Subject: I Need Help Getting the Artist Information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I’ve spent a decent amount of time trying to find out who made what cards for the Marvel Legendary game line. There should be a thread with a title like "Artist Credits" or something else that means "Who made these cards?" but I can't find it. Hopefully the problem is my library's web connection instead of the forum here. If someone posts a link to it I'd be grateful.

I need help to continue.

I have the art credits for slightly over half of the Basic Set and a tiny amount of the Villains cards. I’ve focused on the two sets I own (Basic & Villains), but would happily add the information on the other sets, too. When the information is complete for any set, I’ll add that as a thread to the appropriate forum and possibly here as well.

I have hit giant roadblocks. I emailed Upper Deck with a request for this information, and heard nothing after the automatic “Thank you for contacting us” email. I have also emailed a website Tom Nguyen made to show his work on the Villains set (the only information I have on who made what in that set are which cards he made), but didn’t even get an automatic response.

I think the best way to get the info is from the workers on the sets. The instruction books from the two sets I have (Villains and Basic Set) show the following people are ideally placed to know what we’re looking for:

Basic Set

Art Direction: Devin Low & Nick Leslie
Graphic Design: Krista Timberlake & Brian Bateman

Villains Set

Art Direction: Bubby Johanson
Graphic Design: Krista Timberlake

Frankly I don’t know what Graphic Design means, but it suggests something to do with artwork. And the Art Director is obviously someone who is working with the artists, like telling them what they’re looking for in a given illustration (“In this picture we want Apocalypse to look like an insane all-powerful god. Wolverine would take one look at him and decide that he’s better off being the Horseman of Death again.”)

So I did a Google search for “Upper Deck Krista Timberlake”, and another for “Upper Deck Brian Bateman.” Later I included email in the search queue for one or both names. All searches directed me to numerous websites where I proceeded to strike out. I don’t have Facebook, and most of the sites were about business people making connections with people. I had to offer Credit Card information to get into them, so I couldn’t have gone further even if I was willing to pay, because I have no Credit Card. I’m penniless and live in a Board & Lodge, which is a step up from homeless shelter. I don’t get to eat two meals a day at times. I even got a Linked In account because it claimed to be free. But after getting an account and trying to contact Brian Bateman, it needed a Credit Card to upgrade my account to allow me to send him a private message.

I can’t do any more. I’d like someone who is on Facebook or Linked In or Sci-Fi and Fantasy Artists of California (whatever the real one is named) to contact these people and gather this information for us, or to ask them to contact me and give this information so I can organize this information for us.

It would be profoundly stupid of me to get a credit card just so I can contact these people one or two times. I’m pretty smart, but I have gigantic short-term memory issues, so while I can make a budget I can’t stick to one. I’ll do things like buy a half gallon of ice cream every day for two weeks, never realizing I bought some the day before. When I used checks (mid to late 90s) I would bounce them like crazy because I’d do things like that. In November of 1994 I thought I spent $100 on a new obsession called Magic the Gathering because I was desperate to get a couple cards (Serra Angel and Swords to Plowshares, for those of you who wonder). I had actually spent $890! To this day I routinely get surprised I can’t use my Debit Card because I already drained my checking account to zero. For me, getting a credit card again would be astonishingly stupid.

If for some reason no one is willing to use Facebook, Linked In or the like to contact those people, we might be able to eventually get an artist to answer some of the questions. For example, the few pieces of art I looked at on Deviant Art by Tony Kordos appear to show a guy who responds directly to fans praising his work and even looking to become artists themselves. But there’s a distinct possibility that the artists might only know who they directly worked with for their cards and probably the names of a few artists they know. In this day and age the artists might well never meet each other. An Upper Deck employee would be in a better position to know all the details, and the ones I mentioned earlier had jobs that involved planning and making the art.

This means someone else has to give me a hand. Please, someone get hold of these workers. If you lack the time or interest to gather the information, feel free to ask these people to email me and I’ll happily get back to getting this data. I personally would focus on getting the Villains set data, as I have seen about ten card images online and one artist given credit (Tom Nguyen).

That's all I can do for now. Please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaon Lam
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krista Timberlake's website: http://kristatimberlake.com/index.htm
Brian Bateman's Linkedin's profile (There are two of them, not sure which one is the real one): https://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-bateman/1/8b9/42 & https://www.linkedin.com/pub/brian-bateman/18/405/448

Hope this help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmb
Erik I believe this is what you are looking for:
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1226319/games-art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Those are the ones. Thanks loads!

I emailed Timberlake barely two minutes ago. Hopefully she can give us the info we're looking for or point us towards someone who can. I made it clear that there isn't something like Wikipedia with this info, and I'll be happy to put it here so others don't have to do the same work I'm doing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Krista has yet to get back to me, but I'm not concerned. She must have far more pressing tasks than fulfilling our desire for this info, especially since that email address probably isn't her work email.

If a week or so goes by and I hear nothing, I'll email her again and probably send one to whichever Brian Bateman works for Upper Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Oops. I didn't look closely enough.

I can't do Linked In private emails without getting their "premium" services. Since both Batemans are those accounts, it doesn't matter which is associated with Upper Deck.

Timberlake has yet to respond to my email. Nor have Upper Deck or the Villains artist I contacted.

I might drop off the face of the Web. I have some savage pains that are similar to a hernia. If they get worse I might have to go to the hospital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I might drop off the face of the Web. I have some savage pains that are similar to a hernia. If they get worse I might have to go to the hospital.

Sorry to hear that, Erik. I hope you feel better soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I wasn't hospitalized, but I'll be showing up far less often now. I will have an operation for my hernia-like condition after my mom recovers from her operation in early February. She's 70, and my mom and dad rely on me to do things like move things up or down the steps. We can't have 67% of us on the disabled list.

I still have no word from any of the groups I contacted. I'm torn between contacting them multiple times and risking irritating them with not contacting them and letting them forget I'm hunting for this info.

PS: I say "hernia-like condition" because one of the things I hear is that I share too much, especially negative information. And its pain level, ease of aggravating and so on are very consistent with hernias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I've emailed Brenner about this request pretty recently (about a week ago), and did the same with Mz. Timberlake earlier.

When a month passed and I emailed Timberlake a second time, she responded and wrote that she'd pass the request on to the proper channels.

I have not heard from the art people or Brenner. I'll ask for an update from Brenner in about a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been addressed and I simply overlooked it, but I find myself wondering: why? What would this information be used for? Is it simply for "Gee Whiz" purposes or is it part of a larger project or.....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Because my game has jabbed me in the gut and shouted, "Tell me who drew Mastermind Loki right now or I'll start his cards on fire!"

I like much of the art, so then I want to know who made it. I have a good memory for trivia and when I find, for example, a movie with an especially good musical score, I try to make a mental note of who composed it. Over time I noticed that, in my world at least, Danny Elfman does great work.

The same trend is especially true for me with writing, be it books, comics, movies or so on. I only recently checked out the Buffy show, but having found out that Whedon wrote it and had huge input on the Avengers script if he didn't write it, I checked it out. And I found out I adore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, just wondering. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.