Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] - into the woods - 2015 solo pnp contest entry - contest ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
entry thread for

into the woods
Last update: July 28th 2015: rules/components version 1.0 - contest ready (see below!)

(Designed for the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest)

(bgg data base entry)

into the woods is a forest-experience simulator.

The game is played on a cut up, multilayered, partially translucent drawing of a forest which serves as a three dimensional labyrinth
through which you have to find the way to the end of the woods and back
- before the fog rolls in..

Classic "game" rules will be kept to a minimum - the main focus of the game will be on the "picturesque" representation of the forest
(of course there will be decisions to be made and you can still loose - or rather get lost).

this is what it looks like:

here a short session report on Solitaire Games on Your Table - July 2015

this is what it looked like as a first prototype:

the game´s idea is of course heavily influenced by Todd Sanders´ last year´s entry The Seeker in the Forest of Wyr.

the game consists of 12 tiles (partly made out of transparent paper) 8 fog tiles and the rule book.
One playing piece (and for the advanced game two six sided dice) will have to be provided.
The game has a rather small footprint, is quick to set up and will take maybe 10-20 minutes to play.

files and rules:

transparent tile parts version 1.0
E printing the transparent parts: greyscale on 100-120 g/m2 vellum paper (suitable for your printer)

opaque tile parts version 1.0
E printing the opaque parts: greyscale on 160 g/m2 thick paper

rules version 1.0
E printing the rules: they are laid out for an A5 (half letter) paper size
if your printer supports booklet printing that would be the way to go: needs 6 pages of A4/letter paper

envelope A5 version 1.0
E printing the envelope: greyscale on A5 (half letter) envelope for storage

building instructions version 1.0

i´d like the game to be considered for the following catagories:

Best Medium Game
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork
Best Greyscale Artwork
Best Hotel Game
Best Game with No Board Category
Most Innovative Mechanic Category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - into the woods - 2015 solo pnp contest entry - idea phase
That's a very interesting idea, I hope you have fun developing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful concept Jan! I love the illustrations and the format that you are using. The idea of long narrow cards is awesome for this design.

You know that I am most certainly subscribed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a strong candidate for "Most Innovative Mechanic Category". Very cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was expecting something like Morels/Fungi but this refreshingly different. Pray continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks everybody for the kind words!

***feels the pressure rising...***

as far as i can see right now the best thing about the game will be the ever changing scenery in the picture - the game itself feels more like a spatial puzzle right now - that´s why i think i´ll have to put some effort into the final game art to make the experience worthwhile.. we´ll see, January just begun..!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Coooool!

But might pose some interesting production problems ...

So you've got these hand-drawn scenes on some sort of velum: but what will then end user print them with/on? I'm sure it's possible -- some (fun) experimentation will have to be done with various printers and media...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

Coooool!

But might pose some interesting production problems ...

So you've got these hand-drawn scenes on some sort of velum: but what will then end user print them with/on? I'm sure it's possible -- some (fun) experimentation will have to be done with various printers and media...

good point!
i´ll have to try that when the art is a little more finished..
the thin black lines you can see on the cards are printed with a laser printer on 70g/m² tracing paper. that seemed to work fine.
we´ll see about larger areas of colour. as far as i know that should be possible with laser printers and ink jet printers as well.
i´ll try to find a not too much ink solution for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
card anatomy
here are a few rule concepts, first how the tiles that constitute the forest are made up:

tile anatomy:

A tile shows a part of the forest.
For movement purposes it is divided into five panels (marked by the dotted vertical lines).
In the game your playing piece will move from panel to panel through the forest.
You can move freely from left to right (and back again) – if the hight difference is not too big, that is!
The terrain shown in each panel has a specified terrain height (marked by the dotted horizontal lines).

The two outer panels of each tile are opaque, the three panels in the middle are transparent.
By that the game´s third dimension is established:
From a transparent panel you can move onto the next tile below the one your´re coming from
(provided the hight difference between the two panels allows that).
The opaque panels block the way forward: from here you can only go left or right (if possible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
into the woods - rules overview
and here what the rules will contain:

the rules for into the woods are ordered in steps of increasing “game-ness” so you can choose for yourself how much game you want.

so far there will be three of those steps:

step 1 – the stroll: rules about taking a walk in the forest (and hopefully enjoying the scenery)

how to move through the stack of tiles
(left/right, up/down, forward/backward, turning around,
“taking a detour” = changing the order/position of the tiles)

step 2 – the expedition: rules about having a goal to reach

how to set yourself a goal on the way to make your walk more interesting:

- find the highest mountain (and climb it to pick the blue flower)
- find a great lake (and maybe manage to get to its opposite shore as well)
- find the old castle ruin (the big one stretching three panels)

step 3 – the dare: rules about the fog (which might keep you from returning home...)

during your walk the fog will slowly rise:
in foggy parts of the forest you won´t be able to take detours anymore
and certain objects in the forest (rocks or castle ruins) will look so scary in the fog
that you won´t dare to pass through those panels.
In this way your path back home might get blocked.
But depending on the forest´s topography the fog might also move.

I´m still not quite sure exactly about how everything will be like exactly.
And at the moment the game is rather fiddely - tiles have to be picked up and eventually placed back in the right position and without moving the ones below! might be mainly a problem with the tile size though. maybe the tiles should have handles to make it easier to grab them and move them around.

and it´s very tempting to start adding all those dungeon crawl rules like event spaces and special rules for climbing and character stats and spots for monsters to appear...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very interesting and promising. Suscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really interesting - subscribed.

I encourage you to resist (at least for now) the dungeon crawl temptations. Get the core (and novel) idea working, then jazz it up (if it needs jazzing).

Suggestion on tile placement - when you explore deeper you could always splay the tiles you lifted off the map below the map (keeping the alignment so that the way you lay the tile on the table beside the tile it was on top of tracks where it was).

Heftier tiles will definitely help handling them - maybe make the opaque panels thicker? (like, mount those parts of the card on matte board or similar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pulpapocalipsis wrote:
This looks very interesting and promising. Suscribed!

thanks!
i´ve a picture in my head how it might look in the end (which i quite like..) but let´s see whether i can be transferred into reality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Looks really interesting - subscribed.

I encourage you to resist (at least for now) the dungeon crawl temptations. Get the core (and novel) idea working, then jazz it up (if it needs jazzing).

yes, that´s what i think as well - maybe there might be more than one game in the component idea..

Candi wrote:

Suggestion on tile placement - when you explore deeper you could always splay the tiles you lifted off the map below the map (keeping the alignment so that the way you lay the tile on the table beside the tile it was on top of tracks where it was).

Heftier tiles will definitely help handling them - maybe make the opaque panels thicker? (like, mount those parts of the card on matte board or similar).

at the moment the "discard pile" looks the same as the one you start on (in case its necessary to go back and to make the return easier: you just switch stacks) but thicker tiles is a good idea! i´ll make them bigger first (good for the so far non existing art work.. (envious about yours! )) and then heavier if that was not enough - lots to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't throw "Wowza" around lightly

but

wowza!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
i don't throw "Wowza" around lightly

but

wowza!

thanks for the idea!:
had i not come across your ´Seeker´ i wouldn´t have thought about wanting to do a ´forest game´ in the first place and wouldn´t have connected the old idea of translucent sections on top of each other with board game design.. - i guess that´s why i like this contest so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice theme, this looks very interesting! I'll be keeping an eye on it, especially curious how you'll make the file printable for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
Nice theme, this looks very interesting! I'll be keeping an eye on it, especially curious how you'll make the file printable for everyone.

Yeah that's why I'm following . Does anyone know how to print onto some sort of transparency?

Edit: It's really easy , but expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
gr9yfox wrote:

Yeah that's why I'm following . Does anyone know how to print onto some sort of transparency?

Edit: It's really easy , but expensive

I was just going to print out the final files, then trace the "transparent" images with my own tracing paper, and make the game that way... of course, that is probably the most time-consuming option I could take.

I wonder if it would be easier to find some sort of substance that would turn paper transparent when coating it... like dipping the sheets in oil, waiting for them to dry, and cheating a bit that way... *wanders off to brainstorm/research*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
After spending time researching how to make transparent paper... it looks like using cotton balls to coat paper with a thin layer of vegetable oil is the cheapest way to go. Yes, you have to wait for it to dry... but that is by far faster than tracing it by hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can always just print on a sheet of vellum (works on both laser and inkjet) or you can print directly on transparencies if you have a laser printer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
you can always just print on a sheet of vellum (works on both laser and inkjet) or you can print directly on transparencies if you have a laser printer...
Yup... in the past I messed around with this a tiny bit. I had a sheet or two of cheap vellum, and that seemed to work, as did some weird plastic-y stuff (I dunno what it was).

And just to think out-loud (meaning you can skip the rest of this):

I think the trick might be to use a laser printer, since the ink-jet type of print seems to be water soluble (which means it doesn't stick to plastics as well?). Problem is, if a game is to be in color, color-laser printing can be a LOT more expensive.

Awhile back, I knew someone that had one of those "melted wax" printers. Great copies! ...but I have no idea if that would work on vellum (et al.), it was very expensive (for the hobbyist), and I don't have access to it anymore anyways (for experimenting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
you can always just print on a sheet of vellum (works on both laser and inkjet) or you can print directly on transparencies if you have a laser printer

I second this!

Vellum actually prints very well on inkjet and I assume even better on a laser printer. You do however need to leave ample time for the ink to dry after printing. I printed my own wedding invitations on vellum, so I have first hand experience with it.

The only drawback I see with vellum is that if it creases the crease shows up as a highlighted line that will never go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
after a little bit of internet research printing seems to be possible, just not always..
this is at least what this guy says.

but there won´t be much printing needed anyway: for the current "base game" it´ll be three a4 sheets of vellum paper. so it could be even possible to print at some kind of public photocopy/printing place (do the exist in the USA? - here in Vienna they are the only shops open 24h daily, why ever!), without having to spend too much money.

additionally here is a online paper store where you can order single sheets for 50cent each.
(i´ve linked to the paper that seems similar to the one i used for the prototype (70g/sqm).)
and then there are multiple stores online which sell higher quantities (50 / 100 / 500 sheets) of course.

but it seems like you´ll have to have a little luck with your printer/paper combination...

i like the idea to make your own paper though!
but probably when doing that it would be advisable to draw yourself as well and not risk jamming or spoiling your own printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
here is a preview of something that comes closer to the final art.

at the moment all is still in greyscale, i´d like to try out a colour version as well.
tracing the trees took quite a while..! so we´ll see about colour..!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.