Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I think I finally have an idea for this that will work! I'll either start tomorrow or sometime this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
New year's resolution:

Disqualify everyone not adhering to the rules:
Quote:
Presentation. Upon completion present your game in the current month's thread by writing something about it and by linking to the rules.
If you want to, you may add ONE (and only one) picture to the description presenting your creation.
(Note: You may still include as many pictures as you like in the game's rules!)

"Writing something about it" as Aaron or Thomas did.
"fin. sort of" is not a description of the game - is it?
Also: Presentation has to be within your 24 hours, so: yes, waiting for the weekend would have been a better choice

Kind regards,
Kai

fair enough. it feels like the start òf one of my better games, so I'll kêp tweaking it behind the scenes. Pity I mised it, but looks like i'll be flat out at work over the weekend tô
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, throwing my hat in the ring.

A tile-laying game for 1-5 players.

Players choose one of the five sacred animals to fight for supremacy of the skies - using fireworks! Connect firework tiles to gain territory, break up other firework collections, and battle for the largest section of the night sky.

The game will included rules for both solo and competitive play.

Sacred Animals:

Azure Dragon of the East
Green Turtle of the North
Yellow Qilin of the Center
White Tiger of the West
Vermillion Bird of the South
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celestial FireStorm
A game of tiles and fireworks for 1-5 players.
By: Caroline Berg

Summary:
Players choose one of the five celestial animals to fight for supremacy of the skies - using fireworks! Connect firework tiles to gain territory, break up other firework collections, and battle for the largest section of the night sky.

Objective:
Select one of five different five celestial animals. Then connect fireworks of the color of that animal into connected chains across the tiles. Only fireworks which are connected will score points. The winner is the player with the most points once all the tiles have been played.

Celestial Animals:
Azure Dragon of the East
Jade Turtle of the North
Gold Qilin of the Center
Snow Tiger of the West
Vermillion Bird of the South

Rules are here.
Tiles are here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks great Caroline! And the title... oh so cool!laugh

Count me in for this month as well. I just heard about the 24 hour contests very lately, i am really exited. This a nice challenge. Fireworks... that's a bit difficult, but i think i have figured out a (hopefully)workable concept. I will doing my 24 hours from today morning till tomorrow morning. So i'll start in about half hour from now. Hope i can get something interesting.

Okay, first things first, where did i put all my coffee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, while there's no specific prize for it, everyone here should probably join the 4P 2015. It's a challenge to test your games (at least) four times in one month to learn about iterative game design. While you can't post your improvements in this thread, you can fix up your game up.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1282950/4p-2015-challenge-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom!

Interestingly enough, I didn't like the name of my game (it's growing on me.)

I much prefer Aaron's title: Festival of Fire Blossoms.

I was trying to think of some way I could use Celestial Garden in the title, but I just couldn't work it into the game since I was using animal images for the fireworks - and not the peony image that is so common with fireworks.

As usual, here is some of my research and how I changed things for my game:

There are four main sacred animals for the cardinal directions in China, chosen because fireworks had their first documented use in China - so it is only fitting the game take place there. Now, depending on the dynasty the animals occasionally change, but the most famous combination is:

North - Black Turtle (this creature is a mix of turtle and snake)
East - Azure Dragon
South - Vermillion Bird
West - White Tiger

And there is an animal that represents the Center too - the Yellow Dragon (the imperial dragon, the one with five claws!) But I didn't want to have two dragons - so I replaced the central dragon with the Qilin, which is quite an interesting creature, and is still a Celestial animal.

I chose to change the color of the turtle from black to green, because, honestly, black fireworks just aren't going to be visible in the night sky!

As usual, all the art is mine - and it is based on ancient depictions of those celestial animals.

I wanted to make sure that even if colorblind, players would be able to match the tiles, which is another reason why I went with celestial animals - each animal is unique, so even if the colors are not clear, the animals are - and they are the same across all three types of tiles (regular, locked, and celebration) so there is visual continuity.

And I'll stop babbling now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to read through your design process and how you got things going with the theme. I've always admired your themes, they seem like they could make a nice story just by themselves.

You do research a lot. i did some on fireworks myself this morning right after my 24 hours started so I at least knew that fireworks were started in Chinalaugh The first type was the fire cracker which they used to scare of evil spirits or some such.

