Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a potential cure for people drawing hands full of unwanted cards:

Once every turn at the end of the Card Draw Phase, each power may, in play order, announce that they are discarding their entire hand and redrawing a new hand. Home Cards and Mandatory Event Cards may not be discarded. A power may only choose this option once per turn.

This action earns exercising power(s) one upheaval marker (use any that is convenient) every time it is used. Each upheaval marker is worth -1 VP. Upheaval markers are cumulative and may not be discarded, given away or removed in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, but I think you may have made it prohibitively expensive. Why not give each player one free upheaval, and then -1 VP for each subsequent one? Or just allow one per game, period?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You could also make it variable. Roll a die each time you discard your hand. Something like this:

On a 5 or 6, you can refill your hand at no VP cost. On a 1-4 it costs you 1 VP.

This is an interesting variant but it will extend the game longer on average. I guess one could argue it is especially recommended for folks who want to see more time spent playing Turns 7, 8, and 9.

I didn't include such a "mulligan" rule because repeated play has shown that hands with a lot of low CP cards can be good times to offer other players card draws, ransom captured leaders, and relieve excommunication. I wanted to encourage players to see that there are some benefits to a hand that has a low average CP value, rather than giving them an incentive to turn it in.

But I think if you want a mulligan rule, this is a pretty good approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

I thought up this rule because in our one game so far the Papacy player repeatedly drew low CP hands and was quite frustrated as a result.

If it happens too often it can have quite an impact on how one plays as options for those turns with low CP are somewhat limited.

I like the die roll idea, too. I think if this rule were implemented, that would be the way to go.

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudmundur Jonsson
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How about allowing any player immediately after the card draw phase to discard all cards in your hand excluding the home cards and then drawing the number of cards you just drew -1. Discard all 5, you get to draw 4.

Mandatory cards cannot be discarded however and are treated as home cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.