Hide
6 Posts

Castles of Mad King Ludwig» Forums » General

Subject: Accessory idea - castle plot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Honcoop
msg tools
After a few plays of this game (everyone loves it) there are a couple things that can slow the game down:

- Some action causes someone's castle to be distorted and they need to fix it (bump the table, unsteady hand when placing, even the dog jumping on your lap)

- Players asking to take the piece for a "fit test" to see if the room would fit in their castle

and also there is an issue if your table situation is such that not everyone has the same amount of space.

I was thinking it would be great if someone made a castle plot playing mat.. it could be out of a material which is not slippery (for example I have a silicon baking mat that would be perfect material, or maybe something like felt) which would help the pieces stay in place and if it was decorated with a grid to the scale of the pieces it could help with the fitment questions. You could also change the tile draw board to list the dimensions in units, or easier just print a card which lists them for the players.

Also players would have to limit the castle to their plot, this guarantees everyone has an equal and fair playing space. It might require a rule change to allow to remove a piece in some fashion...

If anyone has any way to make this happen it would be fun to try - I have some photo paper which is a little tacky - I may try to figure something out in the future if I have free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My daughter (7 years old) was having some difficulty keeping a neat arrangement today during her first play. She suggested something similar.

My other daughter suggested being able to buy a room in reserve, but paying twice for the right to do so.

BTW, welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honcoop
msg tools
Gastel wrote:

BTW, welcome to BGG.

Thanks! I was active in the past under "MysteryMachine" (no underscores) but my ISP changed so I don't have access to my old email, and I forgot my password. I tried emailing the admins to get access to my account but never heard from them so I just made a new account.

Interesting on the "buying a room in reserve". But I do love being master builder when underground comes up and only I have a stairs going down LOL devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any playmat, similar to those used in CCGs, will do a better job of keeping the tiles in place. These are readily available at most game shops and online. As far as limiting space, I have to disagree here. Building a crazy castle is part of the game and, when you tell someone they can't build something there because they are out of their arbitrary allotment of table space, you're playing contrary to the spirit of the game. If someone's castle is getting large, you just shift as needed. No one should be crowded out of building however they need to, whether it be by another player's castle or a forced confinement for your building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limiting the space upon which you could build your castle would give the game a Patchwork kind of feel, which, with the right house rules, might make for an interesting variant.

It wouldn't work to limit the building space with the regular rules, however, as smaller tiles would become more desirable as open space became less. This would heavily influence the price of tiles, and the balance of bonus cards would be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honcoop
msg tools
There hasn't been any games I've played in where someone has exceeded the size of say a table placemat. I wouldn't want to make layout a key factor in the game. Actually one of the charming things of the game is most people want to make a "cool" or "good looking" castle so I haven't seen anyone go off and make a purely linear castle or anything that would break out of a standard size. It would need to be big enough that its only an issue in extreme cases. We tried to move a castle near the end of the game once to clear up more room - its not easy!

I'll have to look at some mats... maybe one already exists even with a grid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.