Subject: 24 hour contest - January 2015 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hah, I was lucky when it came time for inspiration. I looked up one component to make fireworks for some reason, and the first site I looked at had a long list of elements and what their role in fireworks was. So I studied that a bunch and since each thing tended to have a very specific role, things fell into place quite nicely.

I liked your idea for the game as well. I'm a huge fan of tile laying, and I like the idea of everyone having a hidden goal while doing so.

I found it kind of amusing that there was the discussion earlier about color-blindness. I tried to make player colors not be (red + green) and a few of the other combinations/colors I heard were bad (orange, purple, etc) - but had a really hard time adjusting colors to avoid those.

Black and White are nice ends of the spectrum, but not when space is black and stars/text are white. So, that's 2 colors you can't use!

Then, looking at what elements were listed, and what colors they gave, I had to try to pick a subset where both red and green weren't together, and WHOOPS HEY I DID THAT ANYWAYS.

Haha, but that's OK. That was a restriction of time and focus on my part. I still find colorblindness in games a very interesting topic. Next time I guess I go for shapes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I was thinking of doing something with the powders that make up fireworks originally, but I didn't manage to make things gel in my thoughts (before putting pen to paper), so I discarded that option.

I have always like the science behind how copper creates blue though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at it too, but I very much averted the reality, simply allowing people to mix colors which makes absolutely no sense when you know the chemistry behind it. Then again, I'm not exactly a chemist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ThomasHornemann wrote:
I looked at it too, but I very much averted the reality, simply allowing people to mix colors which makes absolutely no sense when you know the chemistry behind it. Then again, I'm not exactly a chemist...

I think the concept of color isn't something that people tend to care about the accuracy of too much. People understand colors and how they combine, so abstracting the idea seems fine enough.

I didn't know about fireworks color either, and would have believed if you told me that you could add or subtract color to fireworks by some means OTHER than putting different metals in there that burn different colors. =)

Interesting how color is something we knew so little about, but is a key defining characteristic of a firework. (as evident of many games submitted here using color as a mechanic)

adularia25 wrote:
Nice! I was thinking of doing something with the powders that make up fireworks originally, but I didn't manage to make things gel in my thoughts (before putting pen to paper), so I discarded that option.

I have always like the science behind how copper creates blue though...

Unfortunately for me I didn't actually research WHY any of the things I put in my game work the way they do, but the Copper to blue one caught my attention, as it seemed the furthest away from the color of what's burning.

You had mentioned that art takes a large chunk of your time. As someone with no art skills, I wasted a TON of time trying to get things to even look remotely OK. I think I wasted an hour trying to figure out how to get a firework-looking thing on a computer. I followed like 3 tutorials and every time it never worked out. I ended up getting out the incredibly old art set and just drawing/scanning things. I even omitted another hours worth of drawing things towards the end... it was rough. In all things I design, board and video game wise, I always feel like art is a wall I can't get around. I must admit, I'm slightly jealous of how the other submissions look here =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What program do you use? I use Photoshop CS2. I'm not an artist either, but I'm getting used to laying things out at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I downloaded GIMP. I used to use MS Paint exclusively, but when I needed to be able to add transparency to images I was putting in my video game, I was forced to upgrade.

I basically treat GIMP like a glorified Paint, though. I still rely heavily on mouse-drawing with the paintbrush tool. It's all I know haha. I'm getting a better hang of layering, slowly but surely. It was a pain to try to create things in GIMP individually, then combine them all into a single PDF. I had to download an extra program to help me with that haha.

I still find just drawing and scanning to be the best option, even though I'm terrible at drawing too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The strength of Gimp - and Photoshop - (and any vector program too, really) is their marvelous ability to have layers. Layers are great! I highly recommend them.

Here are some options if you aren't an artist, or just don't have the time to make art for your game:

1) Have placeholder text that says "Image goes here". This can work for card games where images are just flavor, and the other text on the card is what is necessary for the game. I've done this before for these contests - though I usually have at least one card of each type with actual art so that people can extrapolate how all would look when the game is 100% complete.

2) Get a good brush set of image brushes. You can find these for free. If you aren't good at drawing trees, find yourself a good tree brush set, and add it to Gimp or Photoshop. Then you can select a tree from the brush set and with just one mouse click you can make a tree.

