Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played our first mission of our campaign and loved every minute of it, ended up playing for about 8 hours including our long stay in town, reading all the sheets. Here are some things we're unclear on, or things that seem a little odd to us:

1) When something says you can reroll a Melee to-hit roll, or something similar, is it saying I can reroll one die, or as many dice as were rolled in the current pool (4 dice if combat value is 4, etc)?

2) What happens if you roll the same injury or madness on the recovery chart? I know a second unique mutations kills you, not sure on this one though.

3) One of the sets (I think the one that had the Preacher) came with four tokens that say Fury, Speed, Shield, and Weaken. What are these for?

4) When exactly can our heroes use their abilities, or their side bag tokens? Only during activations? We're assuming that in most cases they can use abilities outside of their activations (we have a Marshal with the Badge thing that makes no sense if he can't use it before our Gunslinger activates, etc), but we're unsure on the side bag tokens. During a fight, if my Gunslinger is being attacked during a monster group activation, can he (or an adjacent friendly/willing hero) use a healing item somewhere in there?

5) How exactly can your hero DIE in this game? So far, I'm only aware of one way, that being double mutations.

And a couple of things that aren't really questions, but just wonderings:

6) Other World Threats. If I understand correctly, if you're drawing threats when you're on an Other World map tile, you always draw from the appropriate Other World Threat deck, as opposed to the normal Low/Med/High deck. But these decks are 5 whole cards, and in the case of Swamps, has only 3 unique cards, making fights extremely stale and repetitive. What's up with this? This game's sheer variety in things that can happen is one of its main strengths, and then half of the missions (the Other World ones) are going to be stale fights against the same enemies 4 out of 5 threat draws. This is really intended? I do realize the 5th card in the deck pulls a normal threat card, but that seems like not enough variety to me.

7) There was a card somewhere that we drew near the end of the mission that was going to do D6 Horror Hits with permanent sanity loss to every hero. After evaluating the possible catastrophic effects (I'm playing a Bandido with 8 sanity), we decided to just toss that one and re-draw for that particular circumstance, for now, and then come get some input on here. This card seems absurdly out of whack in a possibly un-fun way. Getting knocked around by random chance is fine, but the potential to get a permanent 6 sanity loss to my 8 sanity hero would just make him completely unusable from then on, I'd have to retire him. It's not like he has a good Willpower roll like the Saloon girl has for Defense to protect her 8 Health. WTF?

8) With a 6 hero party, the "Powerful Dread" Growing Dread card seems... absurdly un-fun. We also drew this in our final encounter, and chucked it for another one. 2 Darkness spots PER FAIL with 6 heroes is just too much. I'm thinking I'll keep one of them in the deck, but maybe house rule it to 1 Darkness move per fail instead of 2. Thoughts?

Overall, insanely fun game that we're already chomping at the bit to play again. We can't wait to slay more monsters and have more horrible mutations! Woo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Munro
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1- Depends. When you roll dice you have the option to roll one (or more) at a time or all at once. A reroll lets you reroll all of the dice that just left your hand. Rolling all of your dice at once maximizes the value of rerolls, because you can spend a grit or ability to reroll EVERYTHING. Rolling one at a time lets you avoid over-assigning hits.

2- My understanding is that nothing happens.

3- Don't know. (Don't have my set out right now). I do know that FFP includes extra components to facilitate house-rules. Perhaps this is the purpose?

4- Basically any time EXCEPT that healing items cannot be used after (or in response to) damage being rolled.

5- Not too many ways. Don't remember them all at the moment, but it is not a common occurrence.

6-8- Not really sure on these. I have only played a few games myself. My understanding is that FFP wants you to have fun with this game above all else. I would not hesitate to house-rule or remove things that get in the way of that. Play it however you find fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Some quick answers:

1) You can use 1 Grit to Re-roll any of the dice you rolled at the same moment. So if you roll 4 dice at the same time, you may Re-roll 0-4 of them, as you see fit.

2) If you roll some Injury or Maddness again you take the one above it (last line of the introduction on the charts themselves). This means that you can acquire each Injury or Madness just one time. The higher in the table, the more severe the results (see also answer 5).

3) They are indeed from the Swamps, with the Preacher. They are for some of the Sermons; you can easily find out which ones by reading these cards.

