Subject: Official Clarifications (Response by FFG/Nikki Valens) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FFG [+] ruling [+] [View All]
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Let's try to keep them all together, shall we?
From now on I will try to collect all available intel concerning ambiguous rules discussions, which may come up in specific situations:

Can Charlie distribute Provisions Unique assets using his special ability?
- No!

Quote:
Charlie Kane’s passive ability can be difficult to understand exactly what is happening so I will try my best to explain exactly how his ability interacts with the effects you’ve mentioned.

Firstly, let’s look at his passive ability at its core. When Charlie Kane performs the Acquire Assets action, he is able to have other investigators gain the Assets he acquires as a part of that action. This means he could allow another investigator to gain an Asset he is able to purchase, but he could not allow another investigator to trigger the “Bank Loan” effect. Because the "Bank Loan" is not an Asset, but merely an effect that triggers when an investigator performs the Acquire Assets action, he would need to resolve that effect himself.

This conclusion with the “Bank Loan” effect leads us to our first answer: Charlie Kane is not able to allow another investigator to gain a Provisions Unique Asset. Although the effect triggers from him performing the Acquire Assets action, he is gaining the Provisions from the Mystery card’s effect, not from the Acquire Assets action.

Similarly, Charlie would not be able to spend two successes to move another investigator to Miskatonic Outpost. That effect is neither gaining an Asset nor does it originate from the Acquire Assets action.

Can investigators buy more than one Provisions Unique asset per turn?
- No!

Quote:
Your second question doesn’t relate to Charlie Kane specifically but to triggered effects in general. In all cases, a triggered effect is resolved once for each time it is triggered, no more, no less. For example, in the following effect: “When you perform a Rest action, recover 1 additional Heath.” you would expect the effect to trigger only once when you perform a Rest action. The triggered effect of the Supplying the North Mystery works in the same way.

When an investigator performs an Acquire Assets action, the Mystery’s effect will be triggered exactly once. That effect will allow that investigator to spend exactly two successes to gain exactly one Provisions Unique Asset. Even if the investigator has additional successes he wishes to spend, the effect does not allow him to. As such, an investigator can gain only one Provisions Unique Asset for each time he performs the Acquire Assets action.

When playing with Shub-Niggurath, do Dark Youngs and Goat Spawns appear randomly, or may Investigators choose?
- They may choose!

Quote:
Any effect that gives two options separated by “or” is the active investigator’s choice. So while resolving reckoning effects, the Lead Investigator will decide which Monster will be spawned by the Cultist. That being said, the Lead Investigator may feel it thematic to spawn one at random; that would be his decision.

When a Mythos Card has every Reckoning-Effect on Monsters trigger twice, do Shub-Niggurath's Cultists turn into 2 Monsters before dying, and does the Zombie turn into 2 Zombie-Hordes (Epic Monster)?
- No, it works totally different!

Quote:
The effect will resolve all reckoning effects, then it will resolve all reckoning effects again. This means each of Shub-Niggurath’s Cultists will transform into either a Dark Young or a Goat Spawn. Then in the second reckoning sweep, the newly spawned Dark Young will be triggered. Similarly, a Zombie will become a Zombie Horde, then that horde will potentially advance Doom.

Do Tick Tock Men (Epic Monster) also forbid spending Focus-Tokens to reroll dice while encountering it?
- No!

Quote:
As you have guessed, the Tick Tock Men Epic Monster does not forbid investigators to spend Focus to reroll dice while encountering it.
Using Focus, this Epic Monster and many other challenges in the game become easier for an investigator who is prepared.

How do the effects "advance/solve the active Mystery" interact with the Final Mystery?
- They don't.

Quote:
The Final Mystery is not the active Mystery. As such, “advance the active Mystery” and “solve the active Mystery” effects will not affect the Final Mystery.

Can you use the actions on two separate but identical Unique assets in a single turn (ie. use both Dog Sleds in one turn)?
- Yes!

Quote:
An investigator can use each component action no more than once per round. That is to say, he can use the “Action:” effect of each card once per round. If an investigator has two copies of the same component action, he may perform each of those actions once per round.

In your example, the investigator may use the action of both of his Dog Sled Unique Assets and/or both of his Old Journal Unique Assets in the same round.

Likewise, if your investigator and another investigator have the Detained Condition and are in the same space, you could perform the action of your own Detained Condition, and if successful, you could also perform the action of the other investigator’s Detained Condition in the same round.

How do Storm of Spirits and extra dice interact with Magical/Physical resistance?
- They do!

Quote:
The Storm of Spirits Spell allows an investigator to test Lore in place of Strength during Combat Encounters. This is not a bonus, and as such, it is unaffected by Magical Resistance or Physical Resistance.