Sorry if that is a little confusing - I didn't go through how to add the brushes to Gimp or Photoshop. If you want to go this route, I could give you better step-by-step instructions. I'm sure you can also find good instructions online.

Brushes can be found at places like this:
http://texturemate.com/content/brushpacks
http://free-brushes.com/
http://www.noupe.com/design/1000-free-high-resolution-gimp-b...
http://gimpbrush.com/

I have many many brush sets - some I use for quick textures, some I use for adding objects. They are great because you don't need anything more than a single mouse-click to use them (though using them with a tablet is pretty awesome too). It isn't hard to make brush sets either.

3) Grab images from sources in the public domain.

Need a good place to start? How about here: http://publicdomainreview.org/ All of those images are free to use. You can take them and manipulate them any way you want to add them to a game.

4) Use awesome fonts - artistic fonts that draw the eye and make up for not having graphics. Lots of great fonts can be found for free online, on many different sites. I always recommend checking to see the license for a font - some are for personal use only, or may require a fee for commercial use (and so aren't entirely free...)

Some font sites:
http://www.1001freefonts.com/
http://www.dafont.com/
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
http://www.fontspace.com/popular/fonts

Good rule of thumb: if you can't find or don't know the license, don't use the font!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, thank you for this! I will keep it as a reference for future endeavors. It all seems quite helpful, and I had no idea about the fonts or brushes as options at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!

Font options are something graphic designers are very familiar with, and brushes are used by artists in the digital art field - so I'm not surprised you weren't aware.

I love finding the perfect font for a game - and I have quite a collection of them! I also enjoy getting brushes. I have the most amazing chain brush that creates linked chains as you drag the mouse (or stylus on a tablet). It is so much faster than having to paint, then copy, each chain link! With a single brush I can add snowflakes or tree branches, clouds or coffee stains, which certainly makes the creation of images go much faster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonts I knew about, brushes not so much. Thanks for the links, I think they could prove quite useful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jäger
Germany
flag msg tools
Ok, so this is the first time I actually had the time and courage to participate! Please be gentle with the game.

Festival of Finest Fireworks

A card game for 2-4 players. Created on Jan 25, 2015

This is what you always dreamt of! You’ve reached the final of the famous 'Festival of Finest Fireworks# and are competing against the greatest fireworkers. Impress the jury with fireworks of their favorite color. But watch out, they are easily distracted by other fireworks! Will you gain the favor of the jury?

In 'Festival of Finest Fireworks', you play out cards to form a firework. Every round, the jury members will watch the firework they like the most and assign points for it. After 10 rounds, the player with the highest score wins.

You can find the files here:
- Rules
- Cards (nicer looking, but black)
- Printer-friendly cards (less black, but uglier)

In addition to the cards, you will also need 1 pawn per player and 20 meeples (5 of each color - red, blue, green, yellow)

The card files contain 6 pages of cards, followed by the matching card-backs in the same order.

Would be happy to get feedback on the game after the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jäger
Germany
flag msg tools
In addition to my post - here is also a (fake) picture of a 2 player game of my game Festival of Finest Fireworks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can make a WIP thread as well and make changes in that as long as you don't change anything on the contest page, because a WIP is not mandatory. I entered every contest last year. I usually waited to the last day of the month and popped one out. I am very busy, but I love this contest. I am getting my Ninja Bowling game ready for the printer tonight. It was a game I did for this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon creating a WIP thread, remember:
- Create the WIP thread in the WIP forum
- I will not search your WIP thread for a presentation of the game. Present your game here in this thread when finished (or the 24 hours have run out)

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time participation in the 24 hour contest. So i just wanted to ask as to when generally does the voting period start and how does it happen? I'm kind of exited to play some of the games entered.

Don't get me wrong i definitely don't mean to rush you or anything. I was just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These contests have pretty informal voting.

Usually at the end of the month a voting geeklist is created by Kai, and then players have about a month to vote.

Voting means you thumb the one game on the geeklist you like best.

Once voting is over, the thumbs are tallied, and the person with the most thumbs wins.