4) In general, abilities and Sidebag tokens can be used at any time. Exception being Dynamite, which can be used as a Ranged Attack and therefore only during your Activation.

5) There's also the possibility to roll/reach the uppermost Injury or Madness in the Chart; they say your Hero is dead.

6) Time for user generated content, or maybe FFP plans to add some more cards with the additions that are in the pipeline for Wave 1.5 / 2. There indeed is not much variation. Use the cards from both sets for the Mine Enemies (I suppose you already do)... Maybe even trim the doubles, meaning your regular Threat will be more common.

7) That seem to be a little too strong, indeed. Maybe D3 is a little better; I didn't see that card hit my table (yet).

8) Without Grit your Posse of 6 players might indeed see the Mission end at that point. This card seems a little bit strong. Maybe house rule something with number of players, or max out the damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome, thanks for the replies so far! To be clear, with question 1, I was not referring to grit at all, as I realize that allows you to reroll your entire pool of just-rolled dice. I'm referring to items and/or abilities that call for rerolling a "Melee to-hit roll," or ranged, or whatever else.

I did find the UFAQ link, and scanned through that. Some answers on there seemed to indicate that any non-grit reroll is one die only, not the entire pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
1-4 are handled.

5. In addition to double mutations and rolling off the top of the injury/madness tables, you can also be sucked into a void twister as a town event.

6. Yes, the other world threats are really poor. If facing them while they aren't brutal, they tend to be harder than regular enemies, but not enough to justify facing half the numbers and no mixed groups. And when you get brutal, it's almost as if they were an afterthought. There is one where instead of being listed with +1 defense, it is listed with the new value (4) for defense, which means that for brutal enemies who are already def 4, the brutal regular and brutal otherworld are almost identical, so the fact that you are fighting fewer of them makes that threat piss easy.

7. That card is poorly worded. If it doesn't explicitly say "permanent" then it's just damage. They were just trying to say each hit does 2 damage, but were not consistent with the wording.

8. Spend 1 Grit each to cancel it. No, really, if you've got people who eat through their grit and don't save one for emergencies, then they are causing your failure, not the card. Force them to buy a tonic, or carry an extra to hand out (since growing dread are usually revealed before drawing the threat on the final fight, you should be able to hand tonics out to anyone on the same map as you.

Or make someone carry the book that cancels darkness moves on the track. It is only useable once per adventure, but all the moves for that card are done at once, so it completely negates the card. Much like saving a grit/tonic, it's a question of what is more important to you - avoiding a rare card or the one weight it costs to carry the book around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7)

The card you are referring to is probably the growing dread card called Cosmic Insignificance. If it was the Scavenge card then as apesamongus said that one is poorly worded.

But Cosmic Insignificance DOES do permanent Sanity loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United Kingdom
Whaley Bridge
High Peak
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the replies so far! To be clear, with question 1, I was not referring to grit at all, as I realize that allows you to reroll your entire pool of just-rolled dice. I'm referring to items and/or abilities that call for rerolling a "Melee to-hit roll," or ranged, or whatever else.

I did find the UFAQ link, and scanned through that. Some answers on there seemed to indicate that any non-grit reroll is one die only, not the entire pool.

We've actually been wondering the same thing, so I'd be interested to hear if there are any confirmed answers as to how to handle these rerolls.

We've been allowing a reroll of all dice in the pool but differentiating it from a grit roll by making it an all or nothing roll. ie if you roll 4 dice you must reroll all 4, you can't keep 1 and reroll 3.

No idea if this is how we should be playing it, but it's worked for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) only grit allows to re-roll all the dice of a particular roll.
any ability that allows to reroll a failed "to hit/defense/..." roll only allows you to reroll a single die.

2) see robkeet's answer

3) its used to indicate the effect of some of the preacher sermons

4) most abilities indicate when they can be used, if not it can be used at anytime during a hero's own activation, some can be used at any point in the current round but its not always clear (specific per ability) and it needs some clarification, hopefully in an upcoming FAQ. sidebag items can indeed be used anytime as noted above.

5) on top of corruption a few chart results can cause your hero to die, some in town (town event or location specific), some for travel hazards, injury/madness.

6) it is indeed limited at current, you can obtain blank cards from FFP to add your own and/or wait for future content.

7) the sanity damage is not permanent, the wording is faulty on the card as confirmed by the designer in one of the threads here.

