Subject: How long does a mission really take? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Meys
Belgium
Haacht
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
On BGG it says 90 minutes. On FFG website it says 1 +2 hours and on the Miami dice review it says 45+ minutes.

Reason why I'm asking is because I played doom and the missions just dragged on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most missions have a round limit, keeping the play time down. Also, some missions take longer than others.

I'd say from about 45 minutes up to 120 minutes of playtime (not counting set-up) depending on the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the tutorial and two first missions in what I think was 5 hours. This is the first game of this type for us, so I think we'll get faster with practice and not needing to reference rules. I really did not notice the passage of time (except that my stomach started growling). I'm happy if we manage a mission with setup in 2 hours or under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played three missions with two rebels and myself. Both kids are under 15 and I'd say each mission averaged just over an hour. Played two skirmishes and those were under an hour each.

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did tutorial + aftermath + a side mission in under 5 hours. This includes set-up, rules explanations, etc, for 4 players who were all completely new to the game (including the imperial player), so I think that was pretty awesome. 90 minutes definitely sound like a plausible estimate when you get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play with 5 new players and rules instructions got through 3 missions in 4 hrs. One mission was a very quick loss for the Rebels and the other two missions went the full round limit of 6 and 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Approx same thing here.

Ran 4 campaign missions with a totally new group of 4 players (and the imperial game master who had not run a campaign either yet). Took us 60-90 minutes per mission'ish. Plus setup and looking at rule books etc.

Time spent definitely will depend on how much the group talks together. This group took loooooooong time sometimes deciding who should go next and plan out the tactics for each move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically play 2 - 3 missions in a 4-5 hour session. That usually includes taking a break for food and map set up down time etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Murray
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday night 2 of my buddies came over to play. Each of them played 2 hero's. We got through Aftermath and Diala's side quest in 3 hours, including setup and map change.

Imperial player won both missions. The Rebels were literally 1 damage point away from a win on each mission, it was incredibly close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel finding a logical way that works (for you) to sort the map tiles will cut set up time by half!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling near Munich
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that some of you guys have more experience with campaigns... how long does a mission typically take? Todays session was just the side mission "Generous Donations" which took about 4 and a half hour (3 heroes + Chewbacca as an ally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Hasforth
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That sounds a bit on the high side. My group is certainly not quick, but we could play a mission in about 2½-3 hours.

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
www_Mischraum_de wrote:
Now that some of you guys have more experience with campaigns... how long does a mission typically take? Todays session was just the side mission "Generous Donations" which took about 4 and a half hour (3 heroes + Chewbacca as an ally).

I'm guessing you have some folks that ponder for a long time in that group!

Depending on who I am playing against, the missions can range from about an hr up to 2 depending on what the mission is and whether or not it has a round limit.

Most of my games go pretty quick though and hover around the hour mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon we spend about 90 - 120 mins per mission usually. But then we do have a lot of "group think" and planning. We tend to talk it out a bit as we go a long, which is fine but probably takes longer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling near Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have the confirmation that the playing time is WAY above average I need to find some means to make them quicker. Otherwise it's very tiresome for me and I lose my focus on the game during a mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Piorkowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
www_Mischraum_de wrote:
Now that I have the confirmation that the playing time is WAY above average I need to find some means to make them quicker. Otherwise it's very tiresome for me and I lose my focus on the game during a mission.

Sounds more like an issue on your part if you can't stay focused. But joking aside, as my group has played the missions have picked up speed. A lot of it is us trying to make sure we understand the rules. Once people are good with the rules you should look at missions being about 60-75 minutes.

I myslef do spend time looking through the message boards to understand the rules better in those moments of question. I was counting the force push as an action when it is not so the rebels spent time discussing if it was worht the action to shove someone. Now it is 10 second discussion and bam they try or they skip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ikon
msg tools
Missions for me and my group are very long. Some missions last 5-6 hours, it's like a long chess match. They usually end up with one side winning because of one lucky damage/block point or a figure located in the wrong cell or maybe one deplete card played in the wrong case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling near Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikon wrote:
Missions for me and my group are very long. Some missions last 5-6 hours, it's like a long chess match. They usually end up with one side winning because of one lucky damage/block point or a figure located in the wrong cell or maybe one deplete card played in the wrong case.

So I can assume you like it that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.