Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I get to the official stuff ...

This tournament became an annual pilgrimage up from Austin, TX to a more wintery winter ever since I thought a few years back "What the heck, I'll try out Midwest Open once". It's basically a mini-con - fly to Milwaukee Friday, bus to Kenosha, chill a bit and meet new friends / the competition, get some sleep, begin wargaming with one of the all-time classics. Since the $50 registration includes most of your meals while there (officially 3 but there's usually leftovers), if you split a room it's pretty reasonably priced. If want to split a room but you don't know anyone, contact Glenn at the email further down, or you can send me a GeekMail.

The format pairs players according to AREA ratings at the start, so if you haven't played ranked games before, or you're coming in rusty, don't worry, you don't get instantly thrown up against an array of recent champions. As it goes on you get matched by how you've done in this particular weekend, so if you go on a win streak you'll play tougher and tougher competition, and if the dice aren't going your way, you're likely to face someone else in the same boat so you can bemoan your fates together.

What really appeals to me about MWO the most and will have me coming back year after year is the camaraderie and the excellent sportsmanship. It's just part of the culture there that the first thing you want to win when you sit down to play is your opponent's desire to play the game again. And between rounds, or the evening before it starts, mostly we hang out in the game room and chat, or play shorter stuff like Family Business, San Juan, Cartagena, etc.

Ok, now for the official stuff...

Twenty-Third Annual MIDWEST OPEN - Victory In The Pacific Tournament

Saturday, February 28 and Sunday, March 1, 2015
* Saturday check in at 7:00 am. Rounds of play at 8:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 6:00 pm.
* Sunday check in at 7:45 am. Rounds of play at 8:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 6:00 pm.
* Awards at end of last game, (about 11:30 pm) on Sunday.

Cost is $50.00 if pre-registered by February 15, 2015. Pre-registration benefits include:
* $10 off door price of $60.
* Advance copy of tournament rules and Official VITP Q&A.
* 3 meals provided - Sub Sandwich lunch on Saturday, Hot Dog & Brat dinner on Saturday, Pizza lunch on Sunday!
* Follow up letter with final tournament results and your current VITP/AREA status.

6 Rounds of games. Tournament is AREA-rated. Plaques awarded for 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, "Halsey" (Best Allied Play), and "Nagumo" (Best Japanese Play). Every competitor who brings his or her own copy of Victory In The Pacific will be guaranteed to play every round, win or lose. If you're not able to bring your own there is still a high likelihood of playing all rounds.

ACCOMMODATIONS:
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
7887 94th Avenue, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin 53158.1956
Phone: 262-942-6000

Regular room rate is $199.00 per night. Ask for the Midwest Open rate of $99.00 if reserved before January 26, 2015.
* Complimentary breakfast included with room rate.
* Our contract specifically allows carry-in lunches / refreshments.

Driving Directions:
I-94 Exit 344, Wisconsin Highway 50. 2 miles east on Hwy 50, R turn onto 94th Avenue. ½ mile south.

Flying In:
The Brat Stop (I-94 & Highway 50) serves as a bus terminal for a number of bus lines serving Chicago, Waukegan, Racine, Milwaukee, Lake Geneva, Kenosha and more. Wisconsin Coach provides direct service from the Kenosha Brat Stop to Milwaukee’s Mitchell field, and Chicago’s O’Hare & Midway Airports.

Contact Glenn ahead of time with questions, or for aid in arranging rides from the Brat Stop to Holiday Inn:

Glenn E. L. Petroski - Tournament Director, Midwest Open
6829 23rd Avenue
Kenosha, Wisconsin 53143.1233
Phone: 262-654-5044
Email: AREA1@ATT.net

To Pre-register:
Fill out the following form. Include $50.00 payment. Mail together by February 15, 2015. Make checks payable to "Midwest Open", and mail to the above address.

┌─┐
└─┘Pre-register me for Midwest Open 2015!
Name:________________________________________________
Mailing address:________________________________________________________________
City:__________________________State:________________________Zip code:___________
Home Phone: (____)________________________Other Phone: (_____)________________
E-mail:___________________________________AREA ID#:_________________________
Never had AREA ID:________________________Had AREA ID, but don't know number:____________
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pack
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
The Midwest Open really is the best VITP tournament anywhere. The players make it even moreso!

You can get write-ups on previous year's action and more information here:
http://www.gameaholics.com/conventions/vitp_con_midwest_open...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sharp
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Great Mini-Con, fun and short. I've been privileged to play in the Midwest Open for over ten years. Glenn runs a great tournament. New venue this year, and an additional meal! If VitP is on your list, this is a MUST!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there good hotels nearby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case there was some seriousness behind the jest, I don't believe there are any others immediately surrounding the place. Unless you want to see if they'll let you stay at St. Catherine's Hospital right across the road....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.