Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm aware that when using promo cards, the "rules" simply say to just add them in, but since one of the game-ending conditions is emptying the draw deck, does this throw off the game balance? Should other cards be subtracted from the draw deck in order to bring it back to 144 cards? Should we just play with all cards added in like the "rules" imply? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would replace card not at them. But I've not once played with the promos yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
I'm aware that when using promo cards, the "rules" simply say to just add them in, but since one of the game-ending conditions is emptying the draw deck, does this throw off the game balance? Should other cards be subtracted from the draw deck in order to bring it back to 144 cards? Should we just play with all cards added in like the "rules" imply? Thanks.
"meh". The game is sort of on the rails "off balance" anyways, that I wouldn't really sweat it (although do remember to take out Imperial or Republic cards, whichever ones aren't in use). AFAIK, using the promos is worse more so for what they do as opposed to making the deck bigger (I've only played a few games with them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't bother subtracting from the draw deck. The game usually ends by running out of in-town sites, or a forum/catacombs ending.

If you really wanted to keep the original card count (6 colors, 24 of each, 144 total) after adding the expansions (6 cards of each color) you'd have to randomly remove 6 of each color. There are 5 types of cards for wood and rubble, and 10 types of cards for the other 4 material types, so there's no way to do it evenly. I say don't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_3002 wrote:
I wouldn't bother subtracting from the draw deck. The game usually ends by running out of in-town sites, or a forum/catacombs ending.

Unless you are playing 5-player in which there is big chance that game will end by decking. But sadly Polish publisher didn't make any games besides GTR base - and didn't print expansion (but there is german expansion with ilustations in the same style).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kusanagi888 wrote:

Everything about the promo cards throw off the game balance. There's also now too many of certain types of roles, and the cards themselves weren't properly playtested and are crazy overpowered even by GtR standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
bob_3002 wrote:

It largely depends on the number of players. In a 2 player game, the sites almost certainly run out first, but in a 5 player game, running the deck out is much more common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:

There's also now too many of certain types of roles

What did you mean by this? There are still the same number of every color after adding the expansion, only there are 30 instead of 24. Six copies of five different buildings in rubble and wood, three copies of ten different buildings in the other four colors.

I acknowledge that they aren't balanced, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.