United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, but the old PC just ain't up to it.

Which has better graphics, the 360, or a pumped PC? Any other considerations? I'll get whichever hardware suits it best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for the PC: There are a zillion user created mods out there that make the game better. On the 360 all you have is for-pay mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, assume I hate user mods and don't care. Core game only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you looked at the mods, you'd have trouble hating them. The UI improvements are HUGE. Ever want to see more than 8 items at a time in your inventory? You need a mod. What about a map that marks all kinds of locations when you visit them, as opposed to forget a few? Mod. Want to be able to see more than one feet in front of you while underwater? mod. It's not about new content: it's all about making the game usable.

And, even if you'd rather have the bad inventory system, don't want to use the map, and want to ignore the main quest missions where you have to look for items while underwater, an expensive computer will make the game look better anyway.

Just make sure you look at Oblivion benchmarks when picking a video card. A card that is great for Doom might be a dog for Oblivion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that a souped-up PC is generally more useful than a video game console. You can use the extra power of the PC to do other tasks as well, aside from playing games (image editing, video editing, database crunching, etc). Unless of course you use your computer for nothing other than playing games, in which case, I'd imagine the XBOX might be a better value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the PC version. I also hate mods in general. I also found quite a few to be very useful anyways and am glad to have used them.

Further, the PC version has mods available to help make the game play smoother if you don't have a cutting edge PC - nice if you're considering getting a PC anyways.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ben_ethus wrote:
It seems to me that a souped-up PC is generally more useful than a video game console. You can use the extra power of the PC to do other tasks as well, aside from playing games (image editing, video editing, database crunching, etc). Unless of course you use your computer for nothing other than playing games, in which case, I'd imagine the XBOX might be a better value.

The right solution is, of course, to buy a Mac for computing things, and a console for playing games. The console provides access to such desirable gaming peripherals as the 'ComfeeSofa' and 'BigTeeVee', and once you've eliminated the games requirement, there's no possible reason not to buy a Mac for your computing needs.

Aldie, can I have your 'Apple bitch' badge now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really does not matter too much then. The Xbox 360 version has the same graphics (or close enough) as the pc version(assuming an HDTV although regular TV looks pretty good too). The only real difference between the versions aside from the mods is that you get the rare frame rate drop on the Xbox 360 that you would not get on the PC if you have a true state of the art pc. So, you just need to decide if you want a console system or a pc for games and other uses. I bought the PC version just to test the state of the art computer I bought (which was roughly the same time the game was released coincidently). I have now thought about getting the xbox 360 version since my TV is bigger than my monitor and it would be more confortable to play.

Geosphere wrote:
OK, assume I hate user mods and don't care. Core game only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikeg99 wrote:
since my TV is bigger than my monitor

I have a 64" HD TV. This is one of my deciding factors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would honestly get the Xbox 360 version then. It will be just as pretty. The minor frame rate issues have very little impact in the game and there are other games you can play on the console. (I cannot stop playing Lego Wars II right now).

Like I said, I may end up with my second copy. I am so close to getting the Xbox 360 version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear the 360 version is prone to crashes -- any word on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
i have oblivion, and have played oblivion, and have won oblivion. It is hands down the best RPG ever to be on the pc (my opinion of course, but its right ).

That being said, the graphics on the PC are superior to the xbox, or any console port. That is almost ALWAYS the case. Typical console games will never have the clarity of a pc game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Mikeg99 wrote:
since my TV is bigger than my monitor

I have a 64" HD TV. This is one of my deciding factors.

What if your monitor is your TV?

http://static.flickr.com/46/131487457_920efe23e9_b.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Hehe... tried that with my PowerBook before I bought the Xbox 360 to make sure the VGA input would actually drive at useful HD resolutions (I have the world's most bizarre mixture-of-standards TV). 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz looks sweet. The 360 is hooked up to it, and now I want to go buy a lovely huge LCD to replace my ageing 17" CRT in the computer room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Hehe... tried that with my PowerBook before I bought the Xbox 360 to make sure the VGA input would actually drive at useful HD resolutions (I have the world's most bizarre mixture-of-standards TV). 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz looks sweet. The 360 is hooked up to it, and now I want to go buy a lovely huge LCD to replace my ageing 17" CRT in the computer room

Here's a picture of me playing Rise of Legends in 1080p, 1080x1920:

http://static.flickr.com/50/154253656_e50c9ac948_b.jpg

The photo does this no justice! and it's smooth as silk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Here's a picture of me playing Rise of Legends in 1080p, 1080x1920:

Wow. Just... wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
That being said, the graphics on the PC are superior to the xbox, or any console port. That is almost ALWAYS the case. Typical console games will never have the clarity of a pc game.

Only with top end hardware. My PC cannot even load Oblivion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slyde wrote:

Only with top end hardware. My PC cannot even load Oblivion.

that i will agree with.

When oblivion came out, my pc could only play it on the lowest settings. The game rocked so hard, i decided it was time for a uber-new pc.

I'm not proud that i went out and spent 1500 bucks so i could play oblivion in all its glory, but damn was it fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.