Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Join us for some family gaming fun! May 22-25, 2015, Dallas Texas.

Register for BGG♥FAM here!

d10-0 Same location as BGG.CON: Hyatt Regency DFW Airport
d10-1 Badges will be $75; Veterans/Active Duty: $65; Kids ages 4-11: $55
d10-2 Our room-rate is $118/night + taxes & fees
d10-3 No refunds after 30 days from your payment or April 1st (whichever comes first)
d10-4 You must show a copy of the confirmation email to get your badge
d10-5 You must wear your wristband at all times during the convention
d10-6 Airport parking will be validated by the hotel for all convention attendees
d10-7 Activity areas for kids of all ages: a toy room for 5ish and under, crafts for 4ish-6ish, games for 7ish and up; a nursing mothers lounge
d10-8 Direct parental supervision required for all children under 12 years old
d10-9 Open gaming areas for families gaming with other families and also a separately-designated area for teens/adults only

I'm sure there will be other questions, so ask away! We're really excited to create this new special event. It will be a lot like BGG.CON, but I hope that it will also have it's own identity and create it's own traditions as well.

Our core philosophy is that this is a BGG.CON where kids of all ages are welcome and have fun. It is not, however, a gaming convention designed specifically for young kids. Think Epcot Center instead of Magic Kingdom, or Tomorrowland instead of Toontown. So even if you don't have kids of your own, but you don't mind them being around, you should still have a great time.

Referencing d10-8 above, at no time will BGG or Team Geek take responsibility for your children - there is no babysitting provided. We feel comfortable allowing kids 12 and up to roam around the convention areas, as long as you're comfortable with it as well. We trust that you as their parents are the best qualified to make that decision. There will be no other non-BGG events or visitors on the ground floor - we're very grateful to the Hyatt setting aside all of the space for us so we don't have to share, even though this event isn't big enough yet to justify it on it's own.

We anticipate setting aside the Industry Wing as an "under 12" area for dad or mom or another trusted adult to bring the kids over for fun activities for the young ones - a toy room, a craft room, a game room stocked with child-friendly games, and a mother's lounge. Team Geek will be at the hall entry to make sure no kids pass in or out unaccompanied but will otherwise not be providing any child supervision.

We have some great ideas for other activities and events going on, some like BGG.CON, some new and different. That's still all being worked out, and we'd love to hear your ideas, though don't be disappointed if it won't work out for one reason or another. Keep in mind though that this is still all about the library and open gaming.

See you in May!

If you're interested in exhibiting at BGG♥FAM, rather than registering through the link above please send an email to:
bggfam@boardgamegeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG♥FAM Registration is now live!
GoodLuck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Direct parental supervision required for all children under 12 years old

See you in four years I guess I totally understand the (presumed) reasons behind it, but man, it kills the idea of this being a 'family con' for me with a 8 year old in tow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, but ... you weren't planning on supervising an 8-year-old? Or did you just expect there would be daycare?

That sounds critical, but it's really not; I'm just trying to understand where the disconnect occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
Attendee #13916

Edit: There is plenty of time to get the badge editor cranked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Quinn
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks BGG. I am bringing my son and his buddies. With luck, BGGFAM will secure another generation of board gamers. Now all I need is for you to build a BGG retirement home, so my son will want to visit me when I am an old fart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
Just curious, but ... you weren't planning on supervising an 8-year-old? Or did you just expect there would be daycare?

Two words: Duck tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Registered!

Now we get to see if Red7 is playable by 7 year olds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:

That sounds critical, but it's really not; I'm just trying to understand where the disconnect occurred.

Daycare of some sort or supervised activities (a la Ikea). Wasn't expecting my 8 year old to run wild

I enjoy spending time & gaming with my daughter, don't get me wrong. But I hoped a family friendly BGG.Con would give us opportunities to game together & separately, appropriately. With the current setup, two parents present are necessary to game independently, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
Carmilla wrote:

Daycare of some sort or supervised activities (a la Ikea). Wasn't expecting my 8 year old to run wild

I enjoy spending time & gaming with my daughter, don't get me wrong. But I hoped a family friendly BGG.Con would give us opportunities to game together & separately, appropriately. With the current setup, two parents present are necessary to game independently, if that makes sense.

Ah, OK. I get that. I suspect that would require much more staffing than they can muster, but who knows? Maybe some folks will be inspired to volunteer to run that sort of thing. I suspect insurance may be an issue as well, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manfredini
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Check out Island Siege!
badge
Geekmail me for a Venture Forth promo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my ticket and one for my 7 year old son. He's going to be so excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
Quote:
Direct parental supervision required for all children under 12 years old

See you in four years I guess I totally understand the (presumed) reasons behind it, but man, it kills the idea of this being a 'family con' for me with a 8 year old in tow.

I would assume that parents of 8 year olds will meet in that room, get to know each other and arrange a schedule of taking turns taking BOTH kids into the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kulon wrote:
Thanks BGG. I am bringing my son and his buddies. With luck, BGGFAM will secure another generation of board gamers. Now all I need is for you to build a BGG retirement home, so my son will want to visit me when I am an old fart.
and that we won't be stuck with no gamers around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through 10 pages of nonsense in the other thread, but never saw a mention to one question that was repeatedly asked:

Will there be an exhibition hall similar to BGG.CON?

That's one of the main draws to the convention, other than having access to a massive gaming library of course. It's really exciting being able to interact directly with game designers and publishers and I'm wondering if that will be downplayed for this event.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG♥FAM Convention Registration is now live!
TyDeL wrote:
I went through 10 pages of nonsense in the other thread, but never saw a mention to one question that was repeatedly asked:

Will there be an exhibition hall similar to BGG.CON?