Bonuses are effects on cards or other components that grant extra dice when testing a skill. Bonuses are always written with the following format: “Gain +X [Skill]” where X is the number of dice and [Skill] is the affected skill. For example, the .38 Revolver Asset says, “Gain +2 [Strength] …”

Bonuses are negated by Physical Resistance and Magical Resistance as described in the Mountains of Madness Rulesheet.

Any other effects that allow rerolls (such as the Lucky Rabbit’s Foot), dice manipulation (such as the Lucky Cigarette Case), or “additional dice” (such as Jim and Agnes’s passive abilities) still apply.

If the investigator uses the Storm of Spirits Spell to test Lore in place of Strength, his bonuses to Strength no longer apply, but his bonuses to Lore will. These bonuses may be negated by resistance following the same rules. If the component granting the bonus is a Spell or has the MAGICAL trait, it is negated by Magical Resistance. If it is not a Spell and does not have the MAGICAL trait, it is negated by Physical Resistance.

Ultimately, these Monsters are only resistant, not completely immune."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
//Reserved for further clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
//Reserved for further clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
That's all I could find so far. If you have further official statements from Nikki or FFG-Staff (doesn't matter whether Base Game, Forgotten Lore or Mountains of Madness), please post them here, so I can add them to the FAQ.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'll mourn over the marble steps, Junkies of the world lay across the monuments, I climb and blister on the mount, Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for compiling these responses and your time, Alex!
It's appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the effects "advance/solve the active Mystery" interact with the Final Mystery?
-They don't.

Quote:
The Final Mystery is not the active Mystery. As such, “advance the active Mystery” and “solve the active Mystery” effects will not affect the Final Mystery.

Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17882045#17882045
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Missprint on Other World card 34:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17882419#17882419

Ithaqua Mystery card missprint (not sure if confirmed):
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17809554#17809554

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Added the misprint; thanks for contributing. The other one hasn't been officially confirmed yet, as far as I know.
Btw. I think this FAQ should primarily deal with uncovered rules-ambiguities. Let FFG handle the Errata-Stuff (eventually they will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Who is Nikki Valens? Did she work on EH or is she just the general "FAQ" girl?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

She is one of the designers credited on the front of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Cool. I was under the impression questions were all answered by the one person at FFG for some reason.
Anyway I like the depth she goes into with her answers. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Cool. I was under the impression questions were all answered by the one person at FFG for some reason.
Anyway I like the depth she goes into with her answers. Good stuff.

I only have a couple of data points, but for EH and LotR:LCG one of the lead designer's answers questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some official clarification for this : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1160469/how-do-you-read-enco... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

She is one of the designers credited on the front of the box.

And more to the point, she is the designer of the MoM expansion, so she's really the final word on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked two questions and posted my reply on the FFG forums, here is the quote for you; the questions were if you can use the actions on two separate but identical Unique assets in a single turn (ie. use both Dog Sleds in one turn), and how Storm of Spirits and extra dice interact with Magical/Physical resistance.

"An investigator can use each component action no more than once per round. That is to say, he can use the “Action:” effect of each card once per round. If an investigator has two copies of the same component action, he may perform each of those actions once per round.

In your example, the investigator may use the action of both of his Dog Sled Unique Assets and/or both of his Old Journal Unique Assets in the same round.

Likewise, if your investigator and another investigator have the Detained Condition and are in the same space, you could perform the action of your own Detained Condition, and if successful, you could also perform the action of the other investigator’s Detained Condition in the same round.

The Storm of Spirits Spell allows an investigator to test Lore in place of Strength during Combat Encounters. This is not a bonus, and as such, it is unaffected by Magical Resistance or Physical Resistance.

Bonuses are effects on cards or other components that grant extra dice when testing a skill. Bonuses are always written with the following format: “Gain +X [Skill]” where X is the number of dice and [Skill] is the affected skill. For example, the .38 Revolver Asset says, “Gain +2 [Strength] …”

Bonuses are negated by Physical Resistance and Magical Resistance as described in the Mountains of Madness Rulesheet.

Any other effects that allow rerolls (such as the Lucky Rabbit’s Foot), dice manipulation (such as the Lucky Cigarette Case), or “additional dice” (such as Jim and Agnes’s passive abilities) still apply.

If the investigator uses the Storm of Spirits Spell to test Lore in place of Strength, his bonuses to Strength no longer apply, but his bonuses to Lore will. These bonuses may be negated by resistance following the same rules. If the component granting the bonus is a Spell or has the MAGICAL trait, it is negated by Magical Resistance. If it is not a Spell and does not have the MAGICAL trait, it is negated by Physical Resistance.

