Subject: Loving This Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jowett
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing my first two games and they were awesome! My wife and I played a two player game with her as the U.S. marshal and myself the gunslinger. The first game was a little bumpy with us figuring out rules (especially combat). With the help of the great rules summery bumyong put together on these forums we got through it.

We got our buts kicked in the final encounter of the first mission and had to flee back to town (minus three buildings due to the darkness escaping). Nonetheless, we licked our wounds and dove right back into that cave for round two! This time we cleared all encounters with ease (we got lucky with card draws) and completed the mission.

We had so much fun that we’ll most likely attempt the next mission later tonight. We both agreed that Shadows of Brimstone has knocked our previous favorite co-op Eldritch Horror to the sidelines for the time being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hesitate to post a Session Report of your second Mission, if the spirit so moves you! This game needs more Session Reportsshake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are where we will be. And as I wrote in another thread, the balance for 1-4 players at that end of that mission is just noob development. No player, no matter how lucky or skilled could do the mission from what we can see.

We are already poised to be slaughtered on our first mission, which is far from a positive experience for me trying to entice new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Well, you are where we will be. And as I wrote in another thread, the balance for 1-4 players at that end of that mission is just noob development. No player, no matter how lucky or skilled could do the mission from what we can see.

We are already poised to be slaughtered on our first mission, which is far from a positive experience for me trying to entice new players.

You did find the rule which states that 1-2 characters only have to draw a High Threat card at the end, rather than an Epic Threat card, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, yes, it is generally more of a challenge for 1-2 players to fight a "boss" fight than for 4 players. So? The game CAN be played, and still be a lot of fun, for anywhere from 1-6 heroes ... but it is primarily balanced and designed to run 4 heroes. Like a lot of games.

So, while 1-2 players is more of a challenge, 5-6 players will be a little easier (generally). Feel free to tweak the game to accommodate your group and playstyle. Want to make it easier? Add another revive token, or instead of a High Threat, draw a Medium Threat... perhaps with an Elite ability? Run with it. Even with "losing", the game can be a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jowett
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

You did find the rule which states that 1-2 characters only have to draw a High Threat card at the end, rather than an Epic Threat card, right?

Nope, haha. We seemed to have missed that tidbit of info. Oh well, we still would have lost the the end encounter either way. We took a hell of a beating in the first combat we did and were in rough shape for the remainder of the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwin
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
Even with "losing", the game can be a lot of fun.

I think a bit of confusion lies here. Most co-op games are designed around winning. A loss is just the game ending in an unsatisfactory way. But in Shadows of Brimstone, a loss actually has defined repercussions that affect your characters and what their next choices are. So it's definitely made around the assumption that the players won't win every adventure. And that adds to the fun of it.

Sometimes losing means buildings in town are destroyed. Other times it means you lose certain items you're carrying. Sometimes you even lose health or sanity. It's a pretty cool idea that fits in great with the campaign style design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asurin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jowzam wrote:
Nope, haha. We seemed to have missed that tidbit of info. Oh well, we still would have lost the the end encounter either way. We took a hell of a beating in the first combat we did and were in rough shape for the remainder of the quest.

Did you recover D6 health and/or sanity after the fight? ("Catch your Breath" p27 of the rulebook). We have a habit of forgetting that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.