Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
What did you guys end up playing?

Yeah. Recap please. For those that missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I saw played

Sushi go
Sequence
Red7
K2
Imperial settlers

There could be more that's just what I noticed.
I think 12-14 people. Not bad for first turnout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good time... enjoyed learning Imperial Settlers, thanks Jeremy!
Hopefully these gaming nights will become a staple in Waconia. Let me know if anyone wants to do some gaming on the weekends as that will usually work much better for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am available Friday night and Saturday for gaming in/near Waconia.

I'm going to geeklist the games played like MBGM does. I'll post links here to the geeklists and the meta-list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There will need to be plenty more game nights around Waconia. I probably have 100 games that I need to play and Tim, Jeremy, and Steve all brought more games I'd be willing to try. I know Mike has a ton as well.

Plus all the games worth repeat plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy P
United States
waconia
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was really nice to meet up last night and partake in one [two] of my favorite pastimes, boardgames [and drinking]. I have to admit I'm a wee bit envious of the folks I see on BGG or Reddit's /r/boardgames that have the opportunity to collect plays of different games like someone who collects a lot of something. It's rare I get the opportunity to play more than one game in a typical week so playing three games in a night is, like, at least two times as many as usual!

The next 'official' game night will be Wednesday, 1/28.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make that one as my wife is going to be out of town and I'll be wrangling a 3 year old. In lieu of it, I would we more than welcoming of a weekend meetup. Traditionally Saturday or Sunday afternoons work best. I know this weekend is already booked solid for me, but Saturday the 24th or Sunday the 25th would likely be perfect! Maybe that would also work for a few of you who expressed interest, but couldn't make it on a weeknight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dohrn Jr
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Jeremy, as I messaged you, I was unable to make it after all due to my wife and 3 year old being sick. I would still love to meetup sometime...hope to make the next official meetup, and am definitely open to some additional meetups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, I can game Friday night or Saturday. Or possibly even a quick game tonight just to get together and connect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy P
United States
waconia
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really sorry you couldn't make it, Tom. I know you were looking forward to it. I completely relate to the plight of a boardgamer with young kids. I often wondered what I could get for my son in a math trade. Eventually I realized that would have only been a short sighted win. Alas, I press on carefully grooming him to become a fierce board game competitor.

Also, I'm pretty interesting in grabbing Roll for the Galaxy or Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Since I'll likely be playing it with you folks I didn't know if anyone had any thoughts on these 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisecow wrote:
I'm really sorry you couldn't make it, Tom. I know you were looking forward to it. I completely relate to the plight of a boardgamer with young kids. I often wondered what I could get for my son in a math trade. Eventually I released that would have only been a short sighted win. Alas, I press on carefully grooming him to become a fierce board game competitor.

Also, I'm pretty interesting in grabbing Roll for the Galaxy or Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Since I'll likely be playing it with you folks I didn't know if anyone had any thoughts on these 2?

As a board gamer father of a seven and four year old, I can tell you that there are some decent board games for younger kids. Mine have been raised on Habas. I've got an extra copy of a couple of them that younger kids could play if you are interested. Sadly the majority of games I play are geared for the age demographic that my kids are currently, but as my daughter has been learning to read it is opening up new possibilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisecow wrote:
I'm really sorry you couldn't make it, Tom. I know you were looking forward to it. I completely relate to the plight of a boardgamer with young kids. I often wondered what I could get for my son in a math trade. Eventually I realized that would have only been a short sighted win. Alas, I press on carefully grooming him to become a fierce board game competitor.

Dice games are hard at the brewery without a good dice tray. I've consciously avoided leaving any there for that reason.

That being said, I'd play Roll. I know nothing about Ludwig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy P
United States
waconia
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike! Do you have any particular recommendations for Habas games? I know Animal Upon Animal seems to get recommended frequently. I've debated grabbing it a couple times - but 3 year olds aren't necessarily known for their elegant dexterity.

Right now we've been playing Gamewright's Hisss and I recently ordered Feed the Kitty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy P
United States
waconia
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:

Dice games are hard at the brewery without a good dice tray. I've consciously avoided leaving any there for that reason.

That's a valid point I didn't consider. Roll comes with some dice cups that might mitigate the potential losses.

