Escape: The Curse of the Temple» Forums » Variants

Subject: Different temples (campaigns) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Considering how much material the new Big Box includes, you usually don't include all you have in one game. Personally, i think it might be interesting to select the material you use according to a theme - for example use a specific character party, select 6-7 particular curses, combine certain quests or special rooms etc. In short, play in "another" temple each time and escape/raid them all.

For example:

Shrine of Life
Tree Quest, Fountain, Curses: Strangle Vines, Poison, Bottomless Pit, Cursed Golden Mask, Set-Die-aside-Curse

The Vault
Chalice Quest, Treasures

Temple of Madness
Mirage Room, Illusions, Curses: Misinformation, Mute, Bodyswitch, Pitfall, Weakest Link, Mind Control

The Maze
Linked Chambers, Double Chambers, Gear Room, Dungeon, Pit, only 2 of the 4 3-gem-chambers

Curse of the Statues
Chaos Room, Curses: Mute, Bodyswitch, Cursed Golden Mask, Stand, Really Cursed, Cursed Hand, additional random Curse

The Pyramid
Obelisk Quest, Ghost Quest, Sacrifice Quest

Any thoughts? Own temple ideas, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Not that the game gets stale, but a scenario list like this is definitely a way to keep things fresh and give each play through a bit of a unique flavor.
With all quests, illusions, treasures, etc, with everything else, it starts to feel like the same huge undertaking, which is certainly fun, but the idea of separate temples is enticing.

You could actually have each temple in its own mini box, set up and ready to go, simply by carrying over the gem chambers, gems, and whatever other few shared elements there are. Soundtracks could even be exclusive if you could find some to fit the theme.

I might argue that this may be how they should have designed expansions in the first place.. As if they were their own temples, each with properly themed curses, quest or two, treasures, etc, and maybe even a themed soundtrack each expansion.

In any case, with traps coming, and these new queenies (how can I get them, ah!) we can probably come up with a lot of cool temples.

I'll be thinking about this at work today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some more:

The Teample
No single-gem rooms (but all 4 multi-gem-rooms)
Linked Chambers, Pit, Chaos Room, Constellation Room (Linked Chambers are single gem rooms)
Curses: Mute, Soul Swap, Magical Bond, Misinformation, Mind Control
Treasures (allow exchanging treasures when in same room): Golden Mask, Counterspell, Teleport, Big Torch, Secret Passage, Keys, Time Out

Clockwork Chambers
Mayan Calendar Side 1 (gems can't be placed out of order), Gear Chamber
Characters: Mechanic 1, Adventurer 1, Muscleman 2, Illusionist 1, Priest 2

Hidden Exit Temple (Edit)
Exit is put aside, players need to find both pieces of the map to place it
Narrow Passage
Treasures: 2 Keys, 3 Gems, 2 Map pieces (Short-Cut or any other placeholder - in either case the treasure can't be used the normal way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any of the new Queenies, but I'll give it a shot.

The Dark Tomb

A dark and difficult to explore haunted tomb, where the light of your torch and the glow of a healing mask are your own bastions of hope against the old spirits determined to make you lose your way and become trapped in the winding corridors of their resting place.

Tiles:
Include the Pit (and maybe Dungeon? I don't have it, but it sounds appropriate, perhaps Narrow Passage as well, but I haven't seen it)
Exclude 4-entrance rooms (except 4 Gem Rooms and divided chambers)

Quests:
Ghost Chamber
Sacrifice Altar

Curses:
Lost Die, Broken Die, Strangle Vines (custom rule version), Doomed, Double Cursed, Cursed Gold Mask, Trap, Smashed Treasure

Treasures:
Big Torch, Double Torch, Healing Mask, Secret Passage, Healing Cross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Olheiser
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas! I have to say I love this game and the ability to add things and making themed temples is a great idea, I get a little overwhelmed sometimes coming up with ways to randomize incorporating the various eXtra curses/tiles and when I don't play for a while I sometimes forget what some of the curses do. I also I agree that would have been a better way to do the expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.