Popular Tags: hype_machine [+] business [+] notoriety [+] [View All]
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

We just got shat upon by our shipping/fulfillment partners here in the UK who pulled out at the 11th hour.

We've secured a replacement partner for the UK and Europe, but so far no luck with regards to a suitable and reliable company in N.America.

Can anyone suggest a good all-in-one Warehousing/Pick+Pack/Fulfillment company? Any pointers will be very gratefully received.

More details here: http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/wotblog/

Cheers,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to Aldo Ghiozzi at Impressions Advertising. He's excellent.

www.impressionsadv.net

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been given his name before, but haven't had a reply from him yet. What exactly is it they do? I've had a brief look at the website and can't really work it out.

Thanks for the suggestion, by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically he keeps product in his warehouse and handles distributor orders as well as running a monthly buyer-focused magazine showing new releases. He makes sure the distributors know about your new products and acts as a "consolidator" for all of his clients, so the distributors can place orders for all his clients' products at once. All of the major and most of the minor distributors order from him.

I worked with him for several years (he still has some of my stock actually) and recommend him highly. Most of the other similar businesses have imploded in a nasty manner, leaving people out lots of money and sometimes even their product, but Aldo is IMHO honest and trustworthy. He pays on time or close to it, gives thorough sales reports, and is always happy to talk to you if you have questions or want to discuss how to improve business.

The one thing he does not do is ship to retailers and/or consumers directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrorBull Games wrote:
We just got shat upon by our shipping/fulfillment partners here in the UK who pulled out at the 11th hour.

I was on the fence because the game is comedic. (Games that want to be funny don't usually give you a game to play at the same time) But if it's ruffling so many feathers, I think I'll place an order for it. Hopefully you can figure out something for the USA soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrorBull Games wrote:
Hey all.

We've secured a replacement partner for the UK and Europe, but so far no luck with regards to a suitable and reliable company in N.America.

Can anyone suggest a good all-in-one Warehousing/Pick+Pack/Fulfillment company? Any pointers will be very gratefully received.

More details here: http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/wotblog/

Cheers,
Andrew

You guys are to funny! Reminds me of a song by EMINEM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
taraba wrote:
I was on the fence because the game is comedic. (Games that want to be funny don't usually give you a game to play at the same time) But if it's ruffling so many feathers, I think I'll place an order for it. Hopefully you can figure out something for the USA soon.

I'm the opposite. Couldn't give a rats about how inappropriate the theme is, but all of the "look how controversial we are!" posts are turning me way off the game.

I was in the "this is dumb attention seeking crap" stage, then the "hahaha okay this is funny and maybe it won't be bad" stage, and then the "oh good Lord make them go away" stage and now...

I'm not sure really. I always appreciate a good asshole, being one myself, but sometimes people take things too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pointers so far.

Frank, we've posted twice. Once to inform people we'd been banned from Essen (and other fairs) and now to ask for help. I think both posts were reasonably matter-of-fact, considering.

Just so you know, this is a real problem for us (see http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/order/unwilling.php for more details).

On the one hand, sure it's amusing to see so many people frightened of a board game, but on the other hand, it's incredibly frustrating to witness the double standards of commercial judgements that affect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to contact the Toy Industry Association in New York. They should be able to give you contact information for member's that do that type of work.

Toy Industry Association, Inc. | 1115 Broadway, Suite 400, New York, NY 10010 | Tel 212.675.1141 | Fax 212.633.1429

A 2nd trade group to contact is ASTRA.

American Specialty Toy Retailing Association
116 W. Illinois St, Ste 5E
Chicago, IL 60610
Toll Free: 800-591-0490
Direct 312/222-0984
fax 312/222-0986
info@astratoy.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mfischer wrote:
Quote:
However, Essen are exhibiting games such as 'Age of Empires' ("Take the role of one of Europe's colonial powers and stake your claim in the New World")....

Love how you point out the double standard here!

Just in case you were wondering why people might think this whole "controversy" is a little ridiculous and forced laugh

I really want to get this game, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, your game got a fair write-up in Stars & Stripes, but that is a US government publication, specifically the US Army. They don't have to make money in a commercial enterprise. Frankly, I can see why Dominique and Rosie pulled the plug on you at Essen, and can't blame the others for following suit.
Don't be disappointed, though, because you can always exhibit at Origins. So many exhibitors (myself included) have written that show off that they would sell a stand to Al-Qaeda, if the check cleared.

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Some people obviously find the whole thing appealing and will rush of and buy a copy to show 'the man'.

I'm guessing that's a swing at me since you already quoted me earlier and now mention people buying a copy and I'm the only one on the thread who mentioned buying a copy. I don't know why you feel the need to try to involve me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey hey people (looking in Frank's direction), let's not start going off down that route. This is a genuine plea for help - I really appreciate the leads people are posting/ sending and don't want this to get muddied with any side issues.

Frank, after we've been selling to the States, we could hardly come on here and go "um, err, can anyone distribute to the states?" That certainly wouldn't look professional. Similarly, we couldn't simply say "the game is late" and give no reason. We've been treated pretty poorly by some of these people. It's an issue.