And Ludwig is from the same designer as Suburbia - so it would probably be right up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisecow wrote:
ekimmel wrote:

That's a valid point I didn't consider. Roll comes with some dice cups that might mitigate the potential losses.

And Ludwig is from the same designer as Suburbia - so it would probably be right up your alley.

I find Ludwig to be a lighter more thematic game than Suburbia. I love playing both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisecow wrote:
Thanks Mike! Do you have any particular recommendations for Habas games? I know Animal Upon Animal seems to get recommended frequently. I've debated grabbing it a couple times - but 3 year olds aren't necessarily known for their elegant dexterity.

Right now we've been playing Gamewright's Hisss and I recently ordered Feed the Kitty.

Jeremy, played several games of Animal Upon Animal with my 3 year old nephew and he did quite well.... when he decides enough is enough the adults usually continue to stack away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3 yr old plays a few games. Loopin Louie, click clack lumberjack, don't break the ice, fire dragon, honey bee tree and animal upon animal.

Also tried rhino hero. When he was twoish there was a game we tried called a little cooperation. He's always been interested whenever I have a game sitting out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure I didn't play board games with my kids until they were 6 and 8. I can still get my son to play Pandemic with me. He's 16. I can get my daughter to play almost anything depending on her mood. We played Java the other day. Some days she just wants to play Citadels or Bohnanza. She's 15. Not many years left. :-(

So nobody for this weekend? I'm available...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:

I find Ludwig to be a lighter more thematic game than Suburbia. I love playing both.

So who here has Suburbia? Can we play this soon-ish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisecow wrote:

I have an extra copy of Animal Upon Animal, Wiggling Cow and Monza, three good Haba games. They are yours. Other good ones to look out for that work with younger ones are Viva Topo!, Orchard, Sherlock, Strong Stuff!, Monster Chase, Kitty Bitty, and Max. I focused on kids' coop games with mine when they were around three so you can help them out. Pretty much any Haba is good even just for the components (kids can play with them as toys after one game, as that is generally the attention span they have at that age).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
Pretty sure I didn't play board games with my kids until they were 6 and 8. I can still get my son to play Pandemic with me. He's 16. I can get my daughter to play almost anything depending on her mood. We played Java the other day. Some days she just wants to play Citadels or Bohnanza. She's 15. Not many years left. :-(

I could come out Saturday, but my daughter has a birthday party at Laketown form 3-5 so it would probably need to be after that. Would you still be out/up for something around 5:30 or 6? I could maybe, maybe swing by for a bit before the party, but I will undoubtedly need to help out with stuff and I work until noon, so that's not a great option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
sancmat wrote:

So who here has Suburbia? Can we play this soon-ish?

I have suburbia but don't know when I'll have time to play again. If I can make the next game night I'll bring it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:

Rick I might be up for some games on Saturday.... Lets touch base tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vormwald1 wrote:
ekimmel wrote:

I could come out Saturday, but my daughter has a birthday party at Laketown form 3-5 so it would probably need to be after that. Would you still be out/up for something around 5:30 or 6? I could maybe, maybe swing by for a bit before the party, but I will undoubtedly need to help out with stuff and I work until noon, so that's not a great option.

Not sure when the family will be back on Saturday. I'll let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy P
United States
waconia
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vormwald1 wrote:
Wisecow wrote:

I have an extra copy of Animal Upon Animal, Wiggling Cow and Monza, three good Haba games. They are yours. Other good ones to look out for that work with younger ones are Viva Topo!, Orchard, Sherlock, Strong Stuff!, Monster Chase, Kitty Bitty, and Max. I focused on kids' coop games with mine when they were around three so you can help them out. Pretty much any Haba is good even just for the components (kids can play with them as toys after one game, as that is generally the attention span they have at that age).

Thanks for the advice on kids games everyone! And oh, wow, Mike, that is a beyond generous and very appreciated offer. Especially considering we haven't even had a chance to game yet! My son loves the couple games he does have and honestly he has the most fun house ruling some of my other games. We'll take out Mice and Mystics and I'll read him the story (full of vocal flair and fun noises) and we just take turns rolling the dice moving our mice through some tiles.

Have fun if you gents can make arrangements to meetup this weekend. I'll be open on Saturday or Sunday afternoon of the next weekend.

(Also, I just ordered Castles of Mad King Ludwig.)

TGIF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [601] |