Kenny Dishman
msg tools
I may be overthinking this but someone please break this down for me. Here's the situation

I had Mystique:you and my opponent had Mystique: unknown and a magneto.

Her card say Gain so I would add an opponents attack to my 1 attack, right? So if her stats were copied it would include the bonuses, this includes bonuses from any source also, correct?

What exactly is attack and assigning abilities? I was thinking that attack abilities were anything that specifically says when attacking. So would powers like wolverines (double damage when dealing damage) work, since it doesnt say specifically "when attacking"?

Assigning abilities, is this another way of saying when attacking you choose targets when you use targeted abilities? If so wouldnt that also be included when you copied attacking abilities?
The rules just saying assign is to block, I know thats not right.

Could someone please explain this version of Mystique to me, I can't wrap my head around it to the point of frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes keeping it simple is best. This card is not extremely competitive, so there's no reason to not play it in a way you and your opponent agree is more fun. If you can't agree, roll a die.

Her 1A is replaced by the total attack value of the character you choose. This includes any modifiers applied before you declared attack and Mystique will not change her copied attack even if the target's attack value is later modified.

The "assigning and attacking" abilities mentioned need some interpretation. Most likely they refer to abilities that activate upon declaring an attack, being assigned a blocker, or being "engaged" in general. It does not include passive skills, even if they take place in the combat phase like Nova - The Human Rocket. It should however include effects that target a character at the end of the attack step like Nightcrawler - Abandoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
Thanks! I know the card isnt that great but I like to make sure I know the rules of whatever I play, but the wording on some cards is lacking. I wondered if "gains" was like "copy".
So basically when she attacks she gets the attack and all attack related abilities? but is it only abilities that trigger off attacking, or abilities that only work when attacking no matter which step of combat your in, aka Wolverine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
I think I have finally got it except for one question. Since She doesnt copy but Gains, if she gained the attack of the Wolverine that attacks alone, the card specifically says "if wolverine attacks" would it still trigger. I know that copy would but gains I am not so sure about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

If she gains the attack value and all assigning and attacking abilities of Wolverine, she attacks alone and gains abilites of Wolverine (+4A,+4D: spin down 1 level, cannot be blocked)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
Thats what I was thinking but didnt know if gained was the same as copy.

I know that if you copy, you get to copy the whole card...type, name, etc. But do gaining abilities also let you copy the name, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, check it out in the UXM rulebook. Page 20, under copying.

"When a die copies another die, text that references the die's name applies to the copying die as well."

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
Thats what I was asking about. I know that if it is copied it copies the name but that version of Mystique doesn't copy, it "gains". So is Gain the same as copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKinger wrote:
So is Gain the same as copy?

Who knows. Like other's have said, keep it simple. When she attacks you get the attack value and ability of an opposing fielded character. Just like the card says.

You copy Punisher, Spiderman, Storm, anyone you want. Just treat that ability as your own for that attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Fletcher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a difference between gains and copies.

If Mystique gains say Hulk 8a8d attack, she becomes 9a1d since it was a gain such as it is with Alias You. She however only gains when assigning bonuses such as beast assigning to block, Punisher mcrook assigning to attack or wolverine when attacking alone.

The other mystique would copy the die face and abilities. So when engaged with hulk, she would become hulk, but would still keep her same energy type, affiliation. Since she is already engaged would not get the bonuses for assigning to attack or block as that had already happened at least from what I have read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
Thats the dilemma. Does gain add to, which is different than copy, or are they the same?

When you copy, you get everything on the card. Mystique alias you, would only get the attack and attack abilities. no name, team, etc... and if this is the case then some abilities shouldn't work if she used them.

I guess it really comes down to an official answer to what "gains" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from page 21 of the rulebook - the section entitled "Capturing, Controlling, and Copying"

"Copying means that your die takes on the stats and/or abilities of another die. If the text says, “copy the stats,” then the die copies the numerals of the other die, including any benefits that die may have by virtue of a burst symbol. Your copying die also gets to retain its own burst symbol for extra game effects. If the text says, “copy the abilities,” the die uses the opposing die’s card as if it were its own. When a die copies another die, text that references the die’s name applies to the copying die as well."

Most of the answers to your questions are in the rulebook if you would just look. Not sure why you continue to agonize over this non-issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Dishman
msg tools
I know it says copies, but what about gains? and I was just replying to the post. I did look in the rulebook but it doesn't define gain. I know that if you gain life that it is added to your already total, it doesnt replace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.