Caylus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newb question about turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D A
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Okay, so the turn order in the game never changes on the turn order space next to the favor track unless workers are put on the stables right?

So theoretically, this would mean that if no one placed a worker on the stables whoever is first would always go first, second player always second, etc.

Now what I'm really confused about is if player one places their worker on the stables in the first circle and passes first, what is to prevent him/her from doing that all the way to the end of the game? In other words, every turn player one will ALWAYS go first and prevent others from going first by placing workers on the stables, giving that player a significant advantage over the other players because he/she will always place workers on the best spots and have a greater amount of resources. This has always been the case in the games I've played. Am I playing it wrong or are there advantages to being second, third, or fourth that I'm not seeing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
The opportunity and financial cost of placing a worker in the stables each turn would be a significant disadvantage to that player. If that's the first place they place a worker, they're losing out on the best two (or more, depending on the number of players) other spots (resources, etc.) to place workers. That will add up quickly, and they'll end up in last place every game. It's not a reasonable strategy at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's suppose that someone places their first worker in the stable every single turn. What effect would that have?

Well, firstly it would mean that player *never* really went first with a productive move. Their first move would be in the stables, and then the other players would play somewhere effective - somewhere that produced something such as resources or money.

Secondly, it would mean that the first player was playing with one worker less than everyone else - because one of their workers was always in the stables.

In short, it would be a totally disasterous strategy, and anyone who tried it would doubtless give it up after a couple of turns, as the ramifications sank in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not understanding your question. If player 1 uses his FIRST worker to place on the stables then he is NOT getting the best resource buildings because everyone else gets to place a worker on the best resources before he gets to go again. (Its largely the same as being the last person) If he doesn't place on the stables first then someone else has an opportunity to go to the stables and be the first player for the next round. People at the end of the turn order at some point have to make a decision if turn order is more valuable than an open building. If the first player is always placing in the stables first he will do poorly. If he always gets a couple good buildings and THEN places in the stables to be first again, the players at the end of the turn order are making mistakes. They are placing on resources when it would have been more valuable to place on the stable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Alright, i think I have phase 2 confused or something. Does the first player place all the workers he has money for and then pass or does he only get to place one worker? I guess I'm not really understanding how placing a worker on the stables would prevent the first player from placing the remainder of his workers on some of the better buildings on the board.

I can see the disadvantage that the player is at because he is short one worker, but he still only pays 1D for worker placement and could place other workers on the trading post, a castle space, or a production building and still be doing pretty good since his position in the turn order allows him to get on some of the better spots. Not to mention that since he passes first he also gets a denier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhh was that your problem? The players each take turns placing ONE worker at a time. (so there is also no guarentee that player 1 is the first to pass)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
brahman71 wrote:
Ahhhhh that is your problem. The players each take turns placing ONE worker at a time.

are you serious? Wow...that totally changes everything. Where does it say that in the rules? I totally missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Caylus would be messed up if you could just place as many workers as you want during your turn. Race for the stables indeed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
garysax wrote:
Wow, Caylus would be messed up if you could just place as many workers as you want during your turn. Race for the stables indeed...

yeah, that was pretty much the strategy of one of my friends. He would just monopolize the first player spot on the stables, but thats definitely going to change now that I know how it really works. I can't wait to play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucid_ghost wrote:
brahman71 wrote:
Ahhhhh that is your problem. The players each take turns placing ONE worker at a time.

are you serious? Wow...that totally changes everything. Where does it say that in the rules? I totally missed that.

"Following the turn order, the players carry out an action." Probably not as clear as it could be. Though once you've played it correctly, it seems obvious.

So did you make the 2nd player pay 2 deniers for every worker placed, and the third player 3, and so on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D A
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
rodspade wrote:
lucid_ghost wrote:
brahman71 wrote:

"Following the turn order, the players carry out an action." Probably not as clear as it could be. Though once you've played it correctly, it seems obvious.

So did you make the 2nd player pay 2 deniers for every worker placed, and the third player 3, and so on?

yeah, thats pretty much how it worked. Although in our first game, we thought passing was only done if you didn't want to place a worker hence it seemed pointless to us to ever pass since the only benefit was getting 1 denier if you were the first to do it. When I looked at the rules a second time I realized how wrong that was. So as you can tell, I'm not very good at interpreting the rules of Caylus =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example column, you have a complete turn of placing workers (example - continued...) until everybody passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan Guthrie
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It is a wargame!
mbmbmbmbmb
the exact thing happened to me. Then i played a second time the right way. MUCH BETTER GAME THAT WAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.