Ultimately, these Monsters are only resistant, not completely immune."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of further simple clarifications that I asked: Is Focus a possession, and what are the limitations of discarding Funding and Debt "at any time"?

"Focus is not a possession. As such, it is not tradable as possessions are. Similarly to Improvement tokens and Conditions, Focus is lost when an investigator is defeated.

An investigator can discard a Funding Condition to discard a Debt Condition at any time so long as the effect of neither Condition is currently being resolved. For instance, a Mythos card instructs investigators to resolve reckoning effects; an investigator may choose to discard both Conditions before resolving the reckoning effect of either Condition, but he cannot begin resolving his Debt Condition, decide he doesn’t like what he sees, and then discard both Conditions before finishing the effect."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great thread, and it's a shame to see it isn't used more.

If my investigator has Esteban Herrero, can I trade with another investigator who has just moved to my square, before he uses a ticket to move away?
-No, but...

Quote:
Effects with the timing restriction of "during the Action Phase" are also restricted to when you are taking your actions. This includes effects like Estaban as well as moving along Local paths (the path that connects Antarctica and Miskatonic Outpost.

These effects can be used during other actions though. On your action, you could move to another investigators space, use Estaban's ability, then continue your Travel action by spending travel tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
As relayed in this thread: Lost in Time and Space while delayed

If you become Lost in Time and Space while delayed, do you stay delayed?
- Yes.

Nikki Valens wrote:
During the Action Phase, an investigator who is delayed will right his
Investigator token and no longer be delayed. This is true even if the
investigator cannot perform actions, such as while he has a Detained or
Lost in Time and Space Condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when the monster has 0 toughness?
- It's defeated.

Nikki Valens wrote:
If any Monster or Epic Monster is reduced to zero toughness, it is defeated. A Monster is defeated if it has lost Health equal to or less than its toughness. If a Monster has zero toughness, and has lost zero or more Health, it is defeated.

Background: We had doubts about the Hydra and advancing the mystery. I came to think that you still need to have the combat encounter, but 0 successes is enough to deal the required 0 damage. Fortunately, that's not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmb
As relayed in this thread: Do we have any insight into how it is envisaged that we use our growing collection of expansions

Do the expansions' added expedition cards break the Secrets of the Past Mythos card?
- No.

Nikki Valens wrote:
The primary hinderance of the Secrets of the Past Mythos card is that it stops investigators from resolving Expedition Encounters. The card’s reckoning effect, moves the active expedition, making solving the rumor that much harder. However, as an easy Mythos card, it was never intended to be a major threat to the investigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry, was absent for some time. I'll add these to the beginning of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
From another thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20077876#20077876

Gorlab wrote:
Official response from FFG ...
Quote:
Skids’s passive ability reads as follows: “Whenever you roll a 1 during a test, you may reroll that die.”

This means that he may reroll each 1 he rolls during a test, even if it was the result of a reroll. The result of a reroll is treated as if that is what that die had originally rolled. In effect, Skids will never roll a 1 during a test (with one exception, see below).

Please note that effects that require Skids to roll a die not as part of a test are not affected, such as the roll on a Dark Pact Condition.

If an effect causes all die rolls to be treated as 1's, such as the Tied to a Dark Purpose Mythos card, Skids will continue to roll 1's. He can reroll these dice if he wishes, but he will continue to roll only 1's. For this reason, rerolling these dice will have no effect.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

- Yes.

Nikki Valens wrote:
Reread the answer you were given— it says no, he undelays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
tumorous wrote:

- Yes.

Nikki Valens wrote:
No, the answer is "Yes." You do not remove delayed status when you become Lost in Time and Space. The LiTaS status does not affect any part of the process of being delayed. So you do not get undelayed by being LiTaS. But also LiTaS does not prevent you from righting your Investigator when you normally would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Xelto wrote:
tumorous wrote:

- Yes.

Nikki Valens wrote:
No, the answer is "Yes." You do not remove delayed status when you become Lost in Time and Space. The LiTaS status does not affect any part of the process of being delayed. So you do not get undelayed by being LiTaS. But also LiTaS does not prevent you from righting your Investigator when you normally would.

I had to read that half a dozen times to figure out what you were saying. Can I suggest that the question ought to be changed, since essentially nobody cares what their status is when they enter LiTaS, but do care what it is when they exit. That is to say:

If you are delayed when becoming Lost in Time and Space, does the LiTaS stop you from losing delayed status on your turn?
No. You don't get any actions because of the Lost in Time and Space Condition, but you do stand your token up, as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |