Gregory Bartz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Has anyone ever tackled the challenge of creating a bsg game that progresses sequentially and thematically from the base game to each of the expansions in turn? Id be very interested in knowing how to set up this super mega ultra awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a rule set for just this thing. I'll post it when it's done. The short version is:

• Four games, starting with the base game. Each subsequent game uses the end game and unique features of the expansions, in order (so, New Caprica for game 2, Ionic Nebula for game 3, and Earth/The Search for Home in game 4)
• All characters valid except those that rely on expansion features that haven't been introduced yet
• If a human character dies, he/she can never be chosen again.
• If a human is revealed as a Cylon during the game, he/she can never be chosen again
• The Crisis discard pile and used Super Crisis cards are set aside after each game, and not reused.
• After it's introduced, Pegasus sticks around for as long as it lasts.
• Games 2 and 4 use standard Treachery deck (Pegasus surviving or not), and game 4 uses Daybreak Treachery cards.
• Cylon Fleet Board can be introduced in game 3 or 4, or not at all (if there are enough Cylon attack cards to keep things hopping)
• Other cards (Crisis, Quorum, etc.) are introduced as each expansion warrants

Still working on how best to deal with any resource bonuses or penalties over time, whether to have some level of permanent Viper destruction, and some other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
I am working on a rule set for just this thing. I'll post it when it's done. The short version is:

• Four games, starting with the base game. Each subsequent game uses the end game and unique features of the expansions, in order (so, New Caprica for game 2, Ionic Nebula for game 3, and Earth/The Search for Home in game 4)
• All characters valid except those that rely on expansion features that haven't been introduced yet
• If a human character dies, he/she can never be chosen again.
• If a human is revealed as a Cylon during the game, he/she can never be chosen again
• The Crisis discard pile and used Super Crisis cards are set aside after each game, and not reused.
• After it's introduced, Pegasus sticks around for as long as it lasts.
• Game 2 uses standard Treachery deck, game 3 adds the Exodus Treachery cards, and game 4 uses Daybreak Treachery cards.
• Cylon Fleet Board can be introduced in game 3 or 4, or not at all (if there are enough Cylon attack cards to keep things hopping)
• Other cards (Crisis, Quorum, etc.) are introduced as each expansion warrants

Still working on how best to deal with any resource bonuses or penalties over time, whether to have some level of permanent Viper destruction, and some other stuff.

That sounds really, really brutal for the humans and I can't imagine them ever winning a series like this. Also, there are no treacheries in Exodus.

OP, you may want to look at the variant play-by-forum games: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BSG_PBF_Variant#

In particular, I think this one might be close to what you're looking for. BSG Omega - The Long Road Home (it's older than Daybreak and thus doesn't include it, naturally)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khirsahfireflash wrote:
Has anyone ever tackled the challenge of creating a bsg game that progresses sequentially and thematically from the base game to each of the expansions in turn? Id be very interested in knowing how to set up this super mega ultra awesome game.

Yes, I have a group that does it once or twice every year. It is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Pageau
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AladdinSane wrote:
khirsahfireflash wrote:

Yes, I have a group that does it once or twice every year. It is the best.

Any chance you could share the details of that setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, forgot there weren't new Treachery cards in Exodus. Just went through everything, too. Slip of the mind.

Anyway, I'm aware of all those concerns; that's why I'm not finished yet. Losing characters shouldn't be that big a deal. There are at most two Cylons per game. There are, what, nearly 40 characters available now? Even once executions are in play, attrition isn't going to remove that many over the course of the first three games, and players will have to think about who they're choosing and if they're worth risking the loss of early on.

The game's always tough for the humans. Of course it's brutal. The goal here isn't really to "win" the campaign. The goal is to play through a series of games roughly analogous to each season of the show. There's no tiebreaker for a 2-2 result, either. Maybe some kind of points system for wins. The resource dials also allow for starting with extra resources -- I'm still figuring out the best balance there. Maybe any dial over the standard start at the end of a game is carried over to the next, while dials lower than that start out at the standard level in the next game. As I said, still working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are rules for that in the files section.

Done it once and was very good experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what we do, sorry about the length. One thing to keep in mind is that we use the full treachery deck, we never separate the Pegasus & Daybreak cards. This is how we play all the time, YMMV. I did not create this, I got some from other BGG'ers, but I have modified it a bit. Also, we play this on the day Daylight Savings Time ends, so we have an extra hour in the day. This day is known as Colonial Day

If there is interest, I can post what needs to be gutted out of a fully combined set ahead of time for each game. (I create 4 bags with what is needed for each game for quick setup).

GENERAL RULES

Each season is set up as a fresh, new game, only with exceptions as listed below.

There now exists a "dead pile." Anything sent to the dead pile is out of the game for the rest of the campaign.