8) it is indeed a difficult one! note you can always cancel a growing dread card as it is revealed if EACH hero uses 1 grit, its noted in the rules. I think the intent is to combine both sets, so these powerful cards are less likely to come up, and it wouldnt be "dread" if they were all easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:

That is the case yes. There are a few other abilities that specifiy they are like Grit in this respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
7)

The card you are referring to is probably the growing dread card called Cosmic Insignificance. If it was the Scavenge card then as apesamongus said that one is poorly worded.

Yea, but I think CI is less than D6. 1 or 2 if I remember. 1 or 2 isn't going to destroy a character like d6 unresisted can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apesamongus wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
7)

Yea, but I think CI is less than D6. 1 or 2 if I remember. 1 or 2 isn't going to destroy a character like d6 unresisted can.

Pretty certain it rolls a d6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phorin wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

We've actually been wondering the same thing, so I'd be interested to hear if there are any confirmed answers as to how to handle these rerolls.

We've been allowing a reroll of all dice in the pool but differentiating it from a grit roll by making it an all or nothing roll. ie if you roll 4 dice you must reroll all 4, you can't keep 1 and reroll 3.

No idea if this is how we should be playing it, but it's worked for us.

Anything that lets you re-roll a 'to-hit roll' or a 'defense roll' etc is a single die re-roll.

Grit lets you re-roll as many dice as you want. Typically that would be all failed dice.

Note that you can't re-roll the same die twice. So if you fail two to-hit rolls, and have an ability that lets you re-roll a to-hit roll, you'd have to decide between re-rolling one die for free, or re-rolling two dice with a grit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
Note that you can't re-roll the same die twice. So if you fail two to-hit rolls, and have an ability that lets you re-roll a to-hit roll, you'd have to decide between re-rolling one die for free, or re-rolling two dice with a grit.

Or you could re-roll one with your ability, then decide if you want to use Grit to re-roll the other!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Adria wrote:

Or you could re-roll one with your ability, then decide if you want to use Grit to re-roll the other!

Yep!

I'd personally lean toward using the grit first, in that case, because you get more dice re-rolled out of it. Especially if I'm using the Rancher or Marshal - I'd use grit on two dice, and save the single re-roll for a potential extra shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:
Adria wrote:

Yep!

I'd personally lean toward using the grit first, in that case, because you get more dice re-rolled out of it. Especially if I'm using the Rancher or Marshal - I'd use grit on two dice, and save the single re-roll for a potential extra shot.

I suppose that depends on how many dice you rolled and how far you are below your threshold for having a significant turn. The re-roll from the ability is free no matter what, so you might as well use it unless it's one of those to-hit or defense Once Per Turn abilities. If turning a single failure into a success would be 'enough' for you not to spend a grit then I say, "save your grit". If that re-roll still fails, is re-rolling the rest worth a grit? That's up to you. But if you were going to grit them all anyways, then you might as well just save your time and spend the grit from the get go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
Adria wrote:

That really only matters on a Rancher or a Marshal. Anyone else you're getting at most X re-rolls for spending a Grit where X is your number of misses. If you spend the Grit first, then you still get X because there is nothing to use the free one on. If you use the free one first, then you get one for that and X-1 with the Grit. No matter the order, you get the same number of re-rolls in the turn.

Now, there is another situation where everyone needs to consider using Grit first, and that would be if you have a Free Attack. In those cases, it might be better to roll the attacks first and see if you kill everything around you before you know if you want to use free attack this turn. I get that quite often with my saloon girl, as I don't know if I'm going to use my hold-out, boot knife, or fangs until after I see how my initial attacks pan out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
We played our first mission of our campaign and loved every minute of it, ended up playing for about 8 hours including our long stay in town, reading all the sheets. Here are some things we're unclear on, or things that seem a little odd to us:

1) When something says you can reroll a Melee to-hit roll, or something similar, is it saying I can reroll one die, or as many dice as were rolled in the current pool (4 dice if combat value is 4, etc)?

2) What happens if you roll the same injury or madness on the recovery chart? I know a second unique mutations kills you, not sure on this one though.

3) One of the sets (I think the one that had the Preacher) came with four tokens that say Fury, Speed, Shield, and Weaken. What are these for?

