Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I Have Marvel Legendary...but I am so far behind in expansions that I am not too keen on continuing on with this. However, being more of a fan of the Marvel Villains, this game seems like itd be awesome. Anyone play this one more over the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put them all in the same box. Although this can be played on its own, I prefer to treat it as another expansion to Legendary and mix it all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Marvel Villains lately. I own all of the expansions but have yet to add villains into the grand mixture. So far, the general consensus of my playgroup is as such:

Villains is a great stand alone game. It's also a nice refresher from the normal game, thematically and systematically. The game is much more brutal and really strains the idea of "semi-cooperative", with bindings being passed around really being a key focus for many of the villains. It really feels like a bunch of villains being shoved into a small area trying to achieve a greater goal, which is awesome for theme!

The only thing I really dislike about Villains is the terminology changes. It's a minor gripe, but having to, on the fly, figure out that "Ally" and "Hero", "Bindings" and "Wounds", "Adversary" and "Henchman" will all mean the same thing. It can get a little confusing.

But that will only come into play when you mix the game with other expansions. Again, I haven't tried this yet, this is all just what I've observed from forums and what not.

All in all, I love Villains. I think if you like Legendary well enough, but want a bit of a darker twist, Villains will be right up your alley. Just beware player backlash for giving the same guy three bindings in the course of a round.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamesama wrote:
The only thing I really dislike about Villains is the terminology changes. It's a minor gripe, but having to, on the fly, figure out that "Ally" and "Hero", "Bindings" and "Wounds", "Adversary" and "Henchman" will all mean the same thing. It can get a little confusing.

Bindings and Wounds are separate things. You play with both stacks when mixing the sets. Adversary is the new term for "Villain", not just the henchman. Henchmen are "Backup Adversaries."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Dunning
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all things Marvel Legendary, and Villains is my favorite. I have yet to mix everything together, but every game of Villains I have played just seems more exciting and down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Kamesama wrote:

Bindings and Wounds are separate things. You play with both stacks when mixing the sets. Adversary is the new term for "Villain", not just the henchman. Henchmen are "Backup Adversaries."

Ah! Thanks for the correction! Sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dawkins
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who only has Villains (and Guardians, mostly for Thanos), I can tell you it does fine as a stand-alone. Besides minor differences it plays exactly like the original, but its more of a "updated" version of the base set in my eyes.

Best new additions are New Recruits, which give you an option for something to buy when you only have 2 gold, or nothing on the board helps you/is affordable. Madame Hydra is generally better than Maria Hill too because you can Dodge her away if unneeded.

The new "heroes" mostly stand up to the old ones with various results, and with the exception of a couple outliers we've had no issues with them.

I'm still waiting for the first Villains expansion to see Villains stand-alone flesh out a bit, but so far so good. I felt the same way about "being behind" on expansions for the original so Villains presented a fine jump-in point where I can only focus on Villains expansions and not worry about spending a lot to "catch up" to the old ones (though over time I may go back and get some of them anyways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I believe I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
To a certain extent, villains has the benefit of already including concepts from Dark City.

Like the masterminds are generic enough to be a challenge against most scenario whereas the original ones are only if you lack the protection of the specific color\group that they need.

And of course the special bystanders.

However, the art in it is bad in my opinion and even though the original had only 1 image they were far better.

Also the heroes in the original seemed to have a bigger variety and while some of them had obvious issues (ahem, spiderman) they were mechanically so different from each other.

Whereas villains... Really nothing that interesting about them overall. Dodge is used way too much and honestly half of them don't even feel like they have a certain strategy to them.

TLDR: If you're only going to buy a core, I would recommend villains. If you're going to buy a core and some expansions, get heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
GrandMasterFox wrote:
To a certain extent, villains has the benefit of already including concepts from Dark City.

Like the masterminds are generic enough to be a challenge against most scenario whereas the original ones are only if you lack the protection of the specific color\group that they need.

And of course the special bystanders.

However, the art in it is bad in my opinion and even though the original had only 1 image they were far better.

Also the heroes in the original seemed to have a bigger variety and while some of them had obvious issues (ahem, spiderman) they were mechanically so different from each other.

Whereas villains... Really nothing that interesting about them overall. Dodge is used way too much and honestly half of them don't even feel like they have a certain strategy to them.

TLDR: If you're only going to buy a core, I would recommend villains. If you're going to buy a core and some expansions, get heroes.

The art is bad? WTF?????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Legendary for Christmas last year and it quickly became my favorite game. I have every expansion, something I will continue doing.

That said, Villains is a great game as a stand-alone, but I prefer to treat it as an expansion and throw everything together. It adds so many options to the game!

If you are on the fence about all the expansions, start with Villains and Fear Itself and just get hero expansions as you want them/can afford them/can find them. However, if you have any interest in fighting Galactus (and who doesn't?) you should pick up the FF expansion asap. Fear Itself has some instructions on how to play with an expansion without the base set it goes with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.