All of this happens during the next month - so you can work on games for February while the voting for January goes on.

I don't remember exactly how long the voting takes, but I seem to recall that it is about a month long - closing when voting for the next month begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hardy
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
These contests have pretty informal voting.

Usually at the end of the month a voting geeklist is created by Kai, and then players have about a month to vote.

Voting means you thumb the one game on the geeklist you like best.

Once voting is over, the thumbs are tallied, and the person with the most thumbs wins.

All of this happens during the next month - so you can work on games for February while the voting for January goes on.

I don't remember exactly how long the voting takes, but I seem to recall that it is about a month long - closing when voting for the next month begins.

Oh cool, thanks.
Wait, does that mean the voting for December is still going on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe this link is for DECEMBER 2014

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/184740/24-hour-contest-dec...

I believe voting is still going on, as there is no thread or post mentioning a winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the voting for December is still going on, as far as I know. There would be a post at the bottom with the name of the winner, once voting is done.

And I say about a month because sometimes it is a little longer, sometimes shorter... it all depends on Kai and what time he has to get thing done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, since I am a huge fan of this thread, I'll ask:

Have any of you tried your game out and found out how you'd like to tweak it? Not like, an official WIP update thread or anything, but just seeing how well you were able to flush out your idea in the time frame.

I got a full playtest of the game I made in. It definitely had some pacing issues. Things seemed priced well, but money was pretty hard to come by. So, I think I'll fix that by having players start with more money, and have money easier get with the +money action.

Then, I also found that the materials for colors were a bit too rare. Mostly it felt like unless we got really lucky, we'd be capped at 3 of the materials needed. Which, isn't TERRIBLE, but not the feel I was angling for. I figured (as I don't want to include TOO many pieces) I would increase the number of available-to-bid colors in each round, for each # of players. This way it's not as tough to get what you're looking for for those big fireworks.

Other than that, I kinda missed a few rules in the rulebook O.o. WHOOPS

Overall, I was very surprised at how coherent the whole thing was, and how it played out.

How about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Reimer
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
Well, since I am a huge fan of this thread, I'll ask:

Have any of you tried your game out and found out how you'd like to tweak it? Not like, an official WIP update thread or anything, but just seeing how well you were able to flush out your idea in the time frame.

I got a full playtest of the game I made in. It definitely had some pacing issues. Things seemed priced well, but money was pretty hard to come by. So, I think I'll fix that by having players start with more money, and have money easier get with the +money action.

Then, I also found that the materials for colors were a bit too rare. Mostly it felt like unless we got really lucky, we'd be capped at 3 of the materials needed. Which, isn't TERRIBLE, but not the feel I was angling for. I figured (as I don't want to include TOO many pieces) I would increase the number of available-to-bid colors in each round, for each # of players. This way it's not as tough to get what you're looking for for those big fireworks.

Other than that, I kinda missed a few rules in the rulebook O.o. WHOOPS

Overall, I was very surprised at how coherent the whole thing was, and how it played out.

How about you?

I wasn't able to test it with people, just by myself playing different sides of it... pretending that I didn't know what the other mes had hidden. I had fun playing with myself.

The biggest changes are going to come in being more specific with the ruleset and including another 5 colour cards to serve as scoring areas. I may have to change the "dedication" point spread as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hornemann
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we aren't supposed to be posting changes inside this thread I haven't been. I have been playtesting, and I have been tweaking it. If you want to see, I posted in the 4P 2015 threads: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1299656/4p-2015-week-2-disc... and https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1304247/4p-2015-week-3-disc....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jäger
Germany
flag msg tools
I only had limited time available, so I didn't have much time to test it within the 24 hours. However, I did a few test plays afterwards since then and will tweak it - especially how players play out their cards. Right now, players do it one after another which leads to the last player regularly "stealing" points. I want to try that all players simultaneously play their cards, which would make it more a "guessing" game.

I also thought of different distributions/characteristics of each color, but wanted to keep it simple for the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't manage to test the games I make for the 24 hour contests within the 24 hours when I make them, it usually takes me three months or so to print off a copy and test it.

So lately I haven't been testing my game for this month - but I have been testing my game from last September. I only ended up making on change, which is not bad, all things considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.