Popular Tags: [View All]
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for first time today, and like many here, want to buy it immediately. 6-players game, in which, randomly, 2 who played before was in Allies whilst all 3 Axis players were first timers. 30-point lead rule was mentioned but guy explaining said we would not be playing that.

During the game, Axis did manage to race to huge score lead, definitely well over 30 points. However the Allies managed to capture German & Italian capitals in penultimate round.

Reading more about it on BGG, it would seem most would recommend this optional rule, otherwise gain is heavily in favour of Allies? Their strategy of sitting back, preparing lots of status whilst Axis gain points, but crush us with capital invasion worked well.

How many here would always play with optional tournament rules, and recommend it in all games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need the tournament rules if the players are experienced with the game at all. I would say that the game is fairly balanced, but most of the Axis wins are through 30 point sudden death. Without this, the Allies would win almost every time.

Forgoing the tournament rules in the first game might be worthwhile, so that players can see and understand that Allies strength is later in the game. If you play tournament rules from the very beginning, many people might draw the conclusion that Axis is too strong after 1 or 2 games, because they never even got to the point where Allies are stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chooi wrote:
How many here would always play with optional tournament rules, and recommend it in all games?

Definately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer himself has advised to always use this rule.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1237854/please-use-tournamen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for confirming what I suspected. Will indeed ensure 30-point rule is applied to all my future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Tournament Rules and no longer consider them optional. We also use a bidding system where, to date, most often the Axis players only needed 25 to win to that of the usual 30. Now after a few games, we sense that there is a learning curve to this game and only time will tell if the bidding will change over time. The reason I say this is that the most current games were won by the Axis who won by 25, then in continuing play (in spite of the win) later went on to achieve the 30 point Tournament Rules win. Axis players are doing a better job of utilizing the cards.

One thing we know for certain is that the Axis countries should be comprised of the more experienced players in our group. As with any card-driven game, the ones who memorize the cards do better than those who are new to the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so, is 30 pts. the accepted norm? if in a normal game the axis can quickly get to 30 pretty easily, wouldn't 35-40 make more sense?

and what is bob (see above) referring to with "only time will tell if the bidding will change over time"? (what bidding?)...thanks

(my game hasn't arrived yet, but after reading the rules I don't remember there being any "bidding"?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30 is the official rule.

The "bidding" in question is an unofficial recommendation for players who think the teams are unbalanced.

You are basically bidding the amount of point lead axis needs to win. If axis is strong, bids are high and that weakens them. If axis are weak, bids are low and that strengthens them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.