Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baron Blade is active in Megalopolis. Fanatic, Bunker and Haka (me) are assembled to fight the dastardly villain before he pulls the Moon into the Earth!

(Me and my buddies are playing for the first time. We picked the “easy” villain – Baron Blade, and some fairly decent heroes. We’re MTG veterans, so we figure we’ll PWN this villain. Boy, were we surprised!)

Baron Blade gets an early Blade Battalion, and then a Powered Remote Turret. They are dealing damage to us, but we are all cautious about the “lose condition” of 15 cards in the pile, and take it easy on these pieces of equipment particularly the blade battalion, because Bunker and Fanatic both find ways to mitigate a point of damage.

Turn after turn goes by, and we get hit by a lot of unfortunate cards – monorails, more turrets and blade battalions. The Baron also has a backlash field, but none of us have any burst damage, and healing is sparse. So it’s hard for us to hurt the Baron without getting hurt in return for even more than he gets us! The worst thing though, is that Bunker hasn’t drawn any damage dealing cards in the first half of his deck. His hand is just spilling over with cards.

Baron Blade hasn’t flipped over and he’s got only a few hit points to go, but his discard pile sits at 12 (if it hits 15, we lose the game). Unfortunately, he draws his flesh repair nanites and we have a long way to go all over again. As Haka, I get the card that puts cards I destroy under it, and I become the “finisher” for killing the Baron’s cards, as every card I put under this doesn’t go into the Baron’s discard pile.

Bunker FINALLY starts drawing damage cards – namely the one where he puts up to 3 cards every turn under that card, and then removes those cards to blow up the villain in one big burst. This will work well, but it will take a few turns to set up.

I’ve got a Ground Stomp, and play it to disable the Baron, but then the environment draws the paparazzi, and the Baron draws another mobile defense platform! No luck for us!

With careful coordination, we take the platform out, but by then another Blade Battalion and Remote Turret appear, as we focus on the platform and then the Baron himself.

We are all pretty battered and beat up when Bunker can use all those cards he’s accumulated to blow the Baron up. We finally get to flip the Baron to his vengeful side. Unfortunately though, he’s going to be doing significant damage to us and that backlash field is still up. We focus on removing the damaging threats first, and knock the Baron around a bit, but unfortunately after a few turns it looks like we’re going to be defeated. We’re left with the following hit point totals:

Fanatic: 2
Bunker: 3
Haka: 3
Baron Blade (vengeful side): 31

Figuring that it’s likely that the Baron will take one of us out this turn, I do a ground stomp and take him down to 28 points. The Baron draws a Hasten Doom, but can’t hurt us! It’s Fanatic’s turn and he has the MIRACLE CARD that he’d drawn the turn before! I believe it’s called Wrathful Retribution. It deals damage equal to the damage Fanatic has taken. Fanatic had taken 28 damage, so that literally is JUST enough to destroy the Baron! Whoa! We thought we were dead ducks and it changed to a win! Pretty darn fun for a first game.

The only downside in this game was Bunker having to go through half his deck to find anything that did any damage. Afterwards, we checked the cards that were left in the deck and sure enough, almost every one of them was a damage card. So it was just a bad shuffle – but it really made it close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session! This is why Fanatic is one of my favorite characters. When she is down, she is usually not out. She thrives on damage and deals her fair share as well. I have finished many a villain with Wrathful Retribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, pretty awesome that the perfectly timed Ground Stomp literally saved Fanatic and allowed for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Aquilone
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game. So much fun even though we lose most of the time. I think for us it is not the right mix of heroes and we tend to play against level 2 or 3 villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Brownsword
msg tools
My only question would be how did Baron Blade have 31 hp on is Vengeful Mad Scientist side as his HP maximum on that side is 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluedarky wrote:
My only question would be how did Baron Blade have 31 hp on is Vengeful Mad Scientist side as his HP maximum on that side is 30.

Yes. One of my colleagues (who played Bunker) pointed that out to me after reading this as well.

Its obvious now that I have misremembered the exact number, but it was close to the top for the Baron (if I could hazard a guess, I would say he was at 28). But one thing I know without a doubt is that Fanatic had only 2 hit points left. So it's possible there were a few points of excess damage done.

I'm afraid I was a little fuzzy on some of the card names as well (where I refer to the one that he puts up to 3 cards under, for instance). This is my first session report, and I didn't play the game thinking that I'd be writing about it. Instead, a day later after some reflection on what a great experience it was, I then decided that I should share it.

That being said, I believe this captured the spirit of the game, and I hope that I conveyed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
That being said, I believe this captured the spirit of the game, and I hope that I conveyed that.

It did. Thanks for the write up! Sounded like fun and makes me want to give Wrath of the Cosmos a go ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.