Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a funny game for me because I won by taking a building strategy - despite the fact that I never play that strategy. I just fell into it. There are some games, and Puerto Rico is one, where I handicap myself by "insisting" on playing in a certain way. In the case of PR, I somehow believe that the game SHOULD BE about shipping, and I play with that in mind, attempting to maximize production. As often as not, I produce a ton of stuff... and throw most of it overboard.

This time, I landed two quarries early on, and many people kept choosing the builder. So I'd buy any old junk that I could get cheaply, and my buildings started to quickly accumulate. Usually I'll get a hospice, and this time it eluded me. So early in the game, I felt that I was hopelessly behind because Mike was producing 4 goods, mostly corn, to my one indigo.

However, I was gradually able to build up my production, often by choosing the Mayor at times when I could get 2 more colonists than my opponents. Further, my particular mix of goods enabled me to frequently choose the Captain at times that would cause others - especially the big producer, Mike - to have to jettison many goods. By the time Mike was able to buy a wharf, I was able to control the game end by buying a small building. My timing was just right: I had by far the most building points, and beat all players except one on shipping points alone.

My gripe with the game - not a flaw, but just something that goes against my style - is that I find that it is hard to execute a good shipping strategy if any player is building rapidly. By the time you can afford that Harbor and Wharf, the game is about over. The difference in this game was that this worked in my favor, whereas usually it works against me.

I find that it SEEMS to be very frequent that the player who fills his islands with buildings is the winner. To what extent do others find this to be the case?

Anyway, gripes and all, this remains the most fascinating and variable game to come along in years. Even when I swear I'm tired of it, I always enjoy playing one more time.

Like Woody Allen said about sex: the worst sex I ever had... was actually pretty good.
Winner(s): Jonathan D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.