* Used crisis cards, super crisis cards and executed characters (and any other version) are sent to the dead pile. Additionally, at the end of each game, send all Destination cards, characters who revealed as Cylons and "You Are A Cylon" Loyalty cards that were used in that game to the dead pile.
* For all games, construct the Loyalty deck using Exodus execution rules.
* Some seasons have prohibited characters, and some have mandatory characters. These will be listed under the rules for each season.

Players may retain their characters between games if they were not a Cylon (whether revealed or unrevealed)

Players who were Cylons or Cylon Leaders *must* choose a different character for the next season.

Revealed Cylon characters are sent to the dead pile. Players may not select alternate versions of these characters.

Players who are retaining their characters from the previous game also retain any titles they held. If they are changing their character, then any titles they held instead go to the highest in succession.

Pegasus Investigative Committees are always used.

Daybreak Cylon Overlay, Cylon Fleet Board and Colonial One Overlay are always used.

Mutineer role is available for all games.

SEASON 1 - Destination: Kobol

Mandatory Characters:

William Adama
Lee "Apollo" Adama (base game)
Laura Roslin

Prohibited Characters:

Karl "Helo" Agathon (both versions)
Ellen Tigh
Helena Cain
Tory Foster
Samuel T. Anders
Louanne "Kat" Katraine
All Daybreak characters (except Sherman "Doc" Cottle)
Cylon Leaders: Cavil, D'anna Biers, Simon

* Use only base game crisis cards.
* Do not use Personal Goals or Final Five loyalty cards.
* Use Assault Raptors and Miracle tokens.
* All Viper Mk. II's are on Galactica and 4 Raiders are removed (un-doing the CFB removals)
* Use Treachery Cards from Pegasus & Daybreak expansions, set near board as if Pegasus was there.

SEASON 2 - Destination: New Caprica

Mandatory Characters:

Helena Cain

Prohibited Characters

Samuel T. Anders
Tory Foster
Romo Lampkin
Lee Adama (Daybreak)
Gaius Baltar (Daybreak)
Tom Zarek (Daybreak)

* Helena Cain gains the Admiral title.
* Add the Pegasus board. If the Pegasus is destroyed, it is sent to the dead pile.
* Add the Pegasus crisis cards to the leftover crisis cards from Season 1.
* Add Personal Goals to the loyalty deck.
* Add the Viper Mk. VII's and 4 Raiders.
* Pegasus Admiral and President card have special rules for New Caprica, these rules will add to the existing role cards, not replace them.
* Characters left behind on New Caprica are placed in dead pile at the end of the game.

SEASON 3 - Destination: Ionian Nebula

Mandatory Characters:

One Cylon leader

Prohibited Characters:

Romo Lampkin

* Send to the dead pile all allies corresponding to characters in the dead pile.
* After constructing the Loyalty deck (still including Personal Goals), shuffle the Final Five loyalty cards into the "You Are Not A Cylon" deck.
* Add the Exodus crisis cards to the leftover crisis cards from Season 2.

SEASON 4 - Destination: Earth

Mandatory Characters:

One Cylon Leader
Starbuck

Prohibited Characters:

None

* At the start of the game, return all "You Are A Cylon" cards from the dead pile.
* When constructing the Loyalty deck, include Personal Goals and Final Five cards.
* Add the Daybreak crisis cards to the leftover crisis cards from Season 3.
* Add the Demetrius board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I've done any of this yet, but I would use the Cylon attack cards until Exodus, then use the CFB, and then go back to the cylon attack cards for Daybreak. But then , I really like the CAC,s and miss the "Step 3" from them when using the CFB. Other than that, it's "just cause", no better reason then, well, it's in the next expansion, so use it there, and then not again.

I like the "add Pegasus in 2nd game, and keep it until it dies".

I hadn't thought to allow characters before their expansion comes in, but it works for anyone who doesn't need later cards. ie no Ellen or Cylon Leaders in 1st / Base game, but okay after that....

The dead pile is okay, except there should be some mechanism to return one a character from it after Exodus and Crossroads, one executed human can come back a la Starbuck. Also, for Daybreak it'd be nice if one of the previous six revealed cylons could come back, albeit as a new cylon leader. Except that we don't have powers for a revealed Apollo, Chief, or whomever. Unless we just use the Athena card as inspiration about pro-human cylons. Their draw is the original human's two best skills, or 1 best skill and choice of 2 2nd best skills, and Treachery. Cylon Leader Apollo would draw Pilot/Treachery and Politics/Leader for example. But that opens a huge can of worms regarding the OPG, drawback, and regular power. So "revealed is unavailable" makes the most sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thought about bringing one character back today; I think I'll write that in, maybe as a reward for the humans if they win Game 3. I don't think Cylon Leaders are a prominent enough feature to need a similar return; they're an optional choice, and there's no guarantee anyone will ever use one.

The CFB changes things so much, with the CAG and extra new Vipers, that I don't think there should be any going back once it's put in play, so my thinking is that, again, the winning side of Game 2 can choose (in advance, since there are no set teams) whether to use it in Game 4, and if it's not then the Game 3 winner can decide, but once it's in, it's in.

