Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have become become pretty numb to a lot of the heavy Euros that my game group seem to want to play (>2hr play time) and am far more interested in more thematic and light-hearted games.

I'd be keen to find something that is more light-middle weight but with nice thematic elements that plays relatively quickly!

Recommend away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecily Parsley
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, middle-weight Euros- my favourite!

Lords of Waterdeep
Cinque Terre
Evolution
At the Gates of Loyang
Bruges
Suburbia
Carson City (if you can find it )

Super thematic but a little longer and heavier:
Dungeon Petz
Lewis & Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz (to a lesser degree Dungeon Lords)

More medium than light but your heavy friends will love the game while it's also very thematic and should be less than two hours.

Also Stone Age (probably more what you wanted) and Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very taken with Viticulture currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Should've prefaced this with the standard "check out the games I own" but suffice it to say Bruges is probably my favourite Euro right now. Loyang also goes down a treat with the wife. Le Havre as well but the longer play time means it doesn't get to the table as often..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes is one of the most thematic Euros that I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the ones already mentioned, I'd suggest

Fresco
Firenze
Glen More
and
Lancaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got to play Santiago de Cuba!! theme plus less than an hour

Welcome to Santiago, the second largest city in Cuba, home of legendary rum and birthplace of the revolution! The chaotic streets hum with the sounds of bustling crowds and busy commerce. Cargo ships constantly arrive and depart from the port. Demand is continuous, if unpredictable, for a supply of local products such as exotic fruits, sugar, rum, tobacco, and cigars.

In Santiago de Cuba, your business card says "broker", but in reality you're a shady wheeler-dealer who arranges deals with the locals and with corruptible officials to move goods and meet the demand of those ever-present cargo ships – and your ability to procure these goods is only as reliable as your "connections".

At the start of the game, nine locals – the Cubans – are randomly arranged on a path around Santiago, with the port being the tenth location on the circuit. Each Cuban has a different ability: e.g., give a player two tobacco, give a player a good of his choice, force opponents to give you something, give money or victory points (VPs), and seize a building or allow a player to use a previously seized building. What are these buildings? At the start of the game, twelve buildings are randomly placed on the game board in four color-coded groups (white, yellow, etc.) of three. As with the Cubans, these buildings give players a special ability when used: convert tobacco to cigars, change VPs to money or vica versa, increase the value of goods delivered to the ship, render a Cuban inactive for the next round, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia plays in under 90 minutes and has a lot of theme integrated into the game mechanisms. Weather affects the work rate, and the players compete amongst themselves as well as a non-player character that randomly takes away some of the scoring opportunities. Plus, you have to get extra labor from the pub. Highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steinberg
United States
North Miami Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Five Tribes would be a good game based on your criteria. It can get a little AP but with more players, then the less likely it is to happen for so long a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that Expedition Northwest Passage is incredibly thematic and barring a first play, should play in under 90 minutes. This is a tense, thematic game with a ton of tough decisions.

There is also Cyclades, which is mostly Euro with a touch of Ameri-trash. The best game for experiencing the Mythological relationship between the Greek gods and their subjects.

and finally Cleopatra and the Society of Architects.
Several classic euro mechanics wrapped together nicely into a thematic Temple-building experience.

All three of these manage to keep the theme above the mechanics which is rare for a euro-game to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grizzly Archer wrote:
I think Five Tribes would be a good game based on your criteria. It can get a little AP but with more players, then the less likely it is to happen for so long a time.

I have looked at Five Tribes but I know it would turn into a slog with certain members of the game group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco
Village
Firenze
Rattus
Cyclades
Kemet
Chinatown
Francis Drake
Jamaica
Quantum
Tammany Hall
Seven Sisters

+1 Santiago de Cuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the recommendations!

After a bit more research, I am liking the look of Deus a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep is a fantastic light Euro with a worker placement mechsnic, it's also probably my current favorite game that I personally own. Gameplay is smooth and plays very quickly. It should definitely get you done in 1.5 hours or less even with a full compliment of players. The D&D theme shines through great and is perfect for people like me who love the D&D universe but despise the complex rules and long play time.

Off-topic: have you tried 5th edition? Much simpler mechanics, and not as many ways to create a truly terrible character (or a stupendously OP one for that matter either). [At least until the splat books come out]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Glassroad from Uwe Rosenberg is one of the best shorter Euro games can easily be palyed in 45 minutes (2 player) and has a lot of depth a brilliant Euro game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
I've found that Expedition Northwest Passage is incredibly thematic and barring a first play, should play in under 90 minutes. This is a tense, thematic game with a ton of tough decisions.

Forgot about this one. Yeah, this one's very thematic. You might want to keep checking for frostbite while you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko M
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Kingsburg. Very nice euro game with dice. And maybe Tokaido.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
wi1ky wrote:
Glassroad from Uwe Rosenberg is one of the best shorter Euro games can easily be palyed in 45 minutes (2 player) and has a lot of depth a brilliant Euro game.

This is what I came here to say, but, the theme isn't so exciting for all people. Managing the cards and the wheels is great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carson City!

You may want to look into Myrmes as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Thebes is one of the most thematic Euros that I've played.

That is great. Also Industrial Waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor, if you're lucky enough to find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lewis and clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
Cesspit wrote:
Niquilibrium wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep is a fantastic light Euro with a worker placement mechsnic, it's also probably my current favorite game that I personally own. Gameplay is smooth and plays very quickly. It should definitely get you done in 1.5 hours or less even with a full compliment of players. The D&D theme shines through great and is perfect for people like me who love the D&D universe but despise the complex rules and long play time.

Off-topic: have you tried 5th edition? Much simpler mechanics, and not as many ways to create a truly terrible character (or a stupendously OP one for that matter either). [At least until the splat books come out]

I have not. I think the last I played was 3.5 (maybe?). I have some friends they are big D&D players. I will as about 5th. Thanks for the tip.

You can get the basic rules for free at http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Back on topic, Kemet, Cyclades and Puerto Rico are great choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:

In addition, I'll add that LoW scales well from 2-5P, compared to some others like Stone Age which only does 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.