United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I was talking to the wife about easy mode and she made a suggestion that I hadn't heard yet. She suggested that capping surge cards to a certain amount like 3 would give you the potentially devastating series of unfortunate events but still protect newer players from what many players consider an overly used mechanism. Sometimes feel like the designers use surge as a default difficulty boost. I don't know if this is true but it seems like many quests wouldn't be as challenging without the inundation of surge. Maybe you have a smarter idea for how it could be dealt with (if it should be dealt with at all.)

Anyways, just an idea

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've long thought they should tie surge to the number of players to keep it from getting out of hand. Surge X. Where x is both the number of players in the game and the maximum number of surge cards drawn in a round.

The problem of surge is more related to hand size than difficulty though. As has been pointed out, there is no maximum hand size in the game, so one of the ways for the encounter deck to deal with that is through extra card draw, which is what surge is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how would this work?
A cap of 3 successive surges, or a cap of 3 surged cards in the staging & engagement areas, or a cap of 3 surged creatures only in the play areas?
If the cap is the # of surged cards in play, then you would have to keep track of which are the surged cards. For example, you have 3 surged cards in play. You have to know which are the surged cards so that when you take care of 1 of them, you then know that 1 more surge can come out.

I start a new scenario in Easy Mode. If it proves exceedingly difficult and I can't win, then I resort to the Basic Game mentioned in the rulebook of not drawing Shadow cards. Once I can beat a scenario in Basic mode + Easy Mode, then I add the Shadows back in. And once that gets beat, I go to full game mode.

Anatole69 wrote:
The problem of surge is more related to hand size than difficulty though. As has been pointed out, there is no maximum hand size in the game, so one of the ways for the encounter deck to deal with that is through extra card draw, which is what surge is.

I figured that how it deals with the unlimited hand size is that you have a limited amount of resources. Having a large hand size gives you the more abilities at hand to deal with threats, but you're still limited by only what you can afford to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most scenarios seem to target one or two aspects of the player's deck capabilities. The Ring-Maker cycle was all about punishing card draw. Against the shadows was all about combat-heavy deck building. The earlier sets seem less mechanically tied together, and are more about showing the variety possible in quests. I would expect to see some hate against excess resource generation in the future.

Surge is just one of the tools to introduce uncertainty into the game. If you know what all the cards are and don't get any surge, you can more easily prepare for anything. Surge changes that - you never know when two or more surges will hit and mess up a quest phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play solo, so I don't think I have ever gotten more than 3 surges at once, but if I did I'm sure I would resign my game.

What I do sometimes is give myself a once-per-game encounter card mulligan where I can discard an encounter card just revealed and draw and reveal a new one. That way if I really don't feel like dealing with that 2nd surge, I'll just discard it and draw the next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charek wrote:
Surge is just one of the tools to introduce uncertainty into the game. If you know what all the cards are and don't get any surge, you can more easily prepare for anything. Surge changes that - you never know when two or more surges will hit and mess up a quest phase.

This. Especially in solo with encounter deck scrying cards like Denethor, it's very easy to anticipate and plan to cancel out most of the the nasty treachery cards and "When Revealed" effects and never have to deal with them. The surge mechanic helps mitigate against scrying and add some unpredictability back in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.