Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having fun with Loopin' Louie we played Lords of Waterdeep with the Scoundrels of Skullport's the Undermountain Module. This game is a good game with almost any number of players. There are some intrigue cards that are not balanced with every player count. I'll tell one in this small session report.

I'm grey and Hanska is black. I got the lord that gives 3 points for every compited unmandatory mission, Danilo Thann, and Hanska got the Arcane Warfare lord Khelben Arunsun, The Blackstaff. So we bod had our long term goals what quests to complete. I was very lucky with my initiative intrigue cards. I got the one that blocks me from attack cards and mandatory quests. This seems to be a little imbalanced with only two players. If the other player draws many mandatory quests through out the game, those cards are worthless the whole game. This leads to wasted some actions. In our games there is almost always a lot of intrigue cards played which is why the expansion is really nice improvement to the base game. Sometimes it can be powerfull to get two actions in a row by placing workers from Waterdeep Harbour.

Back to the gameplay. In the early game there were a lot of arcane quests available for Hanska but unfortunately for him I took some of them as well. In that point I didn't know what Hanska's Lord was. There just happend to be some nice combos in the Cliffwatch Inn quests. One that gave a few Wizards for reward and other that required Wizards, both Arcane quests. Early game Hanska was going heavy on intrigue cards hoping he'd get good ones that would benefit him greatly trough out the game. He got some that allowed him to return workers or put two workers in a row. Unfortunately he got some mandatory quests that he couldn't use.

In the midgame I managed to get a lot of Clerics, thus I consentrated on completing Piety quests. I had a Plot Quest that allowed me to transform one of three other resource to on cleric. That helped a lot to complete some more Pietys. I got a building that gave two Clerics and had to put one Cleric on some action space on the board. With this one I got total of five clerics with only two workers. I had a chance to put two workers from Waterdeep Harbor in a row. First one I bought the building that gave two Clerics and with the second worker I activated that building putting the one Cleric on the same building action space. Because I was the first player I got to take that same action in the next round first. With those five clerics and some other resources I completed a 40 point quest that required five Clerics.

Hanska on the other hand had completed some nasty Arcane quests by the midgame. When ever he took a Arcane quest from the Cliffwatch Inn he got a Wizard and when an action provided a Wizard he got to draw a Intrigue card. Later in the game he completed a quest that allowed him to play an intrigue card from the top of the deck after an intrigue card play action. So he drew intrigue cards while getting resources and played two cards with just one action.

In the late game after there were no more Piety quests available I switched to complete any small quests which rewards I could use to help me complete another missions. I complete a few Commerces and Skullduggers. Hanska was desperately trying to find even one more Arcane quest from the deck but those quests were truly hard to find. There were very little Warfare quests available as well. With the help of an intrigue card that allowed him to select a quest type and draw from the quest deck untill that type of a quest was drawn, he finaly got some more Arcane quests. The one he got with the intrigue card was a 40 pointer Arcane quest. That was easy for him to complete because he had piled a lot of resources by that time due to lack of Arcane and Warfare quests.

Overall both of us had a good plot quest combos in the game and played good intrigue cards, I ended up with 225 points and Hanska had 172 points. A good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Valstar
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
mb
Havent played it with two... But nice to know that a 2 player game is also pretty good. Ive played it with 5 with expansion.. It was a bit too long... So next play im gonna try with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Two is our favorite. We both love "ta da'ing" the immune Intrigue card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loverman21 wrote:
Havent played it with two... But nice to know that a 2 player game is also pretty good. Ive played it with 5 with expansion.. It was a bit too long... So next play im gonna try with 2

The game took about 75 min. Not too long.

I have once played with 6 players that included both modules. After fourth round, when everybody recieved the extra worker, the board was very crowded. Almost every action space were in use. Some players had to take an action that they didn't like since it gave them skulls. It surely didn't help that only a few buildings were bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zathraz wrote:

Hanska on the other hand had completed some nasty Arcane quests by the midgame. When ever he took a Arcane quest from the Cliffwatch Inn he got a Wizard and when an action provided a Wizard he got to draw a Intrigue card.

I may be wrong, and you may not have meant it this way, but I don't believe Hanska would have been able to draw an Intrigue card when he gained a Wizard by taking an Arcana quest because the Wizard was gained as the result of a Quest reward and not the action itself. You may have just been stating two separate effects that he had available to him, but the way you put it made it sound like he was doing both at once.

Again, I could be wrong, if anyone wants to correct my interpretation.

In any case, glad you had fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
Zathraz wrote:

Hanska on the other hand had completed some nasty Arcane quests by the midgame. When ever he took a Arcane quest from the Cliffwatch Inn he got a Wizard and when an action provided a Wizard he got to draw a Intrigue card.

I may be wrong, and you may not have meant it this way, but I don't believe Hanska would have been able to draw an Intrigue card when he gained a Wizard by taking an Arcana quest because the Wizard was gained as the result of a Quest reward and not the action itself. You may have just been stating two separate effects that he had available to him, but the way you put it made it sound like he was doing both at once.

Again, I could be wrong, if anyone wants to correct my interpretation.

In any case, glad you had fun!

Maybe if I'd add a comma there that would have been clearer, or wrote them as two separate sentences. But yes, we played it like you described. He didn't use both of these effects at once when drawing a quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.