Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
I'll play
badge
Vigilo Confido
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for clarification for the Prep Work karma upgrade. The text:

"At the start of the game, you can buy a card.
(Pay its cost and put it into your hand immediately.)"

The dilemma:

Is this purchased from the Black Market (after setup) from the 6 cards that are exposed, or can you search the Black Market deck (before setup) for any card that your character can afford and start with it in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This response is not official, but I interpret the reward allowing you to buy from the black market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lewis
United States
Comfort
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is for purchase from the face up Black Market cards and not from a search of the deck, especially considering this is only a 10 Karma upgrade.

The closest other upgrade I can find to this is "True Pro" which allows you to replace one of your 1 Nuyen cards with a 2 Nuyen card before starting. This would be from a search of the deck. That card costs 30 Nuyen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
I'll play
badge
Vigilo Confido
mbmbmbmbmb
billjlewis wrote:
I believe this is for purchase from the face up Black Market cards and not from a search of the deck, especially considering this is only a 10 Karma upgrade.

This is how I have been playing it, but if there are no cards that you can afford to purchase revealed with the initial setup of the Black Market, then you are SOL and the upgrade becomes worthless.

billjlewis wrote:
The closest other upgrade I can find to this is "True Pro" which allows you to replace one of your 1 Nuyen cards with a 2 Nuyen card before starting. This would be from a search of the deck. That card costs 30 Nuyen.

I looked at that also but with the True Pro upgrade, you get the card for free, withoug paying the cost for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nellatrebor wrote:

This is how I have been playing it, but if there are no cards that you can afford to purchase revealed with the initial seutup of the Black Market, then you are SOL and the upgrade becomes worthless.

True, which is why if your playing an orc or a troll, I wouldn't recommended taking this upgrade.

Compare it to the 5 karma upgrade which gives you +1 starting hand, both upgrades essentially give you +1 card and subsequently at least +1 damage symbol.

5 karma guarantees 1 card and 1 symbol, 10 is riskier because you could get nothing, but at 4 starting Nuyen you can start with an assist card (2 of them are 4 or less) or could start with a sniper rifle for quick clearing.

Sure, it really sucks when you don't get a card you can afford, or even want, but compare it to starting with a powerful 4 nuyen card.

The games I start with negotiate or a sniper rifle easily outweigh the games I wasn't able to buy anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
My only real question about the game is the definition of "start of game" which several powers reference. For instance, in the case of Prep Work, when exactly is the start of game? Presumably, it's after the black market has been set up, so you can buy from it, but is it before the first crossfire card is drawn, and before the first scene of badguys come out?

We've assumed that yes, "game start" is after you've set up your characters and the black market, but before any scenes or crossfire cards are drawn, so for prep work, you're unfortunately having to buy blind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
We've assumed that yes, "game start" is after you've set up your characters and the black market, but before any scenes or crossfire cards are drawn, so for prep work, you're unfortunately having to buy blind...

You got it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next question is... If two runners have Prep Work, do they have to buy in turn order? Or can they decide who should buy first, hoping to draw a replacement that would be better for the other runner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can use the upgrade's ability in either order. There's nothing in the rules about using abilities in turn order. The mission rules do tend to grant you extra buys in turn order but they say so specifically and it only applies when they say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Prep Work is primarily for Dwarves and Elves, or for humans with bonus money from upgrades or multi-roles. You really want to have at least 4 cash so it's pretty much guaranteed you can buy something you want, and so that it can be expected to grant at least +3 damage. If you're buying only a 2-damage card I think the draw from "in training" is often better.

Prep Work is especially good for dwarves, because without it a dwarf's first turn is often completely useless.

It's also best used by the runner who is last in turn order, because it lets them snag a card they need and clear a slot to reveal new options for the runners playing before them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionJA wrote:
Prep Work is primarily for Dwarves and Elves, or for humans with bonus money from upgrades or multi-roles.

My 85-Karma Orc uses Prep Work. She gets the 2-role money bonus plus 2 other money upgrades, so that she starts the game with 5 Nuyen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.