4) When exactly can our heroes use their abilities, or their side bag tokens? Only during activations? We're assuming that in most cases they can use abilities outside of their activations (we have a Marshal with the Badge thing that makes no sense if he can't use it before our Gunslinger activates, etc), but we're unsure on the side bag tokens. During a fight, if my Gunslinger is being attacked during a monster group activation, can he (or an adjacent friendly/willing hero) use a healing item somewhere in there?

5) How exactly can your hero DIE in this game? So far, I'm only aware of one way, that being double mutations.

And a couple of things that aren't really questions, but just wonderings:

6) Other World Threats. If I understand correctly, if you're drawing threats when you're on an Other World map tile, you always draw from the appropriate Other World Threat deck, as opposed to the normal Low/Med/High deck. But these decks are 5 whole cards, and in the case of Swamps, has only 3 unique cards, making fights extremely stale and repetitive. What's up with this? This game's sheer variety in things that can happen is one of its main strengths, and then half of the missions (the Other World ones) are going to be stale fights against the same enemies 4 out of 5 threat draws. This is really intended? I do realize the 5th card in the deck pulls a normal threat card, but that seems like not enough variety to me.

7) There was a card somewhere that we drew near the end of the mission that was going to do D6 Horror Hits with permanent sanity loss to every hero. After evaluating the possible catastrophic effects (I'm playing a Bandido with 8 sanity), we decided to just toss that one and re-draw for that particular circumstance, for now, and then come get some input on here. This card seems absurdly out of whack in a possibly un-fun way. Getting knocked around by random chance is fine, but the potential to get a permanent 6 sanity loss to my 8 sanity hero would just make him completely unusable from then on, I'd have to retire him. It's not like he has a good Willpower roll like the Saloon girl has for Defense to protect her 8 Health. WTF?

8) With a 6 hero party, the "Powerful Dread" Growing Dread card seems... absurdly un-fun. We also drew this in our final encounter, and chucked it for another one. 2 Darkness spots PER FAIL with 6 heroes is just too much. I'm thinking I'll keep one of them in the deck, but maybe house rule it to 1 Darkness move per fail instead of 2. Thoughts?

Overall, insanely fun game that we're already chomping at the bit to play again. We can't wait to slay more monsters and have more horrible mutations! Woo!

1. Technically, each die rolled is a "to-hit" roll. The rules allow rolling multiple to-hit rolls at one time to speed gameplay (and for grit). So, anything that allows you to reroll a to-hit means you may reroll ONE die. Grit is an exception, with specifies 'any number of dice just rolled'.

2. I believe that if you roll the same injury/madness you simply take the next lowest. I don't have the chart or adventure books with me, but I believe that it says that on the madness/injurt chart.

3. Those tokens are used to record targets for the Preacher's Sermons. He has a couple sermons that buff/debuff.

4. Unless it says otherwise on the ability, it can be used just about any time, as long as it doesn't 'interrupt' dealing damage.

5. There are a couple of ways. Off the top of my head: Double mutations; Town Events; Travel Hazards; 0-1 result on the madness/injury charts.

6. Yes, you draw from the Otherworlds Threat cards when in another World. The Mines are much more of a hodgepodge/meltingpot of enemies, having gates to many worlds, so will have a larger variety of enemies to face than in the other worlds. Makes a lot of sense, actually.

7. That's why it is important to do a number of things: use grit, beef up your skills, and have Heroes invest in abilities that can cancel Darkness/Growing Dread/Encounter cards. There are any number of tough and dangerous rolls in the game. Rolling double ones for town event, or injury or madness or mutations, for example.

8. Again...use grit, beef up your skills, and have Heroes invest in abilities (or items) that can cancel Darkness/Growing Dread/Encounter cards. The Marshall, for example, has a skill where he can spend 2 grit to cancel a Darkness or Growing Dread card. With the ability to also gain +1 grit per enemy he kills, our Marshall is often rolling in grit. Plus, don't dawdle when exploring the mines so you can keep the darkness level low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:
Adria wrote:

Yep!

Yes, the Rancher or Marshal's potential extra shot would be a case where spending the Grit right off the bat could be worth it.

The scenario I had come up was a Preacher who could re-roll one die of his casting rolls for free. He rolls 2 dice and fails to hit his target. He was unsure if he should spend Grit and re-roll both, or use his free ability and then (maybe) Grit to re-roll the second die. To me, using the free re-roll first to re-roll the lowest die was the obvious best course of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.