I'm almost done brainstorming my game. The name right now is 'Fireworker' and its a solitaire game and my try to simulate a firework show. Okay i'll wait to post about it till my 23rd hour. Now, on to the one thing i'm not good at doing at all - art. I wish myself luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, thank you! I love research, particularly when history or mythology is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad I got to it first, Caroline, Thanks!

Your game looks great. I'm blown away at the research and thought you put into the theme. I got as far as, "Gunpowder is from China, right?"

Your art is really nice, too. I never really thought about the colourblind aspect. When I continue work, I'll take that into account. I wanted to do different "styles" of fireworks (as long as they stayed circular), but I didn't realize how tight 24 hours is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is the only game now! -_^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm giving it a try.
Name : Firewood.
I started 5 min ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a revelation!
The name of the game will be: Montreal Fireworks Festival.
I started yesterday at 20h50 (GMT-5). Now, I nearly completed the rules and I'm starting the components. I hope you guys will love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swcblues wrote:
Glad I got to it first, Caroline, Thanks!

Your game looks great. I'm blown away at the research and thought you put into the theme. I got as far as, "Gunpowder is from China, right?"

Your art is really nice, too. I never really thought about the colourblind aspect. When I continue work, I'll take that into account. I wanted to do different "styles" of fireworks (as long as they stayed circular), but I didn't realize how tight 24 hours is!

If there is a way I can tie a theme to mythology, folk lore or faerie tales, I will find it!

My husband sees different colors in his eyes (yes, he can close one eye and see different colors from the other) so I'm slightly more aware of colors causing issues in games. I try to keep that in mind when I design something. It is such a small thing, really, and it can make so many potential players happy.

Art generally takes me the longest out of all the steps to make a game - even relatively simple art... so I try to schedule the largest chunk of my 24 block for art. Even if all I'm going is grabbing public domain images - even searching for that takes time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's really interesting. I don't know of anyone I know who deals with that. If he was looking at FoFB as it stands now, would it be playable for him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W01FVF wrote:
I got a revelation!
The name of the game will be: Montreal Fireworks Festival.
I started yesterday at 20h50 (GMT-5). Now, I nearly completed the rules and I'm starting the components. I hope you guys will love it!

Cards & Playmat

Rulebook

Edit: Here is the missing information for the last post. I posted without it to be within the time restriction limit of 24 hours.

Montreal Fireworks Festival
A quick drafting cards game for two players.

Overview:
Montreal Fireworks Festival is a quick drafting card game for 2 players. The players fight for the title of the best fireworks maker of the world. The game represents a week of the competition during which two countries (players) will try to prove who the best at pyrotechnics is. To do so,players will collect resources and use them to make the biggest, greatest fireworks show of all the pyromusical competition. The game has 4 consecutive drafting rounds during which players select cards for building a fireworks sequence. The player with the highest score win the Montreal Fireworks Festival award.

Time of play: 5 min // 2 Players // Card Drafting Game

----------
Edit 2: I started creating a game about camp fire since I only remembered the part ''fire'' of the month restriction... I had to change a lot of thing to make it work with ''Fireworks''. For example, the four type of resources cards were : Fire Starter, Paper, Fast Burning Wood and Slow Burning Wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like show my game now! It was designed between January 17th 2 pm to January 18th 2 pm. I'm sorry for posting about it now, as i couldn't do that earlier due to connection problems.shake

Fireworker
1 player | Ages 11+ | 30-40 minutes

It's your chance to be a Fireworker - the one who makes firework display shows for the public. And tonight, it is the biggest public event. So you must try to create the your most entertaining firework show yet! Purchase different types of fireworks and launch them in the night sky in various combinations to gain the interest of the audience. But beware, you only have time slot of 1 hour to do all this. So make the most of you time, light up the night sky and work your way to amazing your audience to win the game!

Fireworker is solo strategy game of long term planning that simulates the art of making a firework display. You play as a 'fireworker' making your own firework show and try to gain points(the audience interest) by bursting fireworks. You have to purchase the fireworks in exchange of points before you use them. In Fireworker, you may perform certain actions earlier and set their effect after some turns. Like, a 'lighting the fuse' action may set up a 'firework launch' action in the next few turns. The main mechanics are resource management, action point tracking and somewhat of card placement/tile laying. The player chooses from 7 different types of fireworks and launches them in the 4 different levels of the sky for getting points according to the type of firework and the combination of fireworks in the sky. If you get 50 points or more before a fixed number of turns gets over (the 1 hour is completed), you win the game!

