Pontus Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
Bohuslän
flag msg tools
Instagram: Ludocrous
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to buy a new 2-player game for my wife and I have now narrowed my search down to these two games: Roma and Battle Line.

What is your opinions of these two games and is it able to compare them?

My wife loves Lost cities like all wifes do but she also very much enjoys Settlers of Catan, Tikal, Citadels, Elasund, Colossal Arena, New England and other light eurogames. What she doesnt like is games with to much special rules and actions like Magic: the Gathering or Catan: the card game.

Thank you in advance!

/Pontus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Battle line is more along the lines of Lost Cities - very simple rules, simple cards numbered 1-10, but pretty deep gameplay. This is without the special tactics cards, which give special powers. But even these are limimted since you can only play one more than your opponent has played.

In Roma, the cards do all have special powers. But there is a limited number of them since most of them repeat somewhere between 2-6 times. The first game or two can be frustrating since you don't know the deck yet, but after that the game is great. There is definitely a confrontational aspect of the game as you can attack the other players cards.

Battleline feels very abstract, while Roma feels like it's got a lot more theme. Both games are very nice, but I'd prefer Roma. That being said, I've only played Roma once with my wife (never got her over the hump of learning the cards), but played Battle line several times. By the way, my wife HATES Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
Bohuslän
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah..

Well, thank you so much, both of you.

And now it is even harder to decide, Battle Line sounds perfect for my wife... but I would love to play Roma, the theme sounds very interesting and fun.

Do you know any other games similar to those two?

Like it wasn´t difficult enough to choose between two games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
So very hard to decide...

I like them both. I agree that Battleline is more of an abstract like Lost Cities, and that Roma has more theme. However, don't be scared off by the naysayers who say the abilities of the cards in Roma are too difficult. We played with a player aid for the first few games, and now no longer need it.

There's always the age old solution of "buy them both"..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think the icons on the cards do a "marginal" job in Roma. My son was guessing at the powers quite well just by looking at the icons. But it is true that you have to read the descriptions of the cards in the rules the first time. This makes for a decent learning curve. For a game you will play over and over, I don't think this is a big deal, but it does make it a hard game to introduce (esp since knowledge of the cards is required to play well). To me this really doesn't feel like Magic with a lot of special powers. But it does sound like Battle line is a safer bet.

I'm not sure what you would consider similar games. But for two player games, these are at the top of my list. A game that my wife enjoys is San Juan. But in these you also have special powers for the buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
PontusNalle wrote:
Ah..

Well, thank you so much, both of you.

And now it is even harder to decide, Battle Line sounds perfect for my wife... but I would love to play Roma, the theme sounds very interesting and fun.

Like it wasn´t difficult enough to choose between two games...

Excellent card game with a similar(ish) theme:

Caesar & Cleopatra

Or, a little different but you could try either :

Kupferkessel Co.
Fjords

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
Bohuslän
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for helping me, I have decided...

and I have now ordered them both and it is your fault, DarkCelt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brain always hurts a little bit after repeated plays of Battle Line. But it is a great game. Roma is good and requires less brainpower. You can finish a game quick and play several more. Roma is much more luck dependent. But this makes it good for playing with my children as they always have a chance against Dad. I heartily recommend both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for roma the best player aid is the the official instructions. Print duplex (two copies for each player) the two pages with the cards referenced. Like someone above said soon enough they won't be needed if you play it enough. I like both games quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forsytjr wrote:
I don't think the icons on the cards do a "marginal" job in Roma.

I don't think they do a marginal job either... I think they do a horrible job. But I still like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
PontusNalle wrote:
Thank you all for helping me, I have decided...

and I have now ordered them both and it is your fault, DarkCelt

I won't feel guilty if you enjoy them both. As another poster stated, the best player aid is another copy of the card descriptors from the rules, which you can copy once you get the game, or are readily available from the Queen Games website; that's what I have in my set.

Enjoy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
Bohuslän
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will certainly do that!

Thanks again, Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PontusNalle wrote:

Check in on Illiade
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1116843#1116843

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma or Battle Line / conclusion
Hey Pontus
tell us how did it all went, do you enjoy both games you ordered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is definitely NOT a gamer (though she will indulge occasionally). She loves Lost Cities and quite likes Battle Line. Strange thing is, she also likes Memoir '44... Go fig!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.