Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some games similar to Battle Line or Four Tribes?

I guess Smash Up and even Warhammer 40,000: Conquest are similar too.

And what do you think is the best one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another popular Knizia game, a little like Battle Lines, is Lost Cities. Morels is another great two player game. If you like Smash Up, you might like Star Realms, but it is a deck builder instead of shuffle builder.

I am not sure if this is what you have in mind. I wouldn't have thought any of the games you have mentioned are that much alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Schotten Totten and Lost Cities are the first two that come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game we have that was clearly inspired by Battle Line (that we actually prefer over Battle Line) is Piñata.

Theming aside, picture this as Battle Line where you can also play cards on your opponents side of the table to make it so you claim the particular Pinata you are competing over. Great two player game. (By the way, Pinata is a retheming of an older game called Balloon Cup, but copies of that are quite pricey if you can find them).

I also second the recommendation for Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For starters Battle Line is the best one.

Some others that are similar are:
Lost Cities

Keltis: Das Kartenspiel

Perhaps Field of Glory: The Card Game

Some other small games with simple rules that are also enjoyable:
The Battle for Hill 218 & The Battle for Sector 219 which should be in stores soon. The first will be a reprint and the second is a new version.

Linko!

Haggis

Times Square

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game is similar to Battleline, but disguises it well. You are still competing at various locations, using cards to improve your chances at each, but the values are less known due to the various skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Soares
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personman10 wrote:

thumbsup for Field of Glory: The Card Game.

Also, if you want more juice, I recommend you to try Omen: A Reign of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terpitude71 wrote:
The game we have that was clearly inspired by Battle Line (that we actually prefer over Battle Line) is Piñata.

Theming aside, picture this as Battle Line where you can also play cards on your opponents side of the table to make it so you claim the particular Pinata you are competing over. Great two player game. (By the way, Pinata is a retheming of an older game called Balloon Cup, but copies of that are quite pricey if you can find them).

I also second the recommendation for Lost Cities.

+1 to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few of my favs:

Draco Magi
Strife: Legacy of the Eternals

BTW Four Tribes is AWESOME! I got to pick my copy up from the designer after backing it on Kickstarter as he is local to me (he had a bunch of the local backers all come out for a pick-up party) and I LOVE IT! Even beat him at his own game! xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another Knizia card game is Hungry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you like the most about Battle Line? Is there anything you don't like or wish there were more of?

My thoughts on some of the suggestions:

If you own Battle Line then you can play Schotten Totten with it.
Lost Cities is probably a little bit lighter than Battle Line and it is down to personal preference which is the better game.
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game is a fun game, but one that you can't take too seriously. The card draws and die rolls will make you laugh and/or cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
Here are a few of my favs:

Draco Magi
Strife: Legacy of the Eternals

BTW Four Tribes is AWESOME! I got to pick my copy up from the designer after backing it on Kickstarter as he is local to me (he had a bunch of the local backers all come out for a pick-up party) and I LOVE IT! Even beat him at his own game! xD

Nice! I backed Strife, so I'm excited about that. I'll definitely think about getting a copy of Four Tribes. It looks like the best LOOKING (aesthetically) game of this genre.

Krawhitham wrote:
What do you like the most about Battle Line? Is there anything you don't like or wish there were more of?

My thoughts on some of the suggestions:

If you own Battle Line then you can play Schotten Totten with it.
Lost Cities is probably a little bit lighter than Battle Line and it is down to personal preference which is the better game.
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game is a fun game, but one that you can't take too seriously. The card draws and die rolls will make you laugh and/or cry.

I've actually never played Battle Line, lol. The only game of this genre (or similar) I have played is Smash Up.

I just like this style of play. I guess what I really want is combos. I like being able to play a card that lets me do something and then that lets me keep going, combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I guess what I really want is combos. I like being able to play a card that lets me do something and then that lets me keep going, combos.

Well Four Tribes doesn't really have that and Draco Magi's "Dragons" all have special powers but nothing that really chains together like you are saying. Maybe one enhances the melee value of another but that's about the extent of it heheh. They are both Battle-Line-esque in that there are locations in the center that you are playing cards to to conquer and win the game.

Strife on the other hand is exactly what you are talking about so...

I still love both Four Tribes and Draco Magi and wholeheartedly recommend them as excellent strategic 2-player games. If you do order yourself a copy of Four Tribes do yourself a favor and ask the designer if he has any play-mats left as they are GREAT!

And if you really like setting up combos may I recommend: Lagoon: Land of Druids its not a battle-line game but it does let you do exactly what you are talking about liking xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Field of Glory the card game is NOTHING like Battle Line. It is an awesome game but not even close to being similar. This needs to be clearly stated since previous posts recommended it as being similar.

Field of Glory is a war game via card form.

Battle Line is an abstract game where you match colors and numbers up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

I've actually never played Battle Line, lol. The only game of this genre (or similar) I have played is Smash Up.

I just like this style of play. I guess what I really want is combos. I like being able to play a card that lets me do something and then that lets me keep going, combos.

It looks like you have Dominion. Is there something about Dominion you don't like? Dominion: Intrigue has more interactivity and might be more interesting to you. Dominion is my favorite game for combos, but I own all the expansions.

Star Realms has factions where two or more cards of the same faction have increased power and having cards that allow you to draw additional cards will result in longer and more powerful turns. Star Realms is a lot of fun and there is a free Android/iOS app so you can try it out.

Race for the Galaxy has a lot of ways that cards can be used in combination with each other, but they won't necessarily result in longer turns. It is a great game, though it has a bit of learning curve due to the icons.

I know other games, like Nightfall, Puzzle Strike, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and Android: Netrunner have combos, but I haven't played them and couldn't say anything more about them.

You might want to post a thread asking about games that have combos and mention that you really like Smash Up. Mentioning Battle Lines really throws everyone off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.