Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D.

Gunnison
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
D'oh indeed!
So we played the other night and the group called a vote and passes to exile a player, who lo and behold was not a betrayer...we looked through the rules and couldn't find any negative effects (ie: morale hits) for each survivor they controlled, am I correct in the assumption that there is no reprocussions for getting it wrong unless it is the second time?
Seems a little unbalanced that there are no consequences for the colony for getting it wrong but the exiled player is essentially screwed. We did see that you can attack other survivors so can the exiled just run around and kill members of the colony using the combat rules based off their unused combat dice pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no negative consequences other than you're halfway to ending the game (through a second wrongful exile) and the traitor now has one less person to contend with in the colony.

Also technically yes the exiled individual could start attacking everyone but to what end? They should instead start working toward their new Exiled Objective. Of course one of those objectives may require some attacking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, now that exiled player cannot help with food or with Crisis objectives, so your other consequence is alienating someone who might have helped later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsvetin Petkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, the exiled player can still help with the food by offhanding it to a non exiled player who can bring it back to the colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtogol wrote:
Actually, the exiled player can still help with the food by offhanding it to a non exiled player who can bring it back to the colony.

My DoW rules radar has been off lately but I'm pretty sure you can't do this. When you hand off a card you can only use it for it's scrap junk pile effect, which is not adding it to a crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Avtogol wrote:

My DoW rules radar has been off lately but I'm pretty sure you can't do this. When you hand off a card you can only use it for it's scrap junk pile effect, which is not adding it to a crisis.

An exiled player can still request, and fill requests with non-exiled players. They cards still have to be played immediately. If the Exiled player requests a food, they can only use it to increase a die. If they give a food, it goes to the waste and adds tokens.

Also, on the original topic, remember a Exiled Secret Objective typically does not require that the main objective is complete, so they exiled player can potentially take revenge and bring Morale to 0 if they have the rest of their new objective done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to one of my games once, which kinda sucked as there was no traitor and we didn't manage to get our objectives done without that person....he was holding lots of cards and paranoia took over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never exile the wrong survivor. I only sometimes exile a non-traitor survivor.

Try playing this a bit more cutthroat and you'll see why it's great that exiling has no penalty except for the possibility of ending the game prematurely on a wrongful second exile. If people are actually playing to win rather than jeopardizing their possibility of winning to ensure a group victory, then exiling becomes a necessary threat to rein back in people who are a *tad* too selfish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played with betrayers and Exile situations yet, but in preparation, how do you determine whether you've exiled two non-betrayers? When you Exile someone, do they reveal whether they were a Betrayer or not? And do they discard their original Secret Objective to be replaced with the Exiled card, or do the two go together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
AMarsReject wrote:
I've not played with betrayers and Exile situations yet, but in preparation, how do you determine whether you've exiled two non-betrayers? When you Exile someone, do they reveal whether they were a Betrayer or not? And do they discard their original Secret Objective to be replaced with the Exiled card, or do the two go together?

The Exiled objective cards tell you what to do.

If you were not a Betrayer, you discard your objective and the Exiled objective replaces it.

If you were a Betrayer, you keep both and replace just one part of your previous objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right, so everyone knows you were or were not a betrayer by whether or not you discard your original Secret. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Wetzel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The only repercussion is that if you exile two non-betrayer players then morale is reduced to 0 immediately and game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Ward
United States
Colorado Springs
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
danlicata wrote:
Avtogol wrote:

An exiled player can still request, and fill requests with non-exiled players. They cards still have to be played immediately. If the Exiled player requests a food, they can only use it to increase a die. If they give a food, it goes to the waste and adds tokens.

Also, on the original topic, remember a Exiled Secret Objective typically does not require that the main objective is complete, so they exiled player can potentially take revenge and bring Morale to 0 if they have the rest of their new objective done.

I happened across Plaid Hat's FAQ document for Dead of Winter. According to it, an exiled player CAN contribute directly to the colony food supply (FAQ 5.4.4).
Quote:
5.4.4 Can an exiled player add food tokens to the colony by playing a food card?
Yes.

FAQ PDF:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/dow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koscove wrote:
I happened across Plaid Hat's FAQ document for Dead of Winter. According to it, an exiled player CAN contribute directly to the colony food supply (FAQ 5.4.4).
Quote:
5.4.4 Can an exiled player add food tokens to the colony by playing a food card?
Yes.

FAQ PDF:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/dow...

Yeah, that's under review (along with the Edward White un-ruling and maybe some other stuff), according to Jon in another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.