J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering obtaining the French version of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage; how easy would it be to play for an English-only player to use the French version? Would it be fairly easy using english rules and a translation of the strategy cards? How long would it take to become familiar with the cards?

RSVP ASAP please,
bookgnome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How easy for an English speaker to play French Hannibal:
I've lent the game to non-Francophone friends; with translation charts handy playing the game was reported as "doable." I imagine it wouldn't take more than a couple of games to become familiar with most of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the map and counters are not language dependent, is it only the strategy and battle cards and the rules that are in French? I have translations of those already...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's all you should need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the production quality of the Descartes Editeur version i.e. the board, tokens, cards, better than the actual english Avalon Hill version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the production quality for the french edition is like the Descartes German edition. So you get a hardbound board, nice counters, normal quality cards (which you should put into sleeves if you play the game often). All in all a very pleasing production value.

Think about buying removable stickers, print the english text of the strategy cards on them ynd stick them either on the cards directly or on the sleeves. There you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can one find the English text of the cards and rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomg wrote:
Where can one find the English text of the cards and rules?

There's a bunch of links on the bottom of the Hannibal page on BGG and several files there also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.