Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Work in Progress Thread for Night Watch - Prototype Phase

As the Wildetown Police Department Night Watch Commander, you must effectively deploy your limited police resources to manage the influx of Calls for Service during your shift. However, don't let too many calls go unattended as the people of Wildetown will complain to the Mayor's office, and the Mayor will only tolerate so much public outcry. {To be changed}

Playing Time: approx. 30 min

Download Links
Rules: Under development
Game Components: Under development
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Night Watch - 2015 Solitaire PnP design contest - Idea Phase
Reserved for future content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested!
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently writing all my ideas down, and slowly piecing together a rough rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about the 30min to 1 hour, seems like a long solo game for the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just an estimate at the moment. I'm trying for a 30 minute game at the most. Without a working prototype, it's hard to say at the moment.

Is there an ideal time range for solitaire games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe not. I enjoy playing 10 minutes (Flip 9) to 2-3 hours (Mage Knight) solo games. It depends of my free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks cool!

There are no restrictions on how long a game should play in this contest. Like Santiago said, I enjoy lots of game lengths, but I probably play games that take less than hour more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toombs79 wrote:
That's just an estimate at the moment. I'm trying for a 30 minute game at the most. Without a working prototype, it's hard to say at the moment.

Is there an ideal time range for solitaire games?

Usually the War Games or Adventure games are the long ones!

If you can keep it under 30 min then you are more likely to get more people to play test! Then again, if its a great game people will play it no matter how long it takes... MK is a perfect example!

I like the 30 min range unless the game is so deep in storyline and game play that I could care less how long the game takes because I'm submersed in the game and nothing else matters!

Solitaire games are a fickle thing because recently I've been playing SOS Titanic and I've been having a hard time getting through my 10x10 challenge! I'm finding that I would almost rather play regular solitaire then this game! I don't know what it is but the game is boring me to death and its a struggle just to get through the 10 games! Others will totally disagree with me on this and say the game is awesome! Go figure... and this game only takes about 15 to 30 min!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input on play time. I've played Darkest Night solo several times, and it is a "longish" game that I lost interest in and could not bring myself to complete the 10 plays for my 2014 10x10 challenge. On the other hand, I've also lost interest in Dungeon Roll, and it is a short game.

Solitaire game design appears to have some challenges, especially with engagement. What qualities make a solitaire game of legs to withstand multiple plays and still remain enjoyable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toombs79 wrote:
Thanks for the input on play time. I've played Darkest Night solo several times, and it is a "longish" game that I lost interest in and could not bring myself to complete the 10 plays for my 2014 10x10 challenge. On the other hand, I've also lost interest in Dungeon Roll, and it is a short game.

Solitaire game design appears to have some challenges, especially with engagement. What qualities make a solitaire game of legs to withstand multiple plays and still remain enjoyable?

This is just my opinion but here are some qualities I like:

CHALLENGE - enough challenge to the game where it doesn't kill you every turn or you win easily but where you win about 30 to 50% of the time.

OPTIONS - you feel as if you are doing something constructive, accomplishing tasks or making decisions that bring you closer to your goal. I don't want dice making decisions for me and I hate pure luck games!

A REALISTIC GOAL - I like knowing that I have a goal to accomplish and that goal is not impossible to reach! I have actions or steps to take that get me closer to the goal and sometime hard decisions to make that MAY cause reaching the goal even harder!

ABOUT 30 TO 45 MIN MAX game time - I hate putting in over a hour or two of my time just to know I've reached a point that is impossible to win! 30 to 40 min seems to be the golden mark because if you lose you don't feel cheated if the game was fun AND if you win you will want to play again!

THEME - The game needs a good storyline or theme to pull me in and keep me interested. SOS Titanic has a nice storyline and cool history, its just the game play that sometimes lets you down! I'm partial to WAR, FANTASY and ZOMBIES!

I also like deckbuilding, worker placement, card crafting, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingspud - Thank you for the Suggestions. I'll keep them in mind as I develop my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been tossing around a couple of ideas related to the Calls For Service in my game. At the moment I'm going to have 3 priorities of calls (low, medium, and high). Here are my other ideas:

- Leave the call priority as generic (no specific call type), each category level has an equal investigative requirement to resolve (i.e. all low priority calls need 1 patrol unit to respond and resolve; medium priority calls need 2 patrol units to respond).

- Or, each priority category has specific call types, for example, low priority calls could be traffic collisions, theft from vehicle, or suspicious person complaints. The response requirement for each of these low priority calls could range from a 1 or 2 units.

Generic would make the game easier to design, but is less thematic. Should I try both ways to see what plays better or stick with one and design from there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
toombs79 wrote:
So I've been tossing around a couple of ideas related to the Calls For Service in my game. At the moment I'm going to have 3 priorities of calls (low, medium, and high). Here are my other ideas:

- Leave the call priority as generic (no specific call type), each category level has an equal investigative requirement to resolve (i.e. all low priority calls need 1 patrol unit to respond and resolve; medium priority calls need 2 patrol units to respond).

- Or, each priority category has specific call types, for example, low priority calls could be traffic collisions, theft from vehicle, or suspicious person complaints. The response requirement for each of these low priority calls could range from a 1 or 2 units.

Generic would make the game easier to design, but is less thematic. Should I try both ways to see what plays better or stick with one and design from there?

You've got oodles of time. No reason not to try both at this stage of the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildetown represent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've hashed out a lot of my ideas out created a rough set of rules. I've ordered some pieces from Print And Play Productions so I can put together a prototype and take the game out for a test drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Liked this theme how is it going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to put it on the back burner the last couple of months due to family issues and a significant amount of work overtime. I plan on continuing my progress, hopefully I can get some rules up for review soon. Thanks for the remainder that there is still some interest in the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! The contest deadline is fast approaching (Aug 2 at 11:59 PM). I hope that you're able to complete the game on time. Please let me know if you're able to post components soon or if you'll need to withdraw the game for this year. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile since I've had a chance to work on this game. Unfortunately, I had to remove the game from the 2015 Solo PnP Contest.

I recently printed out a prototype, and played a couple of rounds tonight. There are some changes to the theme, which I'll later change above. I'll also need to put up my rough set of rules. After the couple of rounds I did play, here are some ideas that I need to get down in writing:

- Theme changed from modern policing to Bow Street Runners in the Covent Gardens area of London, England.
- Reduce the number of player meeples from 7 to 6. When the Bow Street Runners started there were only 6 members.
- Reduce the number of city location cards from 20 to 16, or even 12. I found that the crimes were spread too much and did not allow as much maxing out of crimes at any given location (progression towards lose condition when new crime placed on maxed location).
- Likely have to reduce the lose number condition, and the win number condition.

This likely won't make sense until the rules are up, but I just wanted to log my ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.