As far as the tabloid shit rags go, that's a page buried deep in our website and it's us venting spleen. We keep it to a minimum. Still, I'd defend that claim in court if I had to. If you read the top of that page, we state it's not simply a list of people who don't agree with us, but a list of people who either once agreed with us and then did an about-face or people who provided no good reason as to why they oppose us. I think it's a fair deduction to say they're inconsistent at best.

Come on, you love all this as much as anyone, otherwise you wouldn't be fanning the flames.

But now I'm guilty of what I'm asking people not to do, so let's draw a line under it. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I must be the only person who didn't follow the link Andy provided. I just answered the question asked without really considering the product.

That said, now that I've paid some attention to *what* the product is, I can't guarantee Aldo would want to work with it. That would be something to discuss with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"It's 2003, we're drunk, our government is about to start an illegal war in Iraq... The War on Terror, the boardgame is born!"
(history of the game from your site)

There is one definite difference between us! After I have sobered up, I realize that the ideas that I thought were inspirational when I was drunk were merely the ravings of a drunkard. Don't sweat it too much, though! You will find 5000 other loonies to buy your game and maybe more. The world is a big place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etienne Christophe
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think the issue here is that you can't play the "edgy, activist, controversy" card and expect to have the established distributors go along with you.

The games industry is a small world. Reputations are built over time. People know each other. Maybe all the hype (much of it self-hype) surrounding your game is just marketing. Maybe it truly is an activist game. I don't know.

What I do know is that people's livlihoods and reputations are at stake, and by distributing your game, they are tacitly supporting your side of the controversy. Frankly, there's too many good games out there that someone would have to take a chance on you.

By "you", I mean:

1) Unproven/New game developer
2) Controversial subject
3) Activist PR material (see your web site)

Most of us are adults here. You well know the very controversy that is hindering your game's distribution is the source of its future sales. If you called the game "frogs and lillypads" no one would buy it (not to say it isn't a great game, just that no one would buy it unless you changed your name to Knizia).

Please don't play victim any further. Just ask for help without the sob stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
.... (history of the game from your site)

Ahh, I see what you've done there. Caught us out with our own words. Very good. I forgot we wrote that. We were too drunk for the last three years, non stop, to realise what we were doing. Cheers for pointing it out.

And Etienne Christophe, where do you get the notion of 'activist-victim'? The label has a ring to it, but it doesn't describe us or our game in any fashion.

Really, it's a fascinating insight into misinformation: Since July, we've posted 5 topics. Four on the press release forum. One being news about the toy fairs (I think that's big enough news to warrant a post) and now to ask for help. If that's incorrect use of the forums, put it down to being 'new in town', rather than self-pitying wailing.

I'd like to know others' opinions, but I don't believe two posts out of a total five is playing the 'victim card'. Plus, we're not dealing with "mainstream distributors". Like we've said many times, there's nothing wrong with a shop refusing to stock the game, or a distributor refusing to distribute the game. What we object to is *hypocritical or inconsistant behaviour* - and this is in evidence in abundance, like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of any other aspects, your business acumen leaves a lot to be desired. I've already touched on printing 5000 copies of a new, unproven, risky game as a strange decision. However, working for six months leading up to the release of the game having only an "implicit contract" with your distributor is pure folly.

I also notice in the transcript of your interview with the Sun that the 2000 "pre-orders" are still in fact only "serious expressions of interest", because you don't have a payment system set up yet. With 2000 "expressions of interest" at thirty quid a pop, why the heck haven't you at least a PayPal account???

How do you expect people to take you seriously in your business endeavours if you don't?

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Keeley
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the solution here is obvious. Hire Gavin! He sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

And on the Internet that's how arguments are won. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
They've had a payment system set up for about a month now and apparently have sold at least 500 copies of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed they have: http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/order/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
They've had a payment system set up for about a month now and apparently have sold at least 500 copies of the game.

I guess that eventually we will see if H. L. Mencken's observation applies internationally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
You will find 5000 other loonies to buy your game...
I pre-ordered the game - and I don't appreciate being called a "loonie" for doing so. I ordered it because it seems to be a fun game, and I don't like the fact that I seem to have to explain myself for doing so.

It is my personal opinion that any company (or convention) may choose with whom to conduct business. Of course. Saying you don't want anything to do with a certain other company or product is perfectly OK. But this is not (my understanding of the situation...) what has happened here. What happened is that companies that already agreed to perform certain services (be it marketing or distribution) suddenly backed out. That's just bad behavior. I have a hard time believing these companies had no idea what the product was about at the time they made the initial contract.

I don't see any "victim"-cards being played here. For sure, the controversy has (probably) sold more copies than the fairs who threw it out ever would have, and I think with all things concidered, the producers have taken the whole thing with a lot of humour. Concidering the fact that they probably have a lot of personal money invested in this project, and they see their distributor back out at the eve of production. A lot of other people would probably concentrate on dragging these (former) co-operators into court rather than try their best to deliver their product to the customers who believed in them.

I hope you get a distributor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ugg, it's a little costly @ $47usd. but does seem interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosse wrote:
A lot of other people would probably concentrate on dragging these (former) co-operators into court rather than try their best to deliver their product to the customers who believed in them.

No contract, no court. As the saying goes, a verbal deal is worth the paper it's written on...

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.