Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanner Thetford
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that really attracted me to this game was the fact that it reminded me of RTS video games that I so adore. As such, I was eager to implement a variant that allowed for resource production in a simple and coherent way.

I was surprised that this variant also seemed to improve the pacing of some scenarios as well. In general I have experienced that the game tends to "stall out" because income is generally fixed throughout the game. In this variant, each side will slowly gain more resources over the course of the game, increasing the strength of the units that can be brought in. I enjoyed how the match scaled much more when using this variant.

For this variant I use: Alternate Infantry and Plastic Terrain. The cardboard tiles that previously represented strategic objectives are now mines at which the Alt. Infantry can mine for deployment points and potentially rivets. At the start of a scenario place 5-7 "mines" on the board in equivalent areas for each player. It seems to work if one mine is close to the baseline, a second mine closer to the middle/ no man's land, and a single mine right in the center of the board.

Alternate Infantry are miners. They cannot attack and move just like infantry - 1 space, but 2 on duckboards. Alternate infantry are not purchased, rather at the beginning of each deployment phase, 1 miner arrives on the battlefield in the predetermined grid. Miners wear light armor (alternatively you can rule that any unit attacking miners gets to decide which armor they have - making them even squishier)

At the beginning of the deployment phase count the number of miners that occupy spaces on mining grids. For each miner in a mine space, generate an additional deployment point this phase. Additionally, if a mine grid is occupied by friendly miners in all 4 spaces, generate a rivet as well.

When playing with this variant, I would recommend reducing the amount of starting production to a lower figure. Something like 2 deployment points and no rivets seems to work for most 3x3 grid scenarios.

The way this typically works out is that the early game sees very simple production of cheap units and shuffling miners to the mines. As the mines fill up, players begin to battle over the mines in the center of the board as well. Of course strategic objectives are just as important as well. In addition, towards the mid game, deciding whether to target your opponent's economy or military is a tough decision. The miners are easy to take out, but if you focus too much of your attack on them, typically your opponent will be able to hit you harder on their turn because they have two waves of units coming at you. Hitting an opponent's miners tends to be more of a long-term damaging effect.

Let me know what you guys think. I have found this simple variant to be a lot more fun in most scenarios. It is currently one of our preferred variants. The game really picks up steam as the mines fill up, and each person starts producing 6+ deployment points and a rivet or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really good, I've been trying to come up with something like this but, couldn't decide: what the point was if the mines are too close to the base line or too close to the action to put up with Sniping and killing the economy. It sounds like you've managed to solve this.

Have you considered writing up a sample mission with the Scenario Editor? It would be great to get this onto rivetwars.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Thetford
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought about it, but it would be relatively easy to do. If I get a chance I can adjust one of the current scenarios for it in the scenario editor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great if you get chance. Let me know if you've got any problems with the Editor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree; this sounds great! I wonder if it might be tweaked to allow you to focus more/less on economy by producing more or less than 1 automatic miner per turn.

Whether they should cost 1 or 2 resources or possibly a simple rivet I'm not sure, but then you'd have to choose not only where to focus your attack, but also when to switch from economic build-up to military build-up. One player might opt to build military early and try to stake out the victory point spots, while the other might let him "for a while" before unleashing a holy terror of built up economic resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.