Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am contemplating getting the Battle of the Bulge version of PG. Any thoughts?

I am relatively new to the PG system and wargaming as a whole, and I recently purchased "Semper Fi: Guadalcanal" but I don't think it is a very good intro system (too many exceptions and little rules for hidden units, jungle, etc.).

So I want to get another one that will help me learn the system a little better before I take a whack at Guadalcanal. Plus, I see that Jungle Fighting can combine the Bulge and Guadalcanal....

Any thoughts? Is the Bulge a pretty good way to learn the system? Are there enough varieties of scenarios that I will enjoy it?

Thanks.

-Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the answer to this one. Maybe someone could help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Definitely.

I reviewed this PG game a little while back, specifically as an intro game. There are exceptions to the maps for some scenarios, but they tend to be global--as in ignore the hills, or ignore the fields, etc. There are very few "special rules." This module is far better for learning the system than the Airborne, intro scenario they sell.

Absolutely make sure you download the latest rules and tables--3rd Edition--because BotB does not ship with those rules (unless they've recently started including them).

The combination of low price and great scenario selection makes this my recommended starter module. For sheer value though, Deluxe East Front is even better, but you have to be interested in fighting on the East Front rather than in the west.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Absolutely make sure you download the latest rules and tables--3rd Edition--because BotB does not ship with those rules (unless they've recently started including them).

The copy I purchased from AP in late November had the third edition rules in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.