Subject: That Munchkin Treasure Hunt Ad... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...says it's "the first Munchikin for kids!"

... But couldn't you just play Munchkin with them?

(FYI I know they mean "designed" for kids)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the age of the kids. Munchkin requires a lot of reading, and there is significantly more strategy in Munchkin (contrary to popular opinion on this site) than there is in Treasure Hunt.

And on top of that, some of the cards themselves are not entirely "kid friendly". I couldn't name one off hand to be sure, but I know there are some that are questionable at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and on top of all of that, Munchkin overall is FAR more complex than Treasure Hunt. Treasure Hunt simplifies every aspect of the game for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kneecaps of allure anyone.
Broadsword.

etc.

Massive text. Many concepts younger ones won't get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Kneecaps of allure anyone.
Broadsword.

etc.

Massive text. Many concepts younger ones won't get.

Yeah, guessing you haven't played much Munchkin if you think it's a game you can play with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay maybe I was a little vague on "kids" - In my opinion I don't see why you couldn't play it with (some) 8year olds and up really - I'll let you know when my kids get to that age! But yes a munchkin aimed at 5-8/10yrs is a good idea - I'm not knocking it, just the way it was presented

I've played enough munchkin to know what the game is like not necessarily enough to memorize every card in the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep saying it but children should not be playing games where they backstab each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mav___ wrote:
I keep saying it but children should not be playing games where they backstab each other.

That is very true - I didn't think of that...

Okay it's quickly becoming clear that I've made a mistake about my observation and I feel that the topic doesn't need to be discussed further.

I consider this thread locked and I will no longer make replies to it.

(BGG keeps saying "oops something went wrong" so I have no idea if I've managed to post or not so sorry if there are multiple replies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mav___ wrote:

This is exactly the kind of games most kids want to play.

In the right environment it can be excellent at character building (how to lose/win gracefully, how it feels to be back stabbed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
mav___ wrote:

This is exactly the kind of games most kids want to play.

In the right environment it can be excellent at character building (how to lose/win gracefully, how it feels to be back stabbed)

I choose the games my kids have available to them, backstabbing is not something I think an 8 year old needs to learn about, so they don't get to know about it.

My 10 year old yes, but "kids" is a very wide net I think we need to all be aware of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.