Here Are The Rules: Fireworker Rules PDF

Here is the Print n' Play: Fireworker PnP pdf

pages 1, 2, 3 and 4 are card fronts.
Pages 5, 6, 7 and 8 are card backs.
Page 9 is token fronts and page 10 is token backs.

(I must admit that i rushed a bit while making the pdf, so i apologize in advance for any dumb mistakes in it.)

Hope you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
T hardy wrote:
I would like show my game now! It was designed between December 17th 2 pm to December 8th 2 pm. I'm sorry for posting about it now, as i couldn't do that earlier due to connection problems.shake

Holy Time Machine, Batman! I want some of those connection problems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed your blabling and to read your design process. Your game make my think of Seven Dragons (or Aquarius) from Looney Labs. I think you should give it a try if it is not already done. For sure, I will print yours and try it with my wife.

adularia25 wrote:
As usual, all the art is mine - and it is based on ancient depictions of those celestial animals.

adularia25 wrote:
Art generally takes me the longest out of all the steps to make a game - even relatively simple art... so I try to schedule the largest chunk of my 24 block for art. Even if all I'm going is grabbing public domain images - even searching for that takes time.

What are you using to create your images? Do you use a tablet?

I usually use Inkscape and Gimp and I really think a tablet could help. I often rage to find an image of something I could draw... but not so well with a mouse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Seven Dragons, but I have seen the cards for the game, and I understand how it plays. I remember looking into it when they had their Kickstarter campaign.

Yes, I use a tablet - with Gimp or Photoshop, Inkscape or Illustrator. I'm a professional artist and have created digital art for video games, so a tablet is a must - you just don't get fine pressure from a mouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swcblues wrote:
T hardy wrote:
I would like show my game now! It was designed between December 17th 2 pm to December 8th 2 pm. I'm sorry for posting about it now, as i couldn't do that earlier due to connection problems.shake

Holy Time Machine, Batman! I want some of those connection problems!

Hehe, sorry, I corrected that. It should've been 18th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

you did realize, we are in January - didn't you?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Tom,

you did realize, we are in January - didn't you?

Kind regards,
Kai

Oh holy crap! I completely overlooked that mistake laugh. Haha, guess that's what sleep deprivation does to to you! I mean i should have at least noticed the thread title! I didn't sleep today, so had no sleep in 3 days. I have GOT to go to bed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I started at 2:28 yesterday and just now finished.

Pyrotechnicians
2-5 players
Components
(Both a color and color-lacking version of each page. Although I don't think I added a no color for player tokens, whoops!)
Rulebook

Pyrotechnicians is a bidding / worker placement / resource collection game where players try to build the best fireworks for the upcoming fireworks festival.

Players must gather the required components to build fireworks to change how high they can fly, what shape they take, and what color they are. In order to obtain the components, there are 2 alternating phases. An auction where players bid to get first pick of the available resources, and a worker placement phase where players can gain money, buy resources from a store, or launch their fireworks when ready.

When you launch a firework, it goes on a universal game board, on a 5x5 grid. The more materials you have, the higher and bigger the firework is, scoring more points for height and size. Once a firework is on the board, no other player can lay claim to those squares. So get yours quick!

The game alternates between those 2 phases until the second the last square is covered by a player's firework. Then tally up scores (with some extra score given out for un-used components.)

Geez. This was way bigger than I thought it would be. I worked on it until 1am yesterday, and all day today as well.

Today I learned to tone back the scope of 1 day projects.

I still feel like I was lacking pretty hard after all that work. It's pretty easy to tell where I kind of just threw stuff together at the last minute, I had to get sloppy to get the submission in on time.

I also didn't double check the rulebook (which is something I NEVER DO) - realized last minute that I was missing components, quite a few other things. I tried my best to make sure everything was accounted for, but it got a bit tough towards the end to keep everything in track.

I would have also loved to actually have the time to playtest this out to make sure everything was working as intended O.o

Oh well, it was fun. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love how you brought in the base elements, Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.