Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I picked up IA a few weeks ago and I am excited to play. I do not have what one might call a "regular" group of players, but we have some consistency in the group.

I wanted to solicit opinions on how to progress through the campaigns. I know I will play the Imperial side.

Should I play with whomever wants to play (and have that person keep the same individual character)?

Should I only play with a "regular" game group?

Any other opinions are welcome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested on thoughts on this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are doing it with swapping players in and out and I'm maintaining my role as the Imperial player.

It's worked great so far. It's 3 heroes and me, but if we have a fourth hero, just sub in an ally (Luke, Han, etc...) and they can control that hero. The heroes always work together anyway, so it's not like you miss out on the action.

It fits with the typical schedule for our group because we have about 15 folks that come, but not everyone comes every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to read this perspective. I would have thought no. But I think you can try to swap players in and out. Just make sure your game group buddies know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a similar same situation with our group. We generally have a core group of players (one of them is our Imp) and then others that make it if possible. Our solution was to have each player have their own character and we track xp as if they were there so the next time they show up they aren't behind the other heroes. The only thing they really miss out on is shopping but that is minor. We've found that the Legendary/Heroic rewards also do a great job of filling in the gap when we can't get 4 rebels.

The only situation I haven't had to resolve yet is character specific side missions and of one comes up for someone who isn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing our campaign with 4 heroes and just having the irregulars control the odd heroes, and if we don't happen to have 4 hero players, one or two players are playing 2 heroes. It's not that hard to maintain, and this gives us the flexibility to have no-shows but still continue the campaign.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
On the other side!
badge
On the other side!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I see is that the Rebel players' skill level may not rise in line with that of the (permanent) imperial player. As managing higher-level heroes, due to the vast number of upgrade cards and interactions, becomes more and more difficult for a beginner yet is absolutely necessary for game balance reasons, it could become very frustrating for heroes down the line. I guess. Experiences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Order wrote:
The only problem I see is that the Rebel players' skill level may not rise in line with that of the (permanent) imperial player. As managing higher-level heroes, due to the vast number of upgrade cards and interactions, becomes more and more difficult for a beginner yet is absolutely necessary for game balance reasons, it could become very frustrating for heroes down the line. I guess. Experiences?

We'll most likely have at least a couple of people that have played before, and as the Imperial player it's kind of my "job" to layout options both tactical and thematic for the player's to choose. I won't make a decision for them, but I will explain to them what's possible.

The winner only really matters on the very last mission anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately we have 5 players right now. But one of the players is going to have a baby any day now, so her hero will be played by some other rebel player for a while.

You need to use the same heroes throughout the campaign, preferably play with 4. It would also be good to use all of them always. If you have less players, someone plays two heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
On the other side!
badge
On the other side!
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Order wrote:

We'll most likely have at least a couple of people that have played before, and as the Imperial player it's kind of my "job" to layout options both tactical and thematic for the player's to choose. I won't make a decision for them, but I will explain to them what's possible.

The winner only really matters on the very last mission anyway.

If you take a more GM-like approach, that should indeed work. As for the winner only mattering for the last mission... I find it quite difficult to keep a group motivated if they ALWAYS lose, but that does of course depend on the people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
We're playing our campaign with 4 heroes and just having the irregulars control the odd heroes, and if we don't happen to have 4 hero players, one or two players are playing 2 heroes. It's not that hard to maintain, and this gives us the flexibility to have no-shows but still continue the campaign.

-shnar

That's what I've done for Descent in the past. The trick is just to make 4 characters used each session and to keep the upgrades going. I've had at least one player on the characters side who is always there, so just left the upgrading decisions to him.

This way the characters have the right power, the campaign still flows correctly and the stand in players enjoy the game for what it is.

Just make sure the 4 character (with advancement) and campaign flows from session to session and the fact it's not the same players every game doesn't really matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any opposition to suggesting a new player pick a hero remaining. Then have an equivalent level up to the other heroes.

Example: Suzi is not a regular and replacesJimmy who could not make it tonight. Instead of playing as Jyn < jimmy's normal hero). Suzi can choose any of the remaining heroes. the other three herpes have accumulated four experience and Suzi has he option to choose any of the hero abilities with up to four experience. Jimmy had a 350 item and Suzi has acess to any item worth that much.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petromir Brookendil
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

That's what I've done for Descent in the past. The trick is just to make 4 characters used each session and to keep the upgrades going. I've had at least one player on the characters side who is always there, so just left the upgrading decisions to him.

This way the characters have the right power, the campaign still flows correctly and the stand in players enjoy the game for what it is.

Just make sure the 4 character (with advancement) and campaign flows from session to session and the fact it's not the same players every game doesn't really matter.

Pretty much what we're doing. 1 rebel there every game, if he's joined he and the other rebels share out the rebel heroes between them. He is quite happy to let the extra players have heavy input into xp and credit spending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other 3 herpes ? Is this a status I've missed or is predicted text gone haywire !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this today. Our normal Diala player was not available. So we had the new player choose a character. He chose the Wookie and we then allowed him the same XP everyone else has gained. We however did not add any extra for credits. Things felt perfectly fine in the game and I honestly don't see how it could really mess with the campaign. We did add the Wookies side mission. If we ever draw into a side mission and the character isn't around we will just draw a new mission and then shuffle the characters mission back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.