Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have taught Kanban: Driver's Edition twice in the last week. Once, during the game, players who were very experienced gamers kept running into things that surprised them even though I had mentioned them during the teaching session. The other time didn't suffer from this, but only because I spent over an hour teaching.

A game this complicated is going to seem like a jumbled bunch of detailed rules to keep track of unless I can integrate them into the theme or find another hook to engage the memory. Fortunately, most parts of the game work very well with the theme and I have a good story to keep them together.

But designs? Why would you have to discard the design you are working on in order to get a car from the test track for you to work with on your own in your lab? What exactly is "upgrading" a design and why does it cost a car part?

Again: I have no rules questions nor complaints about the mechanics from the perspective of playing the game. It is merely thematic questions which would help me be a more effective teacher of what is clearly a complicated game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving up a Design to get a car works thematically like You have made a Car Design (The one you made when you worked in the Design Department) and then you used that design to test in a car in the test track and after you store it in your garage to make further improvements to it with other designs...

Why do you need parts to upgrade a design? Simple... think of it has making an upgrade of that part... eg: the 1st design of the car had standard Brakes... you made a new design with upgraded brakes... so you need to get those new brakes from the logistics department and then use them in your design, making the car better and more valuable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
See designs as plans for a project or blueprints.
You need to present administration a project of the testing you want to do in your cars.
You need to present a blueprint to improve a part in the car for a future production in the line and then test it. Thats what we call tested design.

You use the blueprint to improve a part in a car ( upgrade ) to improve that car. Then you run a series oftests to make sure your improvemnt is ok to be produced and comercialized.

So designs are not more than plans of a project you are developing at the factory. An important part of your work.

Eheh, quicker than me Paulo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Designs are just ideas on paper. Cars and upgraded parts are physical realizations of those ideas. The design engineers don't build the parts themselves, but it is their design that tells other people how to build it for them. I think of "spending" designs as submitting the design, or turning the files over to the contract manufacturer that is going to build the parts for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, a car manufacturing facility isn't only going to produce a small handful of cars and then test every single one of them. They are likely pumping out tons direct to sales people.

What the game represents is cars that are specifically being designed for further testing/upgrading. So when you turn in a design to collect a car, you are literally submitting a design and getting a car that matches those design specs. So a standard design gets you a standard car.

When you upgrade a design, you are making upgrades to all cars produced, but testing those upgrades on the cars in your garage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.