I'm really about 80 percent done with my rules, just haven't had time to finish up and tweak them. Think I'll add a points system of some kind, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main issue with using the CFB in game 4 is that you miss out on the Daybreak CACs...

Thematically, the Cylons changing strategy after the Ionian Nebula makes sense, so dropping the CFB isn't out of flavour. Dropping CAG and losing the enhanced Vipers is less easily justified, but, given the presence of Assault Raptors, MkVIIs aren't that imbalancing, and you can handwave a reduction in the CAG's real power rather than stripping away the title altogether - there's still a CAG out there, but because the title no longer has any mechanical significance, it's not worth tracking, or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't worked out a points system, but here's my rules:

Note: Choose a bag, box or other means of tracking cards and other components that won't be used again. This is called the graveyard.

GAME 1 -- BSG
• Use all base game cards, etc.
• Kobol objective
• Sympathizer type: Sympathizer

Setup game as normal, with following exceptions:
• All characters available EXCEPT those that depend on a mechanic introduced in a later expansion (Cain, Tom Zarek 2, Gaius Baltar 2, Cylon Leaders, etc.)

For following game:
• All discarded Crisis cards and used Super Crisis cards are placed in the graveyard
• Characters revealed as Cylons are placed in the graveyard
• Keep track of how many civilian ships were destroyed
• Keep track of any damaged spaces on Galactica
• Destroyed Vipers start the next game in the Damaged Viper space

GAME 2 -- BSG+Pegasus
• Add all Pegasus skill cards, quorum cards, crisis cards, super crisis cards and options
• New Caprica objective
• Sympathizer type: Sympathetic Cylon or Cylon Leader

• Add 2 to each starting resource, then subtract 1 starting resource of players' choice for each civilian ship destroyed in Game 1. All resources must begin the game in the blue. Subtract these resources BEFORE loyalty cards are distributed.
• All characters not in graveyard available EXCEPT those that depend on a mechanic introduced in a later expansion (Tom Zarek 2, Gaius Baltar 2, etc.)
• If Galactica ended Game 1 with at least two damaged spaces, shuffle the damage tokens that were applied to the ship, randomly choose one, and damage that space

For following game:
• All discarded Crisis cards and used Super Crisis cards are placed in the graveyard
• Human characters revealed as Cylons or executed are placed in the graveyard
• Keep track of damaged spaces on Galactica and Pegasus

GAME 3 -- BSG+Exodus
• Ionian Nebula objective
• Add all Exodus cards and options
• If Pegasus was not destroyed, use it
• Remove any Ally cards corresponding with characters in the graveyard
• Use the Cylon Fleet Board option. When removing Vipers, choose Vipers that were NOT destroyed in the previous game first. Set aside all Cylon Attack Crisis cards from Crisis and Super Crisis decks; they will be used in Game 4
• Sympathizer type: Sympathetic Cylon or Cylon Leader

• Add 2 to each starting resource, then subtract 1 starting resource of players' choice for each civilian ship destroyed in Game 2. All resources must begin the game in the blue. Subtract these resources BEFORE loyalty cards are distributed.
• All characters not in graveyard available EXCEPT those that depend on a mechanic introduced in a later expansion (Tom Zarek 2, Gaius Baltar 2, etc.)
• If Galactica and/or Pegasus ended Game 3 with at least two damaged spaces, shuffle the damage tokens that were applied to both ships, randomly draw two, and damage those spaces

For following game:
• Human characters revealed as Cylons or executed, and Cylon characters who are boxed (including Leaders), are placed in the graveyard
• Keep track of damaged spaces on Galactica and Pegasus

GAME 4 -- BSG+Daybreak

• Earth objective
• Add all Daybreak cards and options
• If Pegasus has not been destroyed, use it
• Sympathizer type: Mutineer and/or Cylon Leader

Setup game as normal, with the following exceptions:
• Add 2 to each starting resource, then subtract 1 starting resource of players' choice for each civilian ship destroyed in Game 3. All resources must begin the game in the blue. Subtract these resources BEFORE loyalty cards are distributed.
• All characters not in graveyard available
• If Galactica and/or Pegasus ended Game 3 with at least two damaged spaces, shuffle the damage tokens that were applied to both ships, randomly draw two, and damage those spaces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khirsahfireflash wrote:

Yes!

Here are rules for such a campaign: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/99729/battlestar-galactica...

They are intended to be used together with the Combined Rulebook: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68433/battlestar-galactica...

Please share any results or ideas you get from playing the campaign or using the Combined Rulebook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tweaked my rough version above (took out tracking civilian ships for instance), put it in a spreadsheet format and uploaded it here if anyone wants to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT!?!? I was perfectly happy with just the base game of this (perfectly happy being a major understatement... I cannot even believe how much I love, LOVE this game!) and didn't think I needed any expansions until I read this thread, now I must have them all, aaahhhh.... sounds insanely brilliant, I'm so excited to try this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it goes! I haven't had a chance to get a group to do it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.