That's one of the main draws to the convention, other than having access to a massive gaming library of course. It's really exciting being able to interact directly with game designers and publishers and I'm wondering if that will be downplayed for this event.

Thanks!

Yes we anticipate having designer and publisher friends with us. I imagine it will be not quite on the same scale as BGG.CON as many of the exhibitors I talked with in November weren't sure it would fit in their schedules since Origins is the week after. But I have already received several requests for exhibitor info so I'm sure there will be some there.

I'll be contacting our previous exhibitors soon with more information but any others can get on that list by sending an email to:
bggfam@boardgamegeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to bring a large cardboard box that I can fit in, write TRANSMOGRIFIER BOOTH on it, and sell games out of it from the middle of the gaming area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
With the current setup, two parents present are necessary to game independently, if that makes sense.

Ha - I've got three boys - we're planning on shipping one of them to grandma and grandpa's house, and STILL don't have a high chance of gaming independently. And it's STILL going to be awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
Carmilla wrote:

In the kids' activities wing we expect "dad or mom or another trusted adult" to supervise.

In the family-friendly gaming ballroom I expect it to work very much like if I invited y'all to come over to our house for some gaming, and bring the kids if you want (if you have any). Some adults will enjoy playing games with the kids. Other parents will play together while still keeping an eye on their kids playing their own game on an adjacent table. And as gaming parents we understand and it's not a problem when we have to pause the game if little Johnny or Susie needs to be taken to the bathroom.

In the teens/adult gaming area we expect it to be just that, 12 and up only and everyone is mature enough to handle themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo
msg tools
Sam Houston wrote:

I would assume that parents of 8 year olds will meet in that room, get to know each other and arrange a schedule of taking turns taking BOTH kids into the room.

Please, please parents -- don't leave your children with strangers, no matter how friendly they seem.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff/Aldie

I'm considering trying to bring the family to this, but to be honest, $55 for my 4yo is really out of bounds for what I (and the wife) think is reasonable for him. It's barely reasonable for the 8yo.

The 8yo might spend 80% of her waking time in the convention space. The $55 is close to reasonable for her I guess. It isn't an automatic sale but one I'd probably accept.

The 4yo is highly unlikely to spend even half of his time in the convention space, and thus one of his parents will also not be in the convention space the same amount of time. This is the one that gives me great pause. Not only is a ticket for him exceedingly not worth buying, it makes me not want to bring him at all. This is causing a cascade effect when considering the pricing (of everything food/room etc) that is causing great debate at the house.

Do I really want to spend $1000 to go to this convention where the 4yo and one adult will spend half their time in the room watching TV or $1000 at Great Wolf where everyone has fun most of the time?

It's debatable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredh wrote:
Jeff/Aldie

I'm considering trying to bring the family to this, but to be honest, $55 for my 4yo is really out of bounds for what I (and the wife) think is reasonable for him. It's barely reasonable for the 8yo.

The 8yo might spend 80% of her waking time in the convention space. The $55 is close to reasonable for her I guess. It isn't an automatic sale but one I'd probably accept.

The 4yo is highly unlikely to spend even half of his time in the convention space, and thus one of his parents will also not be in the convention space the same amount of time. This is the one that gives me great pause. Not only is a ticket for him exceedingly not worth buying, it makes me not want to bring him at all. This is causing a cascade effect when considering the pricing (of everything food/room etc) that is causing great debate at the house.

Do I really want to spend $1000 to go to this convention where the 4yo and one adult will spend half their time in the room watching TV or $1000 at Great Wolf where everyone has fun most of the time?

It's debatable...

Pricing is a tough thing... This is our first time at it and we'll see how much we get right. I'll tell you that we thought about it in comparison to some other recreational activity pricing models. We have to think about how much the demographics of the attendees drives their involvement in the activity and their consumption of the resources of the activity. 4-year-olds won't be staying up til 3am or camping on the latest and greatest of the library, but we do plan on having lots of toys in the toy-room and supplies in the crafts-room. And we want them to have badges for their own esteem and to handle "lost parents" situations.

Here's some other models we looked at for comparison:
Activity Child Age Child Price Adult Price Ratio
BGG♥FAM 4-11 $13.75/day $18.75/day 73%
Movie 2-11 $6.50 $8.50 76%
Disneyworld 3-9 $93/day $99/day 93%

And for one more comparison, I can't do Great Wolf Lodge because they're an all-package deal for the hotel and water park and don't list pricing per age, but from the waterpark side let's look at:
Hurricane Harbor 3-48" $27/day $32/day 84%

edit: added waterpark comparison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duffy Carter
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

With the per day pricing model, if you could actually purchase only the necessary days at $14-$19 per day, I would totally be in. As it stands, even the 8 and 12 year old who had been hoping to attend thought it was too expensive.

I'm sure there are space rental reasons why that individual day ticketing doesn't work, but for BGG.FAM, that's the crucial problem to solve. Saturday is all we're really interested in and all we're able to attend, so the current pricing where the whole weekend is purchased just doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Per day price comparisons for stuff involving kid vacations is really tough because there are so many deals & 'meals free' offers out there. BGG.Con historically hasn't offered day tickets.

Actually, day tickets might make it easier for me to swing the con with the kids, help justify a trip to go see relatives in the area for the weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

Appreciate the info. Very good post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Vogel
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredh wrote:
Jeff/Aldie

It's debatable...

I'm struggling with the price, too. $290 for the 4 of us without travel, room and food. YIKES! My husband gets a $10 discount for his service to our country (Thank you). However, I don't know that my 13 yr old will game as much a the hubby and I will. Sleep will be required for the 12-13 set, or no one will want to game with them.

One day tickets would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |