Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an effort to get ready for a Clash of Monarchs PBEM "league,"* I started a solo game quite some time ago. I've been posting updates along the way, but I just finished both the game and playthrough today. It can be found here for those that might be interested.

*The "league" is ongoing, and can be found here. Anyone interested in playing is more than welcome to join our little group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great and entertaining narrative of your ups and downs learning the game! You brought a smile to my face when you told of Fred's bottling up the battered French army and forcing their surrender after the siege. Crushing wins and sieges are big game-changers, and it seems the AP fortunes improved markedly from there. You also quickly identified the best general use for the Swedes, in running some south to occupy Berlin, and force Prussian diversion of resources to swat away (or in your case, swallow) that nuisance. The Coal can hopefully leverage that to make some local headway during the 1-2 round absence of Prus forces chasing the Swedes.

Certainly some rough edges and bumps in the road for both sides, but it reads like you had a fun overall narrative, and the "light bulb came on" over your head that by around 1760, if the AP aren't losing big, the future, seen over all those bodies and smoking siege works cry , starts looking brighter. For the Coal, that clock is ticking on Elizabeth's departing this mortal coil, and if they haven't wrestled the Prus down by 1760, that -3 MW drop on her departure looms ever larger. Great to read, and glad you are enjoying COM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to read through it.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I initially bought the game. I think I just saw a good price on it on eBay, and Calandale had spoken positively about it. It wasn't a game I had bought that was an immediate play. It sat on my shelf until Peter started talking about organizing the "league" to get a bunch of people playing and learning.

I have to say, I'm really glad I decided to join it and spend the time learning the game. I really wish something would have pushed me to learn the game sooner, because it was an absolutely great experience to play.

Overall, the game is, in my opinion, possibly the best CDG I've come across, and one of the best wargames I've played, regardless of genre. It just gives such a rich experience with all the detail that is in the game.

If I didn't have a PBEM game going, I would have been very tempted to set up another solo game and see how I'd play each side understanding the system a little better--and not making quite as many rules mistakes along the way (I know there were several, but I don't think any greatly impacted the game, as, at one time or another, every power benefited from them.)

Thank you for designing such a wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
How does this league work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically it's just a group of people interested in playing Clash of Monarchs. It was just put together last fall, and so far there are only two games started.

The idea is that after the first game, we'll mix up the participants and play again. It's more laid back than competitive, so there's no rigorous scoring system, leader board, etc. But I think there is some intention of tracking results as we progress, but no system has been put in place as of yet.

Last fall, others expressed interest in playing, but could not fit it in their schedule at the time when things were first getting underway. But they did think that they'd like to play sometime after the first of the year.

If you're interested, please post in the CoM forum at the other site--I can't remember which thread would be best, but the titles should give an idea which one. That should get the ball rolling to get another game organized.

The format is pretty loose, so the participants of the individual games have been deciding what rules they will play under. I think both games, though, have used the same basic setups: all optional rules--including variable diplomacy--with the exception of "limited intelligence." Games are PBEM through VASSAL.

As far as I know, none of the participants had any experience going in, so if you haven't played, don't worry about being inexperienced. If you have played, don't let that stop you either.

One of the other benefits of getting a bunch of people playing the same game was the thought that it would facilitate discussion of the game. Right now, we're still getting our feet, so there hasn't been a lot as of yet, but I hope that will start to change in the near future.

Also, if you--or anyone else--haven't played much, there are a couple of us that check the forum fairly regularly (multiple times a day) that have now have a little experience with the game. So any rules questions that might come up, we might be able to help with. (Some things, we're still learning ourselves, so we may have to ask elsewhere to get clarification. )

Although I think we'd like people who are wanting to play multiple games (not simultaneously), if someone is just interested in playing a game to see how things go, that's okay too, as far as I know.

Link to GameBox COM League Forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. I have played several games pbem, last one was a few years ago. I do like the game and had fun in each. I do want to play again someday but not sure if I can right now. problem with this stuff is there always a ton of games to play lol, then you get too many going. I will certainly keep this in mind though. I would post something in CSW, I bet you get a few more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when you decide you have the time, please check us out--hopefully we're still playing games, however far in the future that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up. This makes me want to solo this as well just to smooth out the rules for myself (as well as learn Vassal so I can eventually play this game more often!) Very entertaining stuff!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have joined the gamebox site, and though I am currently involved in a pbem game -- and only have the time/sanity for one at a time -- I look forward to moving on after this one, and getting drafted into what I hope will be another upcoming game in that league area! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.