BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for a tween... with these tastes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm about to get rid of heap of my games and focus on just games we can play as a family of 5. It does not need to be a 5 player it can be 4 as long as pairing 2 people up is suitable. 5 would be better though!

As a result of our streamlining we are looking for JUST ONE new game.

My husband and I have 3 girls aged 11, 9 and 7. As a family we love playing Dixit, Coloretto, Adventurers Temple of Chac, Dungeonquest, and in the last couple of days we have played Space Cadets and the kids liked it although they were helped by the captain a bit.

They think Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Mamma Mia, Theif and Baghdad, and Shadows over Camelot were ok but not great.

They cannot stand Duck Duck Go, Noah or Smash Up.

There interests outside gaming are the Lord of The Ring and fantasy stuff as a whole, Animals, art, acting and monsters. NOT zombies though.

Our family cannot stand games that are similar to others... yes I know we are narrow minded! We don't really like Mice and Mystics because we played Descent and they are both dungeon exploring - monster killing games. We don't want another card game because by now we have so many they all feel similar to others.

One other thing if we would like a co-operative game if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

(If you look at my collection don't worry about the "wanted" games as I haven't updated in a while)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor and Defenders of the Realm should fill the fantasy cooperative part.

Some other games my girls and I enjoy are:
Lords of Waterdeep and expansion
Xia: Legends of a Drift System and
Jamaica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For co-operative I can recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue while not fantasy themed it is a great family co-op with scalable difficulty, good tension, and some great expansions if it proves to be popular. Has always been popular with my gamer friends and is the favourite game for a 7 year old lad I introduced it to.

Fort something different to what you have on the list I would say King of Tokyo. Big cartoon monsters beating up each other and smashing Tokyo by rolling dice.

Lords of Waterdeep also seems like a good fit as recommended above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend Lords of Waterdeep

For co-op, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients might be something different enough from Descent to be worth looking at. It doesn't require anyone to control the monsters like Descent does, it scales from 1-4 players, and if you get Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death it can expand to up to 6 players. The western/horror theme would also be a different feel from typical fantasy dungeon exploring game. But it is in the end, heroes killing monsters, as many co-ops are.

The other co-op option that isn't a dungeon type game that comes to mind would be Pandemic.

There is also Arcadia Quest, which has dungeon crawling, but each player picks a team of 3 heroes and is competing against one another to complete quests rather than co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 wrote:
For co-op, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients might be something different enough from Descent to be worth looking at. It doesn't require anyone to control the monsters like Descent does, it scales from 1-4 players, and if you get Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death it can expand to up to 6 players. The western/horror theme would also be a different feel from typical fantasy dungeon exploring game. But it is in the end, heroes killing monsters, as many co-ops are.

I was also going to mention this as an alternative to Descent. Shadows of Brimstone has us considering selling or giving away our copy of Descent. The theme is different - Wild Wild West meets Cthulhu - and it's fully cooperative rather than 1 vs many.

To me it allows for more roleplaying (acting) than Descent as the story is more open, and I think there are more options for leveling up your heroes. There's also the possibility of injuries, madnesses, and mutations that further differentiate the heroes build their stories (you can attempt to heal all of them in town between adventures). There's no fixed campaign; there are a bunch of missions that can be linked however you wish, and you can make your own story as you. There's also fanmade campaign material already.

Defenders of the Realm is good too. There's an official 5 (and 6) player variant for it, posted by the game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would only play 4 (although 1 adult could take a DM role) but Mice and Mystics is wonderful. Proper Fantasy Gaming, Role Playing, Great Storytelling and Mice! My 7 year old daughter plays it with only a little help but I haver also played it with my 30+ year old gaming buddies. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that came to my mind based on the interest in LOTR was the cooperative classic Lord of the Rings

Also +1 Lords of Waterdeep

I know you said no card games but what about 7 Wonders?

Other games I've enjoyed with younger players and can accommodate 5:
For Sale
Fauna
Rise of Augustus
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Around the World in 80 Days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your replies.

We have For Sale and we like it.

We have Mice and Mystics and we thought it was too similar to Descent. A good game but we felt like we had already done the dungeon crawl, monster killing thing.

We have Flash Point and it fell flat. Not too hard but it was like they got bored with the option of what they could do.

We have Pandemic but once again they got bored with their options.

I have been thinking about Escape: Curse of the Temple. I think I'll have a look in to that and the other games that have been mentioned.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest:

Agents of Smersh
Fortune and Glory
Robinson Crusoe
Eldrich Horror (if its not too horror themed for your tastes)
Legends of Andor
Thunderstone Advance
Freedom the Underground Railroad
Ghost Stories

And if they really like LOTR, check out War of the Ring. It's not co-op but its really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest these:
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects
Beowulf: The Legend
Betrayal at House on the Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.