Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest January 2015
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got a supporter!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the year lying before us.
That is 10 price money per month - unconditionally!

WOHOOOO!!!

A new year has started and we are running a contest requiring that, what started the year for each of you:

Fireworks

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.
If you could please do me a favour and present your game along with a short description in your posting. That would make some geeklist entries easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo.... I like this theme... now to try to fit in a game this month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris scott
msg tools
I've never tried this before but if i can get my head around the uploading and stuff I will have a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
fisher1 wrote:
I've never tried this before but if i can get my head around the uploading and stuff I will have a go.
There is no easy way to upload it to BGG without making it an actual game in their database - and they frown on people adding games that aren't 100% complete to the site.

What most of us do are post the files to dropbox, or google docs, or our own websites with hosting space and put a link to the files here in this thread.

Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris scott
msg tools
Thanks for letting me know before i got frowned at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Connolly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've never designed a game before. Over the last year, I've been working towards designing a boardgame as it is something that I am really interested in.

This piqued my interest as it is such a quickfire way to go from concept to seeing results.

So count me in. Hopefully my contribution will be worthy of including.

Fireworks, fireworks, fireworks. I think I have a concept in mind but haven't started any physical work. My 24-hour period will likely start on a Saturday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! And you can learn how to link things outside of the 24 hours it takes you to make a game - no need to make things even more stressful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've got one brewing in my head... just got to get it to a point mentally that the physical work can be done in 24 hours rather than having to redo it four times hashing out the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
Dragon Legion Spain President
badge
Come join us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Read Fireworks.
Inmediately thought about Hanabi.

I cannot get it out of my mind cry

I'll try to think about something different. I'm looking forward to develop something on the last week of January, the only one I have available. Plenty of time to eradicate Hanabi and think about something different and viable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ran 7pm Saturday - 7pm tonight. Took a break to put my son to bed before posting. Unfortuately only had about 8 hours of actual time to work in there, so the title text got rushed and I'm not happy with it. Life goes on. Here's the game, I hope that people like it and have a chance to play it. I'm happy enough with it that I'm likely going to prototype it at TGC and develop it further after this month is done!

FESTIVAL OF FIRE BLOSSOMS
2-4 Players, Ages 8+, ~30 minute play time

Festival of Fire Blossoms is a tile laying game where players take on the roles of guild masters in the Society of Blessed Illuminators, competing to win the favour of the Imperial family.

PNP Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt4yq1c2eddtkv4/FFB-PNP-FULL.pdf?d...
Rule Sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/adnqz2eednb2mcq/Festival%20of%20Fi...

All artwork is modified from CC3 licensed images, with the exception of the title background and Dedication Cards, which is used under an attribution license from Jaclyn on DA (http://jaclynonacloudlines.deviantart.com/)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an idea. No name yet, but I'm fleshing it out. It's a card game based around putting on the most diverse fireworks display.

Players don't see what their opponents have down, but can see what they draw/exchange. Cards are only worth points if they are completely dissimilar from the cards around them. If you create a chain (same color or shape) only the lowest one scores. And if the lowest one is part of a different chain then it won't score at all... will tell more when I get back to a computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorburst!

Time for a bit of color! Try to make as varied a celebration as possible, avoid repeating anything at all if you can. Just remember that your options are limited, and so is your time.

The Rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qMqWTEi3kcUzllZlItckQ1UUU...
The Cards: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qMqWTEi3kcRTkzZTg3M0NLMzA... (The best I could do, it's only 24 hours after all, the Peony cards are clipart, the rest is me. You can tell from the ugliness)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
my starting gun. why i didn't wait for the weekend?

http://gamedesigngraphically.tumblr.com/post/108104270565/tr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in two playtests tonight. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was functional. Not perfect by any means, and it didn't play quite like how I envisioned (nothing EVER does), but it's showing enough prospect that I'll be continuing to work on it after the month ends.

Cheers and good luck Patrick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
and fin. sort of.

http://gamedesigngraphically.tumblr.com/post/108153430765/fi...

I have to leave for work now, so that will be uploaded as a proper entry later. looks like it might have potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New year's resolution:

Disqualify everyone not adhering to the rules:
Quote:
Presentation. Upon completion present your game in the current month's thread by writing something about it and by linking to the rules.
If you want to, you may add ONE (and only one) picture to the description presenting your creation.
(Note: You may still include as many pictures as you like in the game's rules!)

"Writing something about it" as Aaron or Thomas did.
"fin. sort of" is not a description of the game - is it?
Also: Presentation has to be within your 24 hours, so: yes, waiting for the weekend would have been a better choice

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Question: As I was reading through my rules I noticed that there were some mistakes. Is correcting errata considered working on the game, or merely clarifying the game as it stands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All work needs to be done within 24 hours. This includes proofreading and correcting errata.

If you are really convinced in developing this game further, do so, once the voting is over.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, Kai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, please post a pdf. I tried downloading it (admittedly through my phone) but it only came as an html or png.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's ok that I posted 3 links? I did not spot that rule until just now. I can remove it if that is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either 1 pdf (containing everything) or 2: One for the rules, one for the components.

3 is one too many.

Which one do you want to keep out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swcblues wrote:
Question: As I was reading through my rules I noticed that there were some mistakes. Is correcting errata considered working on the game, or merely clarifying the game as it stands?
To me, yes, that is considered working on the game.

The way I've done it in the past is that once the game is submitted (i.e. the 24 hours are up and I've made a post in this thread saying I'm done) I make no changes to the game until after the voting is done. Because this is about creating a game in 24 hours, not creating the perfect version.

And there is nothing stopping you from working on these games in the future, after this contest is over. I know I keep working on my games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The board. The cards are more important. I didn't even use the board last night when playtesting. Should I just delete that link from my post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb