3 Posts

Scotland Yard» Forums » General

Subject: New Rules - What the Fudge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game recently, haven't played it in 20 years, so I figured a refresher on the rules would be a good idea. First confusion - there were two sets of rules in the box, one had the "beginners rules" and the other the normal rules. Second confusion - English was the last language in each book, I can get over that, just taped closed all the other languages. Probably would have been better if the book flipped though. Third confusion - new rules for ticket amounts, it wasn't clear what Mr X was meant to use for tickets so we just assumed he used what was left in the box, which was quite a lot. He also had a lot more black tickets than I remember. Fourth confusion - bobbies, they play like normal players but everyone controls them and they don't have any ticket restrictions. Far easier to win with them than another player! Do Oystercards work on taxis? Fifth confusion - the rules themselves are very badly written and confusing. Sixth confusion - the box insert doesn't have enough slots for all the parts, one is nearly empty and another is crammed full of random bits. Do they intend for people to mix the different tickets up? Would have been nice to be able to take out the tickets section to place next to the board rather than have to cope with the entire box on the table. Poor design in general.

The beginner instructions actually describe a completely different game. The only similarity is that you are trying to catch Mr X who is sometimes invisible. I only discovered this as I was about to teach my kids, figuring that it would be a better way to introduce them. There are no tickets except for Mr X's black ticket, and their pawn is visible for most of the turns. As it turns out, the game is an interesting variation, being simpler, but "beginner" is a complete misnomer since so many of the rules are different. They are also a bit confusing. I'm not sure how the black ticket is meant to work - it seems to be described as both a double move on invisible turns and an extra turn of invisibility, but in such vague terms that I'm not sure exactly how. We played it as a turn of invisibility whenever Mr X liked, made it simple like it should be. Regardless, I think that Mr X will always be able to win if they don't make any big mistakes.

Assuming that the board is identical to the version I used to play, I think we are going to use the classic rules for everything, and the "beginnner" rules for quick games. I doubt the latter will be used much though, my kids like using tickets too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the 1985 rules: they work well. I am not convinced later modifications of those rules do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Use the 1985 rules: they work well. I am not convinced later modifications of those rules do.

Nailed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.