Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As above - I love the "solo"-play focus of the 'Leader' games, but sometimes it'd be nice to run a campaign with some friends.

I don't really think the system would work in an "adversarial" fashion (at least, not with many interesting decisions to be made for the enemy - without changing the entire game, anyway), but could work great as a 'co-op' title?

Some rough ideas of how multiple players could be tied together into a cohesive experience:
- First off, everyone needs their own copy of the game (obviously)
- All playing the same 'campaign'
- Reflecting squadron composition, each player can choose only one aircraft type for at least 75% of their squadron (or should be 100%? Outside of EA-6Bs or something?)
- Available missions drawn, each each player 'bids' SO points for the missions they want (rather than simply choosing them outright), with all drawn missions being allocated to SOMEONE...they all have to be performed, after all (up to number of players, anyway)
- Each player then plays and scores their mission independently, comparing results to see who wins

...that would seem like the easiest way to do it, but, then, outside of the initial bidding on drawn targets, there isn't much player interaction. Maybe that's okay?

Questions would be:
- How should politics be tracked? Easiest way would be to leave things as-is, and track the politics per-player, but that seems...to lack thematic charm. STACKING the political cost of all missions run has better match to theme, but...uhhh...wow, that'd burn through political will quickly. Hrmmm...
- It'd really be great if there could be some facility to have players 'share' aircraft between each other somehow - using pilots from another player's squadron on your target or something. Not sure how that could work...maybe pay them SO points, directly, for use of their aircraft? (And how would that work from a gameplay perspective, if so...could you pay SO points to pull in aircraft from another player, deliberately use those in a way to stress them out, and so give them back to him with more stress than your pilots took? Would that...be a useful game mechanic?)

Anyway - just kicking around some ideas. Seems like something that could be done easily enough, a few different ways, but the trick of course would be to make it INTERESTING and to ADD something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norwegian Singbird
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
To me the easiest way seems to just play as normal but assign specific pilots to specific players. The "first player" then decides on the mission and the pilots to take. Some people might be left out of some missions. Whether that's a big deal or not depends.

Another could be to play sort of like what you're saying. Lump all the missions together into a custom campaign, make a common pool of pilots and equipment (you'd probably want to limit the equipment more to make it interesting). Then everyone chooses the pilots and equipment starting with the first player. So you might take an all-star team for your mission and leave the others with the greens.

I cannot really think of any engaging and working ideas off the top of my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you just split up the normal number of aircraft that you'd use in a mission between the two players and play as two squadrons approaching the the same target? So you'd both be working with the same pool of pilots as normal.

Might need some tweaks and/or special rules to govern events and such, but it might just work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking along the same lines.

Would be nice to form a Thud squadron/wing. It would be interesting to have some sort of dynamic campaign with each pilot having to complete a tour of 100 missions.surprise

Count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Singbird wrote:
To me the easiest way seems to just play as normal but assign specific pilots to specific players. The "first player" then decides on the mission and the pilots to take. Some people might be left out of some missions. Whether that's a big deal or not depends.

That seems to be how a lot of folks have done co-op campaigns in the game, when the interest comes up - reading around on Google. Basically, just split up the mission work among multiple players, somehow.

And that definitely works - no doubt. Even works well, actually, as it can streamline the mission setup process some, depending on how you do it.

I'm definitely looking for a bit more of a way to formalize the interaction in a set of 'rules', though, so you could (if you wanted) score the interactions and still have a 'winner'.

Singbird wrote:
Another could be to play sort of like what you're saying. Lump all the missions together into a custom campaign, make a common pool of pilots and equipment (you'd probably want to limit the equipment more to make it interesting). Then everyone chooses the pilots and equipment starting with the first player. So you might take an all-star team for your mission and leave the others with the greens.

I think that having the players 'bid' SO points on the missions might account for this some.

You can plan for an elite flight of Phantoms (for example), knowing it will leave you very little spare SO points throughout the campaign to bid on missions - meaning you'll have the better fighters, but probably get stuck with crappier ordnance and last choice on the mission to take. Or take inferior fighters, leaving you buckets of SO points, that you can then use to get better weapons or use to out-bid the other players on missions to get your preferred first pick.

I do like the idea of limiting the weapons pool, so, so selection of those becomes more restrictive, but... man, a LOT of weapons are used in a campaign. Keeping track of those from the start seems like...I dunno, more paperwork than value it adds, probably?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.