Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Kanban: Driver's Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: What's the point of Designs without parts on them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Whittaker
United States
Ogdensburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than wanting it just for the banked time or the training book, I can't see any reason to take a vanilla design plan. Am I missing something?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garion0000 wrote:
Other than wanting it just for the banked time or the training book, I can't see any reason to take a vanilla design plan. Am I missing something?

When you claim a car to your garage, you must give up a design plan of the same color.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one tile of each of the 6 car-part colors. Using the non-upgradable blueprint allows you to buy a car of that color without "wasting" one of the six.

If you want to maximize your chances of upgrading parts on black cars, taking the non-upgradable tile might be a good thing for you.

It's probably a bigger consideration in the 4-player game, and much less a concern in the 2-player game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garion0000 wrote:
Other than wanting it just for the banked time or the training book, I can't see any reason to take a vanilla design plan. Am I missing something?


Strategic spoiler alert:
It's always good to take two plans for the same model type when in the planning dept. One to upgrade a part and one to claim the matching car. The plans without parts are only useful to claim cars. Once both plans are used players can achieve a tested design. These tested designs enables players to score points at mid and end game.

Now some perspective on the game's design for those interested:
The plans without parts are needed mechanically in the game to ensure there is always a plan in the game to claim each model of car. If there were only 6 plans with parts, once all 6 part plans were used as upgrades for a given car type there would be no longer a way to claim that model type from the test track.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pincao wrote:


If there were only 6 plans with parts, once all 6 part plans were used as upgrades for a given car type there would be no longer a way to claim that model type from the test track.


That would suck!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garion0000 wrote:
Other than wanting it just for the banked time or the training book, I can't see any reason to take a vanilla design plan. Am I missing something?


How are you claiming cars when you play the game? The rules say you need to discard a design of the same colour as the car you are claiming. It's far better to discard a "vanilla" design than one you can upgrade for potential bonus points throughout the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veehyvez
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes that's the only tile left in design area that you might need, in one of my games I went to administration knowing that the game was over because Sandra was there and it had triggered end game so I used one shift to take a design tile and one shift to grab a car from the track, I was pretty proud of myself that day, sucked that I lost by two points though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nezrul wrote:
... I went to administration knowing that the game was over because Sandra was there and it had triggered end game so I used one shift to take a design tile and one shift to grab a car from the track...


Sorry to disapoint you, but that play was illegal.
At admin, you can only work and/or train in one department and/or at administration.

Sorry.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game everyone was going for a single color car in an attempt to twart everyone else. All parts ended up upgraded and the one plan left was extremely valuable because of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.