Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone comment on how this plays with 2 (since that is what I will be playing it with 99% of the time)

And how long is a game with 2 players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is best with two. Our games take about a hour, but we're still learning. Familiarity with the tiles will speed things up. The rules are simple to learn, but the tactics are deep and require some thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur. 2 players is best.

3 players is surprisingly bad. 4 players is, as has been mentioned, teams, and is basically the same as the 2-player game except you only do half as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much guys - this is great news.

The game looks fantastic - and I'm a little confused as to why Tom didn't seem to like it at all. Our tastes usually line up pretty well.

I wonder if he only played a 3 player or 4 player game? (He notes how planning ahead is impossible?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
Thanks so much guys - this is great news.

The game looks fantastic - and I'm a little confused as to why Tom didn't seem to like it at all. Our tastes usually line up pretty well.

I wonder if he only played a 3 player or 4 player game? (He notes how planning ahead is impossible?)

Tom claims it is a horrible game where you can't plan ahead. He is wrong with respect to the 2p game. His review does not sound like he played with it at that player count (or at least didn't play it much).

In fact the 2p game is very tight and in order to do well you must really plan ahead.

I also partly blame the designer of the game for advertising this as 2p, 3p and 4p game. It just should have been marketed as a 2p only game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until now I've only been playing with 3 and 4, and while I can confirm that it is kind of bad with 3 and I can somehow guess that it's probably best with 2, I feel that with 4 it's not that bad at all. Yes, each player gets to have half the actions compared to a 2 players' game, but smart cooperation between team members allows for greater reach on the board and creates another "puzzle" layer to the game.

I'd say that as long as you're not playing with only two other people, this game is well worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game a few times with 4P and everyone so far has enjoyed it. I firmly believe 2P would be excellent as well. I can also see why 3P would not be ideal. I intend to stick with 2 or 4.
Great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Manvel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree; think it's best with three -- more ability to form temporary alliances in taking down the leader, while being on the watch for being taken down yourself.

But with two works fine, and my games last about 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please give a reason as to why it is bad with three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emanvel wrote:
I disagree; think it's best with three -- more ability to form temporary alliances in taking down the leader, while being on the watch for being taken down yourself.

This is exactly why it is not good with 3p in relation to my own preferences. The king making potential is high with 3p.

The second reason it is not as good with 3p (Tom does allude to this in his review) is that the ability to plan ahead is significantly diminished because the game state will change quite a bit more than in a 2p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has a very heavy paper-rock-scissors mechanic. There *is* a scoring mechanism, but it's not all that interesting. The game is intended to be played such that both players organically end up championing different colors, and you're trying to make your color win.

In three players, what usually happens is that whoever gets the early lead, the other two players end up having to invest heavily in the color that counters that players, and then that color ends up winning and in the end one of those two players ends up winning thanks to the points.

Point optimization in Lagoon is not fun or interesting.

In essence, every three-player game ends in a boring tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Point optimization in Lagoon is not fun or interesting.

I've only played two-player, but I'm very interested in trying the game with three. I'm wondering, given your observation above, if the game isn't supposed to be about point optimization, but instead about the championing of a color (at least first and foremost). The reason I'm curious about the three-player game is that it might add in the prickly problem of knowing when to team up with another to, as you say, push back against an early leader, and when to break away from that alliance so that you can ultimately win. I don't know if the game does that successfully, but I'm curious to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's explicitly in the rules:

Quote:
* The point-based scoring system is slightly misleading. The conditional nature of the points makes controlling Lagoon’s destiny the true heart of the game.

http://www.3haresgames.com/downloads/LagoonPnP_RULEBOOK.pdf

(note that this is the P&P rulebook that was put out for the Kickstarter; the actual rulebook is formatter much nicer, but I can't find it online)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.