Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Qwirkle is yet another abstract game where you are trying to create patterns vs colors. The idea behind Qwirkle is pretty easy: you make lines of either shapes or colors but you can't have the same one twice.

This isn't a complicated game, but it is one you are likely to play in silence as you study the board to see where you can score the most amount of points. The game plays 2-4, but the more people you play with the less control you are going to have of the board and the less tiles that you are likely to see. I would recommend this game more for two players.

Otherwise, this is a non-threatening game that most families can enjoy. While I don't think it is the best game of the year nor the best game since sliced bread, it is an enjoyable experience. This is a game that can be enjoyed by gamers and non-gamers and might appeal to the Scrabble crowd.

Keeper.

Components:

This is an abstract game and the components are kept pretty simple. You get a bunch of tiles (3 of each tile in 6 shapes and 6 colors) and a bag to keep the tiles in. The tiles are very thick. The icons are huge and other than color blind people most won't have an issue with the components. My biggest complaint is the means to track score is not including in the game. A pencil and paper is needed. You will have to provide this.

Rule Book:

The rules are short, sweet and to the point. The game is really easy to learn/teach as there isn't a lot of rules. The book is presented in full color and plent of examples (mostly for scoring).

Flow of the Game:

The scoring is going to be difficult to explain in text format without pictures, but I will do my best.

Each player has 6 tiles in front of them. You will attempt to play as many tiles as you want in a turn, but they must create a single line. Lines are made up either of tiles of the same color or the same shapes (with no duplicates: ex: no two red circles).

You score points based on the tiles you laid. If you play a tile that encompasses two lines (think of the corner of an L shape) then you score points for both lines.

The max a line can be is 6 tiles. If you are the player who finishes this line, you get 6 points for the tiles and a bonus of 6 points (this is called a Qwirkle).

At the end of your turn, you draw back up to six. The first person to be out of tiles when there are not any more tiles to draw gets a bonus of 6 points. At the end of the game, you count up all your points.

The game is pretty easy to play. Understanding the scoring is pretty easy, but it is easier to explain with sight rather than words.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes, I can recommend this game for anyone that might enjoy an abstract game. While the game can be a brain burner, it can also be played casually. It is simple to understand: you are matching colors and shapes. The game is easy to learn and it becomes a battle against your opponent(s).

This isn't a game that will blow you out of the water. It is unlikely a game that will have you jumping out of your chair. Yet, you walk away wondering why you didn't see "that move". I'm not a huge fan of abstracts, but this is one I do like.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.