27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: christian games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris scott
msg tools
Hi all, I'm new to bgg forums so please forgive me if this post is all over the place. I'm a Christian living in the U.K and I love board games and cardgames and would love to have games to play in a Sunday school setting. Iknow there are a few about but not any really catch my fancy. I have a few ideas for games with a Christian theme which may also be useful for teaching, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would like to help me develop and create games of this sort. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
First one that comes to mind is a relatively new one so it might be hard to get since I don't think it is in general distribution yet. That's Kings of Israel It is not strictly Christian as it is Old Testament based, but by all accounts it is shaping up to be a very good Biblically based game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Ark of the Covenant? It's a Carcassonne variant with a Christian theme. Not sure how much teaching value you'd get out of it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Journeys of Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
First one that comes to mind is a relatively new one so it might be hard to get since I don't think it is in general distribution yet. That's Kings of Israel It is not strictly Christian as it is Old Testament based, but by all accounts it is shaping up to be a very good Biblically based game.

The one I came to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run games evenings at my church with great success. The games are not biblical themed though. Big hits with Pandemic, Ticket to Ride and Stone Age.

For good Bible based gaming (although Old Testament) check out Kingdom of Solomon. I am also a Kickstarter backer of the aforementioned Kings of Israel and looking forward to receiving my copy.

I agree with Sean though. Let games be games. Try out some other themes (understandably, there are themes that I would certainly steer clear of in a church environment), but in the main, there are tons of games are quite acceptable and there's not that many great Bible based games to choose from anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VALIS13 wrote:

Really????? A genuine query from a new user and this is put up.

At least wait until a couple of pages of genuine answers before putting up this one as a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
was the OP request not
fisher1 wrote:
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would like to help me develop and create games of this sort.

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankchris

Here is a list of games in the database categorised as 'religious'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Genesis might be worth a look. Gets you right to the first page of the Bible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capracaligo wrote:
was the OP request not
fisher1 wrote:
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would like to help me develop and create games of this sort.

???

You're not being any fun if you really read a post and try to keep it on topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Sinner wrote:
Another option you might consider is simply letting games be games, regardless of whether their themes explicitly line up with your theology...although you might be surprised at how much you find in the general sense to that end, if you've not yet considered such things.

I wrote a blog post a while back as a response to this kind of question, which perhaps you or the OP might find interesting.

I agree with you that there are many games that are not explicitly Christian games that are perfectly suitable for Christian settings. But I also think it's ok for Christians to ask for or express interest in games built around themes that resonate with things they're interested in, for the same reason that it's ok for Walking Dead fans to be interested in zombie games and soccer fans to be interested in soccer board games and so on.

To the OP -- I have a couple of games at various stages of development that might interest you, if you were inclined to print the files out yourself. One is about the 12 disciples, one is about the process by which the gospels were composed. And there's an auction game based on the parable of the talents, which is pretty rough. But if any of those are interest send me a GeekMail message and I could send the files. And I'd be happy to be helpful discussing any ideas you might have -- best idea for that is probably to start a work in progress thread at the board game design forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out:

Geeklist: Good Christian or Bible games?

Christian Gamers Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

Well said. We are in violent agreement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
A.D. 30
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McCulley
United States
Greensburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Christian myself I understand where Chris is coming from and what Sean is saying. I taught a Sunday School class once and understand the desire to have something different for them to do and be a lesson plan tool as well, which is a huge bonus. There a few games out there that accomplish this task. On the other hand if one is just looking for something fun to do, there are many games to play in a Christian environment. When you boil it down a Christian themed game is just that, a theme, as much as science fiction or Dungeons & Dragons. Agreed that most Christian theme games fall flat on the excitement scale mainly because of the mechanic and not the theme, per se. There is a market for Christian themed games and creating one will be a chore combining the theme to the right mechanic. You would almost have to "rip off" another game and insert the Christian theme. Good luck in your project Chris, and game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would have thought co-op games would lend themselves very nicely to Christian (or other religious) gaming.

With that in mind I'd recommend playing Shadows over Camelot without the traitor to stimulate the thinking and then consider ways to re-theme it would probably also help.

If you decide to come up with a hidden traitor version and want someone to play test it, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of my games believe in Christ, but they do treat each other with love and respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently helping at the New Years Eve Lock-in at my church. We played a few games - a quick game of Pandemic (one of the kids is a huge boardgamer and brought a large selection - I figured he could help me make sure I understood the rules of Pandemic). When I arrived, they were playing spoon which is some sort of seek/find game in the church. However, the highlight of the night (as far as fun) at this Christian gathering was the game "MURDER!"

Yeah, we had people get killed, but we didn't drink their blood or eat their flesh... oh, and they weren't really killed.

It was a blast for everyone, or at least mostly everyone. We ran around the church and tried to kill, or avoid being killed, while an inspector tried to name the killer.

Was it Christian? Nah, but it was fun.

As for the OP, I will second Journey's of Paul as a fairly strong Christian theme that builds on things that you can learn (mostly in terms of the cards, but also the challenging experience of trying to evangelize throughout a region - so frustrating to build a church and then have some craziness cause converts to fall away).

I also have Kingdom of Solomon but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hope to hit this one up soon.

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
I would have thought co-op games would lend themselves very nicely to Christian (or other religious) gaming.

With that in mind I'd recommend playing Shadows over Camelot without the traitor to stimulate the thinking and then consider ways to re-theme it would probably also help.

If you decide to come up with a hidden traitor version and want someone to play test it, let me know.

I'm currently working on a co-op where the players take the roles of angels during the fabled "Fall of Lucifer" expressed in Paradise Lost by Milton (even though the story is not undeniably canon, it is a good parable of the dangers of pride). In it, the angels start as exploratory angels going into Realms along the edge of creation and encountering the first rumblings of the Insurrection (which is also part of the title - War in Paradise: Insurrection). The angels all work together, but fitting to the theme, the angels can be turned to the "Dark Side"... but if they do, they don't change their names to Darth anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was this game I saw at the store that looked pretty good that had a Christian theme. This one: Faith and Redemption. I've never played it myself, but 6 people gave it a 7 rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris scott
msg tools
doesn't worry me we've played enough games of warhammer at church

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris scott
msg tools
Thanks for the responses,I know any game can be used in Sunday school (well maybe not all!!) but I wanted a game that could be used to teach kids about the Bible but was fun to play too. Ive seen reviews on Kings of Israel and it looks quite promising. Thanks all again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Ark & Noah is a nice one :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.