Subject: Number of Bridges in Bridg-It?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how many bridges were actually in the Bridg-It game? I conversed with Cameron Browne about this and he didn’t know either. I’m guessing something like 18-20 of each color.

Not sure what the maximum number that could be placed on board without making a winning move, but it would take more than 20 each to fill the board. So I’m not entirely convinced that the oft touted pairing strategy is really valid.

The rules of the game also give versions for “more advanced” players where the number of bridges is decreased to:
12 – Student
10 – Brain
8 - Genius

The reduced number wouldn’t be enough to cover the board by the pairing strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this...I will check...

EDIT:

20 Red, 20 Yellow

The Advanced instruction say that once your 12/10/8 bridges are used up, you keep playing but you have to pick up and reuse a piece already on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do the rules say about repetition of position?

I was not aware of these advanced variations when I wrote the "proof" that the swap rule does not "fix" Bridgit (see the Files section.) Assuming it is illegal to place a piece which connects two border row posts (which would be a wasted move anyway,) there are only 41 legal places to play. If a player follows the strategy I outline in that file, the opponent could force a position where all but one place is occupied, and neither side has a win. But in such a position, the player to move could remove some piece which is extraneous to the winning path, and play in the vacant spot, thereby winning the game. So, my proof is arguably still valid with only minor changes, as far as the standard game is concerned.

If a limit is placed on the number of pieces used, and pieces are allowed to change position, this changes the nature of the game significantly. The game would no longer be an example of the Shannon Edge Switching Game, which was examined in volume 3 of "Winning Ways for your Mathematical Plays" by Berelekamp, Conway, and Guy. I used their analysis to produce the winning patterns in my pdf file. But if these underlying principles no longer apply, the winning strategies I defined would not be sufficient, although they may help.

In any event, the board is so small, I believe even the "Genius" variant with the swap rule added could be completely scoped out with some computer analysis. But if the rules do not consider the possibility of repetition of position, there's another flaw to complain about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
What do the rules say about repetition of position?

The rules are written on half a piece of paper and are taped to the undercover of the box, so they don't really get into that level of detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.