Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you weigh in if we can/should be using player cards from an entire cycle when playing through the APs?
I have been opening and adding one at a time, but I have only completed mirkwood cycle.
For future cycles can I buy the whole thing to build decks to take through the encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do anything you'd like -- there's not a rule or anything like that that states you cannot. It's up to you: if you feel like it's out of the spirit of the game to use player cards released later than the scenario, then you can omit them.

In fact, there's an entire channel of videos on YouTube called the Progression Series that plays through nearly every scenario using only the cards available at that scenario's release. You can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr278B6bpwxzin9rzgd4u...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only using cards that for the theme of the deck and/or scenario is a much bigger handicap than using cards only released in the cycle. I far prefer theme over the card restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's designed and play tested using cards from an entire cycle, so that's how I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anatole69 wrote:
It's designed and play tested using cards from an entire cycle, so that's how I play it.

That's what I had heard but wasn't sure if it was true. Is the same for saga expansions? I play 2P with my wife and we just finished mirkwood. We are on the first hobbit expansion and just built new dwarf themed decks, but there are not enough dwarf allies to not need to splash gondoriarn spearman etc.... Was wondering if it is bad form to buy the 2nd part of hobbit to round out the decks
Thanks for the replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They haven't said how they do saga expansions, but since they are still working on the ones for the Lord of the Rings books, I seriously doubt those are already finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We are on the first hobbit expansion and just built new dwarf themed decks, but there are not enough dwarf allies to not need to splash gondoriarn spearman etc....

I'd suggest picking up the Khazad Dum cycle, as that gives plenty of dwarven allies, attachments and events. This allows for pretty thematic decks that have a chance to get you through to the Lonely Mountain, even there and back again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
Only using cards that for the theme of the deck and/or scenario is a much bigger handicap than using cards only released in the cycle. I far prefer theme over the card restriction.

Agreed. I always strongly recommend playing with as big of a player card pool as possible. If the game is so incredibly easy that it's no fun, it's very easy then to adjust deck building from that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that, but I'm playing progression style as a way to get to know the cards a bit easier. Expanding the pool a little at a time helps me to recognize the cards better. But as always, it's about your fun, so play the way that works well for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
I understand that, but I'm playing progression style as a way to get to know the cards a bit easier. Expanding the pool a little at a time helps me to recognize the cards better. But as always, it's about your fun, so play the way that works well for you!

That's my approach too and exactly what and why I'd suggest that.

Play however you like. Obviously you want an efficient enough deck to win scenarios, but taking in one set's cards at a time makes it easier to familiarize yourself with the cards and their flavor since a big part of this game is thematic immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:

Yep, I'm doing this too. There are so many cards now that it helps to slowly get to know them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.