Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Language Dependence Recommendations Wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Baird
msg tools
Hello all! I have been looking for some new games for my wife and I to play, but the one issue we always have is that she is very dyslexic. As such, she often gets frustrated with games that require a lot of reading. Our favorite games include Pandemic, Carcassonne, Castle Panic, and Settlers of Catan. She also likes playing X-wing miniatures, though we just got this game and haven't put a lot of time into it yet. As you can see, these are all games with very little reading.

We do play Castle Ravenloft a bit here and there as being a co-op game I can read the text to her, but she still gets frustrated and feels like she doesn't always understand what's happening because she can't reference the cards as quickly.

I'm just wondering what some of your suggestions are for great games that don't require a lot of reading. I really, really, really want to get Agricola but it says there's a lot of text in it, and being that it isn't a co-op game I feel that this might not work.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as we love playing games together, but this is always a bit of a barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both the abstract games Ingenious and Qwirkle. Both play well with 2-4. Both games have tiles with colors and symbols, so no text is involved.

Recently, we played Castellan which has cards with symbols only. Castellan is designed for 2 players. You can play up to 4 players with two sets.

Other games that our group likes that would fit your criteria are: Masons, Vikings, Maori, and Blue Moon City. I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similair problem with my GF. She doesn't like reading in a game.
Legends of Andor works great with 2 people and is really language dependent. BUT let me explain why this is still a game for you:
the language dependence comes from the "legend" and "event" cards. These cards have long, long texts on them and you easily misread something important. However... It's a co-op game and one of you reads the cards. The other one doesn't have to. So you can do the reading and you both can enjoy a really good game.

The following games have no/little text in it and work good with 2:
Atlantis
Any blokus game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Keltis
Love Letter
Machi Koro because all cards of one color are almost the same, just different numbers.
Copycat
Rattus
Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Kothe
Germany
Kirchheim unter Teck
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Howard,

after going through my collection I found some games that might interest you.

Ciub
This is a nice title dice-rolling game in which you try to accomplish the best goal-cards by rolling the best numbers or keeping them for the next round. You can change your starting dice during the game to get different combination. The game comes with 64 custom dice and looks beautiful. It has absolutely no in-game text.

Robin
I picked this up at Spiel 2014. It's a kind of set collecting game where you have to collect seven cards of the same kind. You have to trade your cards and move your meeples around the board to determine your card draw and discard for the next round. For the 2-player game you need some rule changing but it's mentioned in the rule book.

Orcs Orcs Orcs
It looks like Castle Panic, but they are very different! No co-op in this one, everybody is hunting for himself. The players try kill orcs running towards their castle. The spells they are using can be bought and added to their spell-book (like a deck building game). All mechanics of the game are displayed through symbols, so no reading is required during the game.

Garden Dice
This is one of my favorites! Planting seeds and harvesting crops can be so much fun. Everything in this game uses dice: From buying the seeds to plantings on coordinates up to watering/harvesting them... The components look great and there is no written word in this game (except the rules). This one is so easy to learn but can be a tricky or tough one, if you want to.

Small World
A great strategy game even for people who doesn't like these kind of games. You start by conquering the world with one race. After some rounds you can go into decline and start with a new race! You will never have the feeling of "I'm stuck and my enemy is getting stronger and stronger" (like in the most war-games). The game comes with several boards for the different number of players (2-5). Every race has special powers which are written down on a big reference sheet. But all the mechanics are also displayed by symbols on every race card. These can be told at the beginning of the game or even during the game. Since every race is shown to every player there are no secret information which could be spoiled through this.

Istanbul
The "Kennerspiel des Jahres 2014" Istanbul is also a great example for "no text". Running over a bazaar in Istanbul to collect goods an buying rubies can be so much fun! The only text in this game is written on the reference sheet but you don't even need it. It has a beautiful modular board an also nice components. There are some minor rule changes for the 2-player game but the mechanics stay the same.

These are only some recommendations and I hope you will find some games for you two.

Here are some other games you might be interested in. I clicked through my collection for other "language INdependent" games. Those aren't worse than the games above, they just came into my mind AFTER writing the post

Dice Brewing
Waggle Dance
Port Royal
Camel Up
Guildhall
Five Tribes
Dungeon Petz
Splendor
Village
7 Wonders

Some 3+ player games:
Dixit
Chronos Conquest

Greetings from Germany,

Base

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Baird
msg tools
Thanks everyone! I'll have to head down to the local gaming shop and check some of these suggestions out.

I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Baird
msg tools
So I went to the local game shop yesterday and picked up Small World. The wife and I loved it and can't wait to play more tonight